"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Sunday Stealing: Thankgiving, and a little taking I reckon.

Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog  authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. You may have heard the expression, “honor among thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from, if possible. We also provide a link to the victim's questions in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from recently asked questions from a previously post. 

Cheers to all of us thieves!

With Thanksgiving coming up this week, I thought it might be fun to find a set of Thanksgiving-related questions.  This came from a site called Documented Legacy

1.  What made you feel patriotic this year?
Thanksgiving, for me, has a different focus. Patriotism has nothing to do with this one it seems to me.
 I guess I'll answer anyway.  I feel better about being American, when I know that the Justice Department, the Courts, and the Senate and House members are starting to work together to save the Constitution from Crass Vulture Capitalism and the War Industry it spawned.  
I know that Constitution belongs to all the People and their Government, and will be protected.  It's not going to be handed over to some far right pseudo Christian group but will remain free of any establishment of Religious zealots, just as Jefferson, Washington, and the other signatories of the Declaration of Independence meant it to be.  It's a People's Government, Of, By and For the People.  ALL the people.  All of us... Not just some, All..... 

2 . What do you value most about your life?
My family.

3.  What do you appreciate about your friendships
That we can have fun together, respect and love our diversity, and share things, especially laughter.

4.  Name one person who can make you laugh, even months later. Why?
Do you mean someone whose jokes make me laugh even months later?  My sister used to have the craziest sense of humor.  I used to love to spend time with her and go places with her because we both shared our mother's droll, ironic sense of humor.  (Our brother does, too, actually.)  
My sister once said that God should remake the earth, and humans, but instead of Adam and Eve, He would say to Himself, "Well that didn't work out well LAST time, so this time I shall make Eve and Eve."  She made movements with her hands as if to shape two new beings from the dust.  
(I know there are a LOT of men who would be missed sorely, but many that would NOT be.) heehee

5.  What is the funniest thing you remember about a Thanksgiving past?
Funny?  Nothing funny... I'd love to meet all the girls and their Partners out somewhere like we did once at Joshua Tree, and have that very special meal together.

6.  Do you have any unusual traditions, rituals or habits around Thanksgiving?
Not really.  I change the Blog Header.  What we do now is just an average sort of thing.  It's sort of a classic Norman Rockwell, mid-western meal.  We do play the LCR game.  It's a blast.  That and the pie is what I truly enjoy about it now.  I just take my knitting and and stay out of the way because it's loud and I can't talk loud.  

7.  Name one ancestor that you think about on Thanksgiving and tell us why.
My Mother.  She strove to keep every holiday fun and traditional for her children.  She wanted us to have happy memories.  Mother was one of the quietest persons but she had a little will of iron sometimes.  She could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you see.  She was good.

8.  Is there a family heirloom at the Thanksgiving table? What its story?
No.  I don't think there was much left of what mother inherited from her parents, and not anything you'd use at Thanksgiving.  The already rich relatives on Grandpa's Mother's side got it all.

9.  What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving Day?
I suppose it's the little bit of catching up I get to have on the Grand Nieces and Nephews who come to that celebration. And I'm always happy to see  some others there, also.  

10. What random act of kindness did you perform or that was done to you this year that makes you feel grateful?
Mr. Z gets that one for our family.  Recently, he stopped, and, with another man who also stopped, they managed to rescue a little dog off a busy four lane street where it was running around.  They found the owner, through a neighborhood network site, who was visiting from another state.  There ensued a very a happy re-union.  Special happiness. 

My random acts are usually through PayPal and involve meat market dogs, as well as any and all other earthlings.  The only thing random about that is that I get an email from time to time for a cause.  
Mr. Z reminded me that I give money to homeless folks.  One of them was on a freeway ramp in Santa Cruz, this June, and when he spoke I thought immediately "I am meeting the Lord!"  It was a random thought so there's the random part.  There was just something so different in this man's voice and demeanor.   He was so gentle even if  ragged and careworn.

11. What do you appreciate about the change of seasons?
We don't really get a change of seasons here, and lately we haven't had much of what we and the Australians call, "The Wet".  We are just not getting ANY rain, and I thought we would have a wet September.  All the signs were there but it didn't happen.  So we have having an unending thing called, "The Dry".  I'm exhausted with it.  I want rain!

12. Name five things that make you happy about today.
1.... Doing this meme since I do it on Saturday night. 
2.... Reading, answering and commenting on blogs in the Saturday9 meme ring.
3.... playing our on line game together 
4.... working the cross words together 
5.... flying low through Instagram this morning, and seeing all the sunsets, birds and animals!

13. How has the celebration of Thanksgiving today changed from when you were little?
Not a lot.  Holidays were stressful then even though mother did her best to make things go well.  I've found that Holidays away from my children are sad and stressful.  I never knew that my family would scatter, but they are happy where they are, so I'm thankful for that.  

14. If you could share Thanksgiving dinner today with one person in history who would it be? Why? (Note: it can be a relative)
I can think of no one but my daughter Elle, and I don't want her back for just a day.  So, No one I guess.  

15. What is one wish you have for the next generation as they begin to establish their own Thanksgiving traditions.
I wish them Peace, as Heaven gives it, and not as the World does.  I think that about covers all the ills they may be facing in the years to come, and it would be something besides material wealth that most people thank God for at thanksgiving.  This is something that they can have without any, "yes, but only ifs" build into it. 

NOTE:  If you would like to see more participants blog entries, or participate yourself, please go HERE

14 comments:

  1. Being able to laugh and appreciate each other's diversity is a huge thing these days. Everyone is so touchy about everything.
    The more I hear about your mother, the gladder I am that you had her in your life. She sounds a great deal like my mother-in-law and oh, how I loved that dear, gentle woman. My father-in-law was a drunk and not the nicest person when they were raising their family, but she blanketed her children in love and they never knew they were poor or lacking in any way.
    Those rich relatives that got everything sound like my mother-in-laws siblings...they got all of her mother's things and she got the junk that was left over.
    Love your wish for the younger generations.
    Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving, Zippy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy, and I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving both for you and your loved ones. Thank you for loving that wish, too. We will have to work hard to make it come true for them.
      Your mother in law sounds like a wonderful gal. Oh what "war stories" she and my mother would have been able to share!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kwizgiver, for reading here and for all your nice comments over the years. I admire that you are a teacher of the young in the US. It's not an easy task but you do it very well indeed. With the heart and the head.

      Delete
  3. I loved all your answers today, especially #1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev. Thank you for doing this Meme every week. It's one of the highlights of my week!

      Oh yes, #1. If we forget that it is the Constitution that is at risk, we will lose even more of our rights. We certainly do not need Religious Sects establishing themselves as State Religions. We do not need that anymore than we need to have more "elitists" thinking that the "unwashed" need not concern themselves with the erosion of their own freedoms.

      Delete
  4. That is an interesting take on what the Constitution should mean to us! Myself, I love a religious zealot or two!! Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it doesn't impact the rights of others to have their own rights respected, in a country built not by any religious zealot, we can agree. I do like zeal and fervor in religion, but if you start adding it to a government, there are just a shed load of problems that arise. We need to protect the Constitution and the future generations of free thinking and freedom loving Americans as this is their birthright, too.

      Delete
  5. Mr. Z is completely my hero, after saving that little dog.

    And I always thought that separation of Church and State thing was a good idea. I recall JFK's speech about how in 1960, the "finger of suspicion" was pointed at him as a Catholic, but that soon it could "a Jew--or a Quaker--or a Unitarian--or a Baptist." Or Muslim. It's sad and unAmerican to try to legislate faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell him that you said this. He's an amazing person. I love him more every year that passes.
      And, Yes, it is sad, and unAmerican to try to legislate faith. We do not need another Holy Roman Empire on our hands. There will be untold evils unleashed if that happens. I hope everyone in this can keep their heads.

      Delete
  6. A very thoughtful and intriguing SS today, Zippi. I like your take on #1. I didn't know why the question was in this batch. What does patriotism have to do with Thanksgiving, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CountryDew. Sometimes I think too much, but this seemed ok.
      Well, it's a little strange to have that question in the mix but then, it's also quite relevent because it goes to the root of our budding democracy, a people yearning to be free. I will set aside the question of the genocide that was to occur for another time, as the people alive today are not responsible for it. We can't be proud of that part of your shared history, by any means.

      Delete
  7. Darn, it just deleted my comment, and now I don't remember half of it.

    I am sorry you didn't get any of your mother's heirloom-y things. That's a big bite in the butt. :( I'm with you on signing the petitions. WOOHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Ms Smellyann. I've done that, or worse. I so very much understand that deleting thinga.
    Well, my Grandpa left home when he was 13 and became a cabin boy on a steam ship. So, there wasn't much contact for him although his two toffee nosed sisters would come to him from time to time for advice. They were a couple of airheads. He left home because he didn't like being bossed around by his widowed mother's new upscale husband, and said so....So of course, they took it all. It continued on down into my generation, with a big fancy brief from a lawyer saying that if I contested a will left by one of them I would be immediately disinherited. I gave them the final kiss goodbye. It would have been nice to have the money for the kids' educations, but at what price? Hell toupee? There's a cartoon that goes with that. Sometime I might post it. It involves OWB.
    So, yes, sign all those darn petitions!

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..