"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday9: One night in Bangkok


Saturday 9: One Night in Bangkok (1984)





Want to play along?  Go HERE

Saturday 9: One Night in Bangkok (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is from the play Chess. It's been said that the most successful players are fluid in their thinking. Do you consider yourself flexible or set in your ways?
Fluid.  In fact, maybe even Scatty?

2) Nigel Short, a real-life chess grandmaster, used to wear a t-shirt that said, "He who cares, wins." Do you always play to win? Or do you play board/card games or sports for the fun of it?
Fun.  It was always for fun.  Well, maybe not Monopoly.  That was for keeps, and the real estate. ;o)  

3) The singer is in Bangkok for an important tournament. He maintains that he doesn't mind missing the sights and dismisses Bangkok is just another "crowded, polluted stinking town." Do you find big cities exciting? Or do you think of them as noisy and dirty?
I think I cannot judge cities by the big Monster called Los Angeles.  There have to be big cities, like maybe Montreal, or Paris, that have a whole lot more charm than L.A.  San Diego is OK looking back from the Bayside, except, that is, for the stupid airport.

4) Air pollution has reached serious levels Bangkok. Do you suffer from allergies, asthma or another condition that could be aggravated by pollution?
Yes, I do, not to mention theDDs sufferings, and that is the major reason we wanted away from the outfall of a big city;  we moved to San Diego.  Not all that much better, but enough better.  I'd have gone to Central Coast instead, where the air is practically pure.

5) To reduce traffic, commuters travel through Bangkok on ferries that make regularly scheduled trips up and down the Chao Phraya River. When was your last boat ride?
To Catalina from Santa Monica, years ago.  I love getting out on that ocean.  I stood right up on the bow and watched the flying fish.

6) Round trip airfare between ATL and BKK is $1750. If we gave you a travel voucher for that dollar amount, how would you spend it?
Well, I wouldn't fly.  I would take a trip up the coast all the way to Canada then turn East and go as far as possible before looping home again.  I would like to see Canada, but I've seen what happens at the Border sometimes and just know I'm too old to be "detained" in Vancouver.  No thanks.

7) The Holiday Inn Express in Bangkok has a McDonald's onsite. When you go somewhere new, do you find it comforting to be surrounded by what's familiar? Or would you prefer to try new things?
Usually we just ask the locals.  They know where the best food is.  I have to be so careful what I eat that we usually look for vegetarian Chinese.  And/or Chipotle anytime.  So, it's a toss isn't it? And no, I don't eat at McDonald's.  

8) One of Bangkok's most popular restaurants is DID, which stands for Dine in Dark. The dining room at DID is 100% light free -- cell phones must be stored in the lobby to avoid distracting from the experience -- so customers eat their four course meal without seeing it. This heightens the diner's sense of taste and smell. When you prepare a meal, do you put a great deal of care into its presentation?
Once upon a time, I was a really good cook.  It was one thing that theDDs have remarked about  several times.  I used to bake all our bread, before the tiny twin storm troopers arrived, that is.  I didn't stop baking bread or tortillas, just slowed way down. *smiles*

9) Random question: Think about your last professionally prepared meal. Did you dine in, carry out, or have it delivered?
We dined out.  It was excellently prepared, locally sourced, organic and cruelty free.  It's a tiny restaurant in Liberty Station.  The Fig Tree Eatery.  They actually have three locations.  San Diego is a good place to find great food!

 Gee, now I'm hungry again.  See what you did!  *winks*

14 comments:

  1. No offense to any Los Angelinos, but LA is one of my least favorite cities. You can't walk it, and there's no real city center. Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC ... give me a city I can traverse and really SEE when I'm on foot and I'm happy. San Francisco and Toronto are pretty cool, too. But I'm with you -- LA's charm eludes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to live in that city when it was growing up and so was I. The air there made me sick. There is no excuse to have allowed that monster to grow except it made a lot of people a lot of money. Awful place. It's like a punishment just having to go through it to get anywhere. There is North Hollywood, and there is Westwood. They are pretty. But all that smog reaches so far inland that San Bernardino is not a safe air place, either. I could go on but I won't. Many nice places, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, but that AIR!

      Delete
  2. Your description of your boat trip made me smile. I picture on the bow, arms flung wide to the wind, yelling "I'm queen of the world!" lol

    Have a great Saturday, Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thank you, Stacy! Right back to you But now for Sunday!
      Sorry to have got back so late to these. Actually you have to grip the five foot bow rails to stay on board but My Lord was it ever fun!

      Delete
  3. I love playing Monopoly board game because you can cheat and squat on a property without paying rent, something you can't do on the electronic version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever played Monopoly on line and why did they spoil all our fun?? By squat, you mean that if the owner doesn't catch you there? hahaha.. so much fun. Have a great week, Diana!

      Delete
  4. I love your new header picture!

    Usually when I'm on a boat, I'm safely from the rails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kwizgiver. Those are the perennial tiny pale pink day lilies, the ones that now live in a tortoise proof chicken wire enclosure. :o)

      Safely away from the rails is smart. But these boats are big ones and you can safely stay by the bow rails. Just hang on! lol

      Delete
  5. I was just in LA over the summer and I wasn't really that excited about it. It's too crowded. The sun is way too bright for me. And I just don't get it. San Diego is so much prettier in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LA is just hot and stuffy and the air is bad. Very crowded and I swear they NEVER quit building freeways, ever! San Diego is very pretty and a lot smaller. We have no other little city to gobble up like Los Angeles did, and they fight like tigers if you try it! And we are right next to the international border so no "lebensraum" there. LA was like an anaconda.

      Delete
  6. I always liked Monopoly. But it is hard to play a good board game with just two people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have alter-egos. Yes? Just switch hats and personalities. Good landowner, Bad landowner, yes? giggles

      Delete
  7. oooooh, your one of Those at Monopoly! ;) you would fit in with my son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. er, one of, of, THOSE? hahaha. yes, I am.

      There was a documentary about real life monopolies and the havoc they cause. In it there is a discussion of the game monopoly, as played by a young boy and his grandmother. She was trying to teach him why monopolies were bad.

      So, your son has not learned that slumlords are just as effective as the high rollers in winning? Surround with slums and squeeze? *evil eyes roll*

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..