"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Saturday 9: One of my all time favorites




Moon River

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Moon River (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Thanks Sam!

1) This song is featured in a Dove candy bar commercial. What's your favorite way to enjoy chocolate (cookie, candy bar, ice cream, hot cocoa, etc.)?  I love dark chocolate truffle bars from Trader Joes, and Justin's Organic Peanut Butter Cups from Costco.  I used to love all of the above mentioned items, too!

2) It was originally written for the movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's. Where's the best place to eat breakfast in your neighborhood?  It's called Coco's and they have a sort of reputation for baking awesome pies.  Of course, homemade pie is better but Coco's makes some fantastic ones.  The meal to go to is breakfast though and take a pie home with you.  Works for me!

3) Were you able to see the moon last night?  I didn't get to see it.  Overcast was in off the ocean by the time I looked.

4) When Andy Williams' show was first telecast in color, viewers commented on how very blue his eyes were. What's the first thing you notice about a person?  Their eyes, but the first thing I noticed about Andy Williams was that VOICE!  I think that Andy Williams, Peri Como, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and an almost forgotten Louie Prima, had the most amazing singing voices ever.

5) The Andy Williams Show gave the Osmond Brothers their first national exposure. When younger sister Marie joined the act, she made her debut on his show, as well. Let's say you have just been bumped up to first-class for a three hour flight. Which Osmond would you prefer as your seatmate, Donny or Marie?  I'll pick Marie.  I think we'd have more in common.

6) Even though Andy was a millionaire many times over, he was still careful with money, once saying he would never pay more than $50 for a haircut. This leaves Sam shaking her head, because she spares no expense when it comes to her hair. What's something you splurge on?  I splurge on nothing anymore.  But I do intend to redo the garden so there will be splurging going on again around here.

7) Andy's Moon River Theater still draws tourists to Branson, MO. Have you ever been to the Ozarks?  Nope, never had the pleasure, and pleasure it would be.  We have some friends who retired to a place near Branson, and I really would love to see my once BFF again.

8) Andy had a discerning eye for Native American art. His collection of Navajo rugs was sold at auction for nearly $1,000,000. Have you ever bid on an auction?  Yes, I once bought a bifold mirror on auction.  I still have it.  It's a table top one.  Plain but in a way, beautiful to me.  Also, we used to buy things at the silent auctions for charity and rockclubs.  They are fun!  I'm not surprised that those rugs go for so much, and the silver rings.  They are quite beautiful.  The Navajo learned to weave from the Hopis, you know.

9) Andy told an interviewer that his earliest memory was hiding from a storm in the cellar of his family's Iowa home. What's your earliest memory?  I've answered this before.  I was barely 2 and a half when I cut myself on razor blades, and smeared blood on the stairwell, screaming my head off down to the first floor of my grandparent's farmhouse.  That sort of trauma makes for some unbelievably vivid memories.  I feel really sorry for Andy and other tiny kids in the path of disasters.  They don't forget those things.

Sam Says:
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I love reading your Saturday 9s. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I love writing the meme's and especially this one. Glad you enjoy them. :o)

      Delete
  2. I totally forgot about silent auctions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kwizgiver, silent anything is,well, sort of forgettable. hehe

      Delete
  3. OMG, what a horrible first memory!! That makes me so sad for Little You. :( I'll have to look up that almost-forgotten singer you mentioned. Are you a fan of Josh Groban? I think he has a wonderful voice, too... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Mz S. Thanks.. it's truly unforgettable. The blood on the wall seems to be immortal in my mind.

      Oh! Singers, I tend to like Baritones the best, but there are Operatic Tenors that are totally Boss! Thanks for the intro to Josh Groban, I listened and liked is song, "Brave". You're right, "Wonderful".

      Delete
  4. it's funny you say auctions are fun whereas i think they'd be too much! well, i've never been to one live--i've only seen it on tv, which i guess is just for drama... :P and ouch on the razors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun if you don't get nervous. I would actually go to more auctions if I needed anything at all, which I do not. "Shudders". I'm trying to off load things. lol! :-| No mas por favor! Yes, I think they do a lot of drama on TV, and not restricted to game shows!

      And thanks. I was so shocked, and mentally hurt, that those sparkly, pretty things made me bleed! That wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe they looked like chewing gum..in fact, I think I thought that's what they were, sticks of gum.

      Delete
  5. We have been to many auctions and they are fun...but you can get carried away with the bidding...Love these singers. They don't make them like this anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, yes, you can get away without bidding. Or setting an absolutely firm price you will not go beyond, not a single penny. About the singers, No, there are a few that you see who have done a switch to non-classical singing, but there aren't many. Tenors are almost always the leads now in pop music.

      Delete
  6. Ew! That memory is truly harrowing!

    I know Louis Prima as The King in The Jungle Book. That's the great thing about movies. People live on forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have a similar incident when I was younger! I still carry the trauma - the sight of blood really gets to me and I faint.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..