"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Some Bunny Loves you..... and some Wayback Machine travel to a farm in Ohio, too.

I'm not going to make it to Sunday Stealing as there is a big ToDo going this weekend. But I hope you enjoy the rabbit kittens, which I like as much as feline kittens for cuteness. We used to raise Holland Lops for show at 4H while I was homeschooling. There is NOTHING cuter than a rabbit kitten.
Ok, tell me you can resist this cuteness.
Couldn't you just eat them up!
Just Kidding!
In my mind's eye I can still see the tiny, mighty BunBun - all of five weeks old and weighing in at five ounces - "measuring" the cardboard "fence" of her enclosure, and then leaping about ten times her body length to almost clear the darn thing.  We taped on additional cardboard.

I don't think the kits above are Hollands but are babies probably from a similar breed.  Those little kits seem to be too dark in the eye for New Zealands, Below, which are the World's favorite eating rabbit.  
New Zealand White Kits have light pink eyes and are less cobby

When I was young, on mother's farm, we used to eat rabbit, chicken and the occasional bit of ground beef.  I can't imagine eating any rabbits NOW!  Oh that is disgusting!

But, then again, I can hear my grandmother's voice telling my four year old self that we had just eaten venison last Sunday, and "I'd like it just fine on my plate, and didn't I enjoy last week's roast?

Anyway, as we watched safely from the kitchen window - far above the action - Grandfather and the other hunters hoisted up a huge Elk,  and "Processed it".  Unfortunately, Mother had not long before that read Bambi to me.   I was four years old and thought they were hurting the animal because I didn't realize it was actually already dead.  After Grandmother's and my discussion, which I think was the first time I'd ever thought about where my food actually came from, I was pretty solemn.  I knew about milk and eggs, but yummy roasts?  And chicken?

Next time Grandpa went hunting, he brought back some big rabbits, most of which went into a stew.  Grandmother was careful to remove MOST of the buckshot, but hapless me, I got a piece with hair and a little ball of lead shot.  I can still remember the feeling of the fur in my mouth, and remember Grandpa reaching across the table to help me get it out of my mouth.  He didn't want his little Brown Eyed Susan eating that ball of lead!

It's amazing what a person remembers the most about things when they themselves are small.  That little ball of shot took some hair with it into the meat.  I couldn't eat it after that!

Here is a site for the Names of Animal babies 

I realize this is much more than you wanted to know about rabbits, or maybe even about hunting but that's a farm!  And, this won't happen again.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is important for people to know and think about where their food comes from. This is one of the reasons I raise my own..Food does not come, wrapped up in dinner size portions from the grocery store. Most of it comes from factory farms where the animals live a terrible life prior to ending up on our tables. Keep up the good work of keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, you are so right. We need to be aware of what the modern meat industry is doing, AND to what they are doing to the farmers as well.

    Some chicken farmers for Corporate are now so full of the antibiotics that they MUST, according to Tyson among others, feed the animals, that the farmers themselves are immune to the drugs, and can no longer benefit from normal antibiotics should they fall ill.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..