"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday 13: Cloud watching, with a little preaching..... It can be a career....lol

Skies and clouds and what to call them..

I am a career sky watcher, and from early in life.  It's been a joy, mostly, to watch the sky and learn the names of all the clouds types above my head.

If you'd like to have more information, go to this Meteorology site link of a world wide network of enthusiasts.

So, Here are Thirteen types, out of an amazing variety, of clouds:

1. Mackerel  which some also call Buttermilk clouds. This one looks a little fishy to me.  More like pure Mackerel.... i.e. Altocumulus

Irene Baker's Blog

2. These are also in the  Altocumulus cloud group, but they are called Altocumulus lenticularis

Photo by Matthew Clark



3. Cumulonimbus, or Thunderheads
Smithsonian Public Image
These, above, are both beautiful and terrifying, but isn't it good to be scared out of your wits by nature every once in awhile.  It puts human life back into perspective.

4.  I know this is cheating, but couldn't resist when it came up in the search:

 The Virtual Cloud  An interesting ( and a little, um, "salty" in places) article to go with clouds today...   Do you ♥ the Virtual Cloud?  I sort of do.. and sort of don't.  The cloud picture captured my fancy.  I think it's real-i.e., not photo-shopped.  At least not TOO much...It came up listed with the Cumulus,  But, maybe it could be called a "Bologna" sky?



5.  Plain old Cumulus floating about the sky and making all the Earthlings happy.  It's nice to see these after a rain storm.
Image from HERE which may or may not
 be a defunct website.
The author Is Ely B, according to the partial blurb that appears

6.
Wiki
Stratus, and think of them as, well, fog or mist.  Drizzle?  Works for me! this one is stratus opacus


7.
Cirrostratus Clouds.  I'm only putting up ones I've actually seen, so here 'tis.  And that is from an interesting page for Children, HERE.  This page tells why clouds float, among other interesting facts about the Clouds we see on our lovely planet.  These make me very happy.  It's part of the insanity that helps a person survive long enough to write a blog for adults.

8.
Looks a lot like a buttermilk sky to me, too
Cirrocumulus clouds that actually look like Buttermilk clouds to me,  and this image is from HERE


9. 
Alto-stratus Clouds - these are the clouds that you can look down on from the mountain tops from time to time.  Photo is from WikiPedia, and HERE's the link.  And to go with it, here's a time lapse of them from YouTube..




10.  An amazing Stratocumulus Volutus cloud.  Long and lenticular.

This picture is from Popular Science Magazine.  HERE'S that link

11.  The funnel of a Tornado cloud formation...

Everyone in the US knows about this one!

12. Asperitus

Apparently known formerly as, Undulatus Asperatus this form, Asperitus, was newly named in 2009.  Please go HERE  to find out more about it.

13.  Next, newly named,  Flammagenitus  aka Pyrocumulus Cloud, forming above this Huge column of Smoke from a brush fire.

This one above is forming around a Wildfire's smoke pollution.  These clouds, especially if they form up over oceans, are now of some concern.  The conditions they create can have dire consequences, especially for coastal cities.. HERE is the article about this cloud.

And for something else about clouds and Climate Change:
There are about twice as many thunderstorms being generated along trans-Pacific Shipping lanes, a new study is suggesting..  This is science, and I won't tolerate any back chat from Minions of Jerks like you know who... I will not speak that name again..

HERE'S the article about that.. You can follow links and do more research on your own.  The OWB doesn't know or much less understand, so much as HALF of Scientific Data on this subject.

I like to think of some of this as Mother Earth trying to wash something out of her lung, or perhaps her eye.  I also try to remember Revelations, 11:18...  "I will bring ruin to the ruiners of the Earth...."

11 comments:

  1. So we've moved from just naming clouds to naming smoke? Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a cloud behind and slightly above the smoke, though it's hard to see it. The first time I saw this mentioned was on a Weather Channel report where it was mentioned that these large clouds, and severe storms, were starting to be recognized as in association with one another. The immediate reference was to the devastating storm in California. So, anyway, I went looking for more specific information about this development. And there it was... a new cloud formation...

      Delete
  2. so fascinating sandy google not working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy. I'm sorry it isn't working. My settings are all the same, so maybe it was a temporary glitch. Hope so!

      Delete
  3. I once wrote a poem about her shaking us like parasites on her back. The Asperitus is particularly fascinating. I've always called buttermilk clouds "cottage cheese."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asperitus is truly a beauty.
      We jumped up little apes are certainly inclined to build lots of scabs from the things we scrape and dig out of Mother Earth. An Indian Scientist once said, "Who are we? and who knows but that some day God [meaning Shiva] may just decide to flick us off into Space"
      Buttermilk sky as Cottage Cheese. Interesting, and completely appropriate, Buttermilk being what's left after cheese making. lol Good one!

      Delete
  4. The last two were totally unknown to me. Never seen #12; will keep an eye peeled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. :o) Hope you get to see some that are not a "problem child" of the upper atmosphere. i.e. a warning of things to come.
      They happen mostly on the Great Plains, or what's left of that feature, in the US, and also in other places with similar topography, say in Europe and Asia where it's large and flat.

      Delete
  5. Very cool. I like clouds, too, and at one time I knew the names of lots of them but that was long ago and I've forgotten. I should study up on it again. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a great student of Nature. And cloud names are growing... Everytime I look in, there's something aboil.
      There have been several newer ones being sent in for approval of being split rather than staying lumped in. It's sort of like little battle over Yellow-rumped Warblers in the birding community.

      Delete
  6. WOW!!! Those are amazing collections.
    I also enjoy watching clouds but rarely documented them...except for the ones like no.9. That number 9 is one of the reasons why I like hiking :)

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..