"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Saturday9 "And what were you doing in the 60's Mommie?"




Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

OK folks.  If you would like to join in, and this is always a lot of fun, please use the link to 9ers in the side bar.

Saturday 9: All Night Long (All Night)
(because Lia asked for an 80s song)

If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.

1) This music video was produced by Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. Can you name a Monkees song?
Did they have any original songs?  I remember them singing "I'll be True to You."

2) The song includes the foreign sounding phrases, "Oh jambali Tom bo li d, say de moi ya," and "Oh, Jambo Jumbo!" Mr. Richie meant to include language indigenous to the Caribbean, but was writing the song under deadline and simply made those phrases up instead. Tell about the most recent time you cheated or "cut corners." 
I've cut a few corners trying to finish a sock.  I am SO sick of this pair, the foot anyway, that I'm even thinking of running the yarn through the last few stitches and tying it off!

3) Richie was a frat boy at college. Kappa Kappa Psi, to be exact. Were you a member of a fraternity or sorority?  I was "rushed" but never had the honor.  I guess I just wasn't posh enough maybe?  In view of what happened a few years later, I was more IN than they thought!

4) When this song topped the charts (September 1983), Vanessa Williams became the first African American to be crowned as Miss America. Do you watch beauty pageants?  No, but I do think that Miss Congeniality deserved an Oscar for just about everything in it!  Vanessa Williams is a gorgeous gal!  She deserved to win it that pageant, not to say that other African American women hadn't already deserved to.

5) Since it's Labor Day weekend, that holiday established to celebrate the American worker, let's talk about the workplace. Tellers work in a bank, actors work on a stage or a set, auto workers work on an assembly line. How would you describe your workplace?  I used to work on a self imposed production line.  I made things to sell at shows.  I'm crooked and agéd now so only do things for the DDs, special favors, and sometimes for gifts.


6) An estimated 40% of us have dated a coworker. Have you ever had an office romance?
I could be mysterious and tease Mr. Z. with something but, no, he was my first and only boyfriend and, though we worked in the same building, we didn't meet at work. 

7) Labor Day is a big weekend for travel. How did you book your last vacation? (Online, through a travel agent, over the phone ...)
We live in a place full of beautiful beaches so we stay put for this holiday.  When I think of Labor, I never think about hourly wage earners anymore.  ;o)


 

 8) Mother Winters won't wear white again now until next Memorial Day. Sam thinks that's just crazy. Where do you fall in this heated mother/daughter debate?
Twaddle!  I say, "Wear what looks good on you, and if it's white, wear it all the time if you want to."  Colors, some of them, used to be reserved for royalty, and a person could have a jail sentence -or worse - for wearing them at all. 

9) When you look at back on Summer 2014, what will you remember?
I will remember that this is the summer the AC went on.  I can breathe again!


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was an having endured it for 20 years I'm reveling in it now. I stay home from everything if the mercury goes to 81 outside. Sorry it took so long to get back to your comment! Time got away from me these past two weeks.

      Delete
  2. I was telling my history class just yesterday that purple was the color of royalty and how indigo was such an important crop in the Carolinas' founding--and how people would be imprisoned for wearing purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange that could happen? Oh how times have changed, but still we have people who act like royals and want to lord it over others. The book I'm reading is a classic example of this trait not having to have been instilled by any prior history that governed that desire. The "new" party, just picked up that horrid human nature and ran with it. Putting people in prison for wearing purple. Sheesh!

      Delete
  3. I'm so grateful for a/c. Not sure what I would do without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have it, I'm feeling alive again, and have a lot less stress in life just waking and facing a summer's day. I'm glad that you have AC too. It's better for the little animals we live with too. No one should have to roast through a day, unless, like in the rain forest, you were built on that model!

      Delete
  4. I'm curious -- what did you mean when you asked if the Monkees had any original songs? I don't recall them doing any covers (or songs made famous by other groups) so I guess all their hits were originals. Or were you wondering if they were songwriters? (This is why my mother said I "dwelled.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gal. I got a good education on the Monkees by reading all the posts and also a little research. And, yes, I was wondering if they had just used other people's music. I'm not familiar with the Monkees because I'm too old to have been in their time period or else I had my head tuned into Rockers. See, I don't even know where they actually fit. It was just a question because I'd seen that they had a TV show, so thought they used other peoples music. I assumed. Not a good thing to do at all. Lol!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..