"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Saturday9: Johnny Cash: Man In Black

Saturday 9. 

Like to join in to this meme?  Go HERE to see how. 

My note.....This song shows how musical genius works...



Saturday 9: The Man in Black (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 24, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?
No, I didn't.   They aren't selling anything I need.

2) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?  What would you buy?
Best Buy.  Electronics.

3) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
The game was on and a few people were watching parts of it here and there.  We had a very nice potluck dinner.  

4) Thanksgiving weekend is a major time for travel. How far did you venture from home for the holiday?
We traveled about seven miles.

5) This week's song, "Man in Black," is about a singer who refuses to wear bright colors. What color are you wearing as you answer these questions?
 I'm wearing a night shirt that has little cartoon elephant heads all over in many colors, along with black dots scattered around between them.  

6) Johnny Cash first performed this song at Nashville's Vanderbilt University. When were you last on a college campus? What brought you there?
Our whole, nuclear family was at Berkeley, to watch Gee graduate.  This was in June of 2014.

 7) The average American man wears a 10.5 size shoe, the average woman wears a 7.5. Johnny Cash wore a size 13. Are your shoes bigger or smaller than the national average?
I wear an 8. Sometimes a 7.5.  Depends on the shoe.

8) He preferred his coffee very strong. To make sure what he was drank was to his liking, he carried a jar of instant coffee with him and would ladle it into his cup in restaurants. What about you? What's your standard coffee order? 
I rarely drink coffee anymore and haven't had any for at least two years.  When I did drink it, I liked it strong and black.

9) While in the air force, Cash wrote short stories under the pseudonym "Johnny Dollar." Make up a pen name for yourself.
Thorvold Reinhart.  I have a "thing" about Vikings.  I like them very much.  I would like to pretend to be one while writing.  


14 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving everyone was watching football except my sister-in-law and my niece who were preparing dinner (I asked if I could help and they said that they had everything and didn't need any help) so I was reading out n the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is good. Especially if you had a little glass of wine by your side. I don't like to watch games because of all the gun and ammo talk and some other unpleasantnesses. I think one whole side of the family are red necks. lol

      Delete
  2. I should have said "depends on the shoe," too. I don't even try to buy shoes online because I simply have to try them on, just to be sure of the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, Gal. I like to try them on, and lately I've only bought Tevas and sketchers and both I tried on first. I've always hated to wear shoes but always loved to look at them.

      Delete
  3. I live near a Swedish Colony (here in Northern Maine) and there are some folks from Norway, too. Every now and then I'll have a student with a good Viking name, like Gunnar or Stefan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a lot of fun to live nearby. There is a place called Solvang here in California, a sort of Swedish enclave. We took the kids up there when they were younger, and we loved that place. Swedes and Norwegians were deadly enemies not all that long ago. lol I think history is a real kick in the head anymore. so funny. That's when we were first introduced to Hopjes which we fell in love with and made them a "rite" in our little "religion". I really love the Viking names.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. oh ya! Berkeley is Top in my book, too!
      She wasn't sure she could pull it off, but she did it with style!

      Delete
  5. A thing about Vikings, huh? I think you should try to write like a Viking for your next TT. That would be entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try that. Should I use Runic? heehee
      Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  6. YAY! We are both 8's :) I agree- the deals were not that great this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they weren't that great this year. I never did find a down coat. *stamps foot* lol
      And yes, we are! Hooray for 8's! Just big enough to keep you from tipping over on your nose. hahahaha

      Delete
  7. I would NEVER buy shoes online. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit between having flat feet and a very narrow heel. Nearly every shoe sloshes around on my heel.
    Love your pen name. I never thought about using a male name, but your's is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Stacy. That just floated so easily up from the blue that before I wrote it down, I researched it. I thought that it surely had been gleaned by my brain from some history tome or the latest news from Europe. Happily it wasn't. ;o)

      Oh shoes on line, from Zappos were always nice, but I got out of the habit of wearing shoes so stopped ordering them. It's just too easy, these days to get a closet full of shoes! Imelda Marcos will never live this down will she?

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..