"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Saturday 9: Oh Danny Boy...Joni James

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Audience peoples.. want to join in?  Go HERE

Saturday 9: Danny Boy (1956)


"Danny Boy" was selected in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it HERE.

(Gal, I'm glad you chose this old recording.  It's very beautiful.. :o)

1) This is a sad song of farewell. Who is the last person you said "goodbye" or "so long" to?
To my hubby, when he went to work out.

2) According to the 2000 Census, Massachusetts is the state with the largest percentage of residents of Irish descent. Have you ever been to The Bay State?
No, unfortunately, as I've probably been only as far East as Youngstown, Ohio, though Grandpa might have taken all of us fishing further into Pennsylvania.  I don't remember it.   

"The wearing o' the green" is one way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Will you wear something green in honor of the day?
Probably my green socks.  A friend from the Knitter's Guild Site made them one year, and sent them to me.  They are a pretty shade of dark olive green.  

4) What color makes you look best?
I think that Pinks or Corals look best, but Black's a big contender. 

5) Will you drink something green in honor of the day (like a Shamrock shake or a green beer)?
No, if we were up with the girls we might go have green beer.  But we've never gone up to Santa Cruz in March.

6) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?
I've honestly never felt they would do me any good, so no.  I've always just counted on. "Dumb Luck".   
From Squirrelosophy
an absolutely adorable site.

But my mother (1/4 Irish) had the uncanny knack of finding four leaf clovers like crazy.  She would dry them flat and slip them into picture frames.  It was amazing, and a knack that she didn't share with any of her kids.  She found four leaf clovers when none of us could, even as grown ups!   I only wish she'd had better luck in her personal life.

7) Though she's singing an Irish ballad, this week's featured artist, Joni James, is of Italian heritage. Can you think of a song as identified with Italy as "Danny Boy" is with Ireland?
The one and only one that I remember is, "Nel blu dipinto di blu" (better known as.."Volaré" here) that made it to the top ten in the original Italian.  It's a so called "cross over song" that was popular in the fifties.  I learned to sing this one because I loved it so much.   


The trouble with trying to remember  an Iconic Italian song, is that over half the popular singers here WERE Italians, and they sang Italian songs but sang them in English.  But Peri (Perry) Como sang in Italian and would sometimes sing them on his show.  I hope other people remember more about this.

8) Soda bread and potato bread are popular in Ireland. Are there any rolls or bread in your kitchen right now?  Yes.  But not any soda bread or potato bread.  I've made soda breads and liked them.  I've never made potato bread. Maybe it's time to try....

9) Ireland is known for its whiskey. Do you enjoy Irish coffee (black coffee, whiskey and whipped cream)?  I don't enjoy whiskey in anything.  Well, maybe the whiskey in a Harvey Wallbanger cake.  Those are good cakes.  And, I do like coffee with creme, though, only from time to  time.  It's more like a holiday treat or something,  like Viennese Coffee that has some chocolate liquor in it.

12 comments:

  1. When I was little, Sergio Franchi sang "Volare" on all the variety shows. He had a pretty little sister, Dana Valery, who sang Italian songs on the same shows. I didn't realize how clearly I recalled them until I read your answer to #7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t music a lovely trigger for memory?
      There are some ongoing studies using music to trigger the memories of old folks. Like me!🤭😎😉. because humans probably have deepest memories of things we hear, and this, I believe to be so. After all, the first sense we use is hearing...we listen to our mother’s heart. ❤️

      Delete
  2. I think I thought a little too seriously on #1 when I answered. Oh, well.
    My aunt's first husband could find 4-leaf clovers like that. I wonder how they did it so consistently?
    Perry Como was from the Greater Pittsburgh area and my dad and his friends used to go to Pittsburgh on the weekends to hear him (and many other big names of the day) in the dance clubs. I grew up listening to Perry, Bobby Vinton, and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have nice answers, meaning that they are fun, thoughtful and interesting. I’ll go to your blog to see.. I had a hard time with that question myself, and finally settled on the simplest thing.

      Peri Como will always be my favorite pop singer, and he’s in a near three way tie with Tony Bennet and Louie Prima. Actually I liked all the Italian American singers. 🎶🎵

      Delete
  3. I don't know that song you listed. There are some genres I am deficit in and other language songs are one of them (though I knew a few in Spanish). I used to be able to find four-leaf clovers everywhere, too, but I haven't looked for any in a very long time. I didn't save them. I usually gave them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it when he first sang it here on television in the states. I thought it was so beautiful. Remember, dear friend, I am "older than Methuselah. ;o)
      The ability to find those darn things has to be innate. Sweet of you to give them away. As to the uncanny ability to find excessive amounts of four leaf clovers, I blame our shared inheritance - though in my case, it skipped out on me.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had green beer in ages.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kwizgiver! Happy Thanksgiving Back! :) I am weaving in the ends of the short fingered gloves but won't use the yarn again for gloves. Too many knots! And it didn't spit felt at all! bah!

      Delete
  5. The only four-leaf clovers I've ever found were in a used book I bought from a local bookstore. I was surprised because I always thought four-leaf clovers were a myth. I'm not sure if they were lucky or not, though -- the bookstore burned down a little while later.

    Ah, "Volare" - should have thought of that. Used to have a Plymouth Volare car. Lasted way too long.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a close call for the four leaf clovers, so in that way they were the only one's lucky. But then, they were dead already. Sad about the book store. :o( meep
      "Plymouths, built to last but too long." Good Slogan. ;o) Happy Saturday!

      Delete
  6. Your mother sounds like my mother, she could spot 4 leaf clovers a mile away.
    Sorry I'm late but I got shanghaied to a St. Patrick's Day party yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem Diana. I only hope the party was a lot of fun!
      And it seems that several of our mothers had the ability to spot four leaved clovers. Sort of amazing, and lovely, too. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon and evening. Hope it’s gotten warmer.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..