"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Son of a Preacher Man. Saturday 9

Welcome to Saturday: 9.  

We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Son of a Preacher Man (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Want to join the fun, or see other entries? Go here
  
1) This song was originally offered to Aretha Franklin, who turned it down. What's the most recent thing that you said "no" to?
Off hand,  I can't think of anything.  Maybe it was a “no” to something to eat?  Most likely it was no to very tempting chocolate,  and directed at myself. 😂

2) Two years later, Aretha recorded "Son of a Preacher Man." What's something you changed your mind about? 
By the time I get through examining something, 🤔 I usually don't change my mind.

3) This song tells the tale of Billy Ray, a young man who could be very persuasive. If we wanted to change your mind about something, would you be more easily swayed by an emotional argument, or with verifiable facts?
 That would take Verifiable facts, and not easily. It's the Emotional, knee jerk stuff  that has gotten us all into this current mess - well, that, Black money, and voter fraud, to name a few crimes against humanity arising recently. 

4) If you ordered a "Son of a Preacher Man" in a bar, you'd get a cocktail made with peppermint schnapps, gin and lemonade. When did you last have lemonade? Was it just lemonade, or was it spiked with alcohol?
It was only lemonade,  and with fish and chips.  Putting booze in lemonade sounds like a good way to ruin perfectly good ingredients.

5) Dusty had a thing for maps. She admired them artistically and enjoyed using them to take long car trips. Do you use printed maps? Or do you rely on technology, like GPS or Google Maps?
I also like maps for the reasons that Dusty did.  And, I like to use a mix of maps and technology.  I can read charts, but I like sonar and radar, too.  I can read quadrangle (topographic) maps, and road maps.  I also like GPS and to a certain extent Google maps.  I have trouble with Google because, unless it's on my PC or iPad, the map is rather small.

6) As a girl, she attended convent school. There, one of the nuns discouraged Dusty from performing, telling her that if she would do better to be a mother or a librarian. When you were growing up, did the adults in your world encourage your dreams? I had to keep my grades up or I got a whipping from the sperm donor dad unit.  Happily, I was smart enough to do this.  Mother was the only one who encouraged us in any meaningful way.  I bless that woman every day and say good night to her, and I tell her that I hope she can hear it.

7) That nun inspired Dusty's first major act of rebellion. In an attempt to make herself look less like a future librarian or housewife, she bleached her hair platinum blonde. In school, were you much of a rebel? Or did you conform to the expectations adults had of you?
I was a non-conformer but it really didn't show in rebellion, per se.  I just bided my time, kept my grades up, and kept hoping that somehow I would be able to use my brain to get me somewhere.  Unfortunately, the one time my mother tried to help me finish college, my father's short comings as a real parent nixed it. 
And then Viet Nam took over for our generation.  It Loomed out there like a seething, fiery, black cloud. No one really knew what to do.  I'm glad to have met and married when I did.  DH had had to quit college because of his own situation with his parent, and he was "prime meat" to land in uniform.  We met just in time to establish our family and save this wonderful guy from a later life of horror or worse.  I thank God for this every single day.

8) Early in her career, Dusty provided the entertainment at a family summer camp. She appeared on the bill with a clown, a fire-eater and a hypnotist. Have you ever been hypnotized?
Nope.

9) Random question: Have you ever played matchmaker to your friends? If yes, did your efforts lead to romance?  No, I never did that.  I wasn't dating myself so, no surprise.  

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Zippi, I just KNOW your mother hears you. Each and every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet to hear. Thank you Gal. I always wonder about these things, it's been so long now.

      Delete
  2. I hope your mom can hear you. You were lucky to have her in your life to balance out the harm your dad did. So many kids, especially these days, end up with two crappy parents. You were blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were blessed to have our mom. I wish she'd have had the strength to leave him, but things were a lot different for women back in the 40's through the 60's. We are alive now, like never before and we won't take abuse anymore, not most of us anyway. I'm grateful for the people who help women and children get OUT of such situations now. There's a lot more help these days.

      Delete
  3. In Xena: Warrior Princess, one of the things they always said was, "The dead can hear our thoughts." I think that has truth to it. I'm sure your mom does hear you. She's probably looking in on you every night, too. You're such a sweetie. I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CountryDew. I'm so glad we are fellow bloggers and friends. ~♥~ Xena is right, There is something else going on besides this existence. To be sure there is.
      I am hoping to see my mom and hoping that she and my daughter have found each other in heaven. Those, "the kingdom of Heaven is all around you, but you perceive it not" sort of thoughts are comforting at this time, too.

      Delete
  4. I had a high school friend who lived on our street, he was so gung-ho to join the Marines and go to Vietnam to stop those commies. He didn't last two months "in-country" before he stepped on a land mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dear, that's so very sad. They really sucked the young men in with this falsehood. Kennedy saw the wrong of it, and was just about to end it when he was murdered. I think a lot about this.

      Delete
  5. Talk about chocolate, I got these sugar free chocolate bars from Trader Joe's the last time that I visited my son (I live in a town that will never see a Joe's). I'm almost out of those chocolate bars but, I am flying up to see him this week..lol.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, my friend, have a "supplier/enabler". heehee
      TJ's should have a counterpart somewhere east of the Rockies. Maybe you can find the bars on Amazon? Yes, I am an enabler!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..