"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Friday, May 24, 2019

Saturday 9: Memorial Day.. Yay!

God 🙏 America




Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?  In our city.  This is a Navy town after all.  There are two that I've seen and been to.  One is on Pt. Loma, a National Cemetery.  It overlooks the ocean in places, and is very peaceful.  And one is in Balboa Park, dedicated to the veterans of WWI.    I've been to both several times.  

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day  was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? 
No.  But, I almost went to see Richard Nixon, just for fun.. But darn their eyes, they moved that convention across the country!  I was SO ready to see him.  And maybe "give" him a pie. or maybe a tomato. 🍅 heehee  Now I don't give a hoot.  Assault with Fruit, 20 years in the Pen!

3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? 
This is a bad weekend to go ANYWHERE and so no...

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? 
Grandma's Potato salad.  She would be proud.

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? 
No, it's been wonderfully cool and rainy for days!  But today I think we have an off day for rain, but it's only around 70°F today.  We are having an Amazingly wet May this year, thanks to God!

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?  Our niece's husband, who is a naturalized citizen.   And there are several of Mr. Z's old soccer buddies, and their families, who were Canadians, Brits, and Irish, and Lebanese. They are all probably citizens by now. 

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.  "Finding Forester".  Rob Brown and Sean Connery.  It's an Excellent movie.  I'm hoping to find it someday, streaming somewhere that doesn't mean adding another pay channel.  Did you see what the BBC did to all of their stuff that they hadn't already sold?  grrrrr

8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?  My hand print is there.. I never told you?  ;o)  Once, when I was about 11, my aunts and cousins came out from Ohio, and we all went. It was called Grauman's Chinese Theater back then.  Maybe it still is?  Anyway, during picture taking there, I learned that showing ALL my teeth when I smiled was a very bad thing.  It, shall we say, brought out the Prussian heritage in me.  Pretty Scary!

9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?  This is going to be all backwards, as I didn't hate any food as a child.  

Coming up Poor, we ate anything that mother cooked.   Also, mother never grew, nor served, Black Eyed Peas -which I HATE with a passion!)  I never met them until I was fully adult.  It was HATE at first sight.  So, I will have to go with what I hate as an adult!  
For instance, besides those black eyed thingies, I can not stand a slab of salmon, baked, grilled, steamed or fried.. no way, though I still like fried salmon patties made by mixing green onions, egg and cracker crumbs with a can of salmon.  That "sort of " answers the question, yes?  My nightmare meal would be a slab of baked salmon on a bed of boiled black eyed peas.  

Dear Readers:  If you would like to read other posts for this Saturday 9 or participate, HERE is the Link to the Mother Ship.   And a BIG Thanks to Gal for always doing this every week.   I hope everyone has a safe and happy Holiday Week End.   

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Bev. Thanks for asking, but all I do know is that the BBC removed a lot of their content from other services, and made a special channel, like many others are doing. It costs about 7$ a month. The only shows I currently want to watch cost 3$ an episode - which can get expensive. New episodes of shows like 'Father Brown', or Call the Midwife' are apparently going to go into that channel, but are available for the per episode amount mentioned.

      Delete
  2. I saw Finding Forester at the movies, and all I remember of it is Sean Connery's voice and the anguished whispering of the woman sitting next to us, who *insisted* she saw a rat/mouse scurrying across the theater floor. I must give it another try!

    With each passing month, our current President makes Nixon look better and better. However did we get here? Oh, well. It's the holiday weekend. I'll try not to dwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my G! A mouse in the House! Do you remember that play? Rent Finding Forester if you can and enjoy it with the cats. You KNOW you will not be disturbed by any mouse. lol...
      I try not to dwell on our country's problems, too. But, this one is a just such a criminal and a bad person, five to ten times the magnitude of Nixon.
      We got here because the popular vote means nothing. The electoral system has been "gamed" using the huge demographic capabilities of computers. We change this or we are doomed.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Zippi! We weren't poor, but my dad was old school enough that I had to eat everything my mother cooked whether I liked it or not. I admit it has made me not picky and adventuresome when it comes to food. Funny about you and salmon. The private school I went to for a few years served salmon cakes for lunch a few times a year and I didn't like them at all. I still don't, but I do like a nice piece of grilled salmon.
    I'm with you on it being a bad weekend to travel. Here in PA the state troopers have announced that we may find ourselves sitting in traffic while they check to see if cars are inspected. I might be just be okay with having to work all weekend.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for the detailed response..Sorry about The Troopers needing to inspect vehicles on a busy holiday. I bet you'd like to just stay home. :o(
      About food.... I'm going to be writing a book here:
      At my my mother's (parent's) house, right after we came back to California, it had a sort of "Eat what's put before you" feel to it, too, though it was unspoken. It was the way most kids were brought up, yes?
      To be honest, though, in the early 40's we'd just gone through rationing for the war,especially at my grandparents' house, I learned to eat a variety of things. Grandpa was also a hunter so we had game to round out the meat ration which was tiny, and grandma made a lot of the dairy stuff, well, all, because she kept two Guernsey cows plus a yard full of chickens, some geese and some ducks. The farmers did lots better during the war, as long as it wasn't acquisitioned.
      Mother, as a nursing mother, was allowed more rations. Interesting times being on War Status, for real. People really have no idea unless they lived through it.

      Delete
  4. I dislike black eyed peas as well... Never had a salmon patty before.. but love a good slab of salmon! Have a great Saturday and weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone about the Black eyed peas thing.
      And so MANY people LOVE salmon... so you are in good company.
      Fish is something I didn't get a lot of even though my grandpa was also a fisherman, the kids didn't get any of the fish. Too much danger of bones.
      Tuna and salmon out of a can is LOTS different than fresh but that's what I grew up with, having a Midwestern momma. It's the smell of salmon. It literally makes me ill. lol

      Delete
  5. I haven't had salmon patties in so long. My mom used to make them for us all of the time.
    That is such a neat story about the Chinese theater!
    I am glad you are having Spring weather. It is going to be almost 90º here today. Nice weather to go to the lake though. Loved your answers! Have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the Chinese theater question. I love to share stories.
      And, I hope you have a Lovely Holiday as well, but 90°F. Yikes! That's our sort of temperature for May - and last year it was a roaster, nearly 100°!
      Now it's cool and another rain storm is coming.

      Delete
  6. I drove up to Cape Cod on Thursday and going home tomorrow to avoid the traffic Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's wise to stay out of the "Madding Crowds" and the homeward bound traffic. Memorial Day is the kick off for everyone to come to San Diego from the desert, but it's been cool, so maybe they will save the gas and stay home. We avoid all the beaches in San Diego during summer. More room for all the people who want to play in the ocean and sit watching the glorious sunsets.

      Delete
  7. It's still unseasonably cool here in Northern Maine. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's disappointing when you have just gone through a brutal winter, I imagine.
      It's unseasonably cool here, too, but it's a welcome change. We start battling fire season in earnest right through Christmas and then again at the end of the wet season, but happily, not this year. I'm soooo glad of the break. Enjoy the Holiday, Kwizgiver. Eat some watermelon and rejoice! I'm going to.

      Delete
  8. I don't like black eyed peas either (a sin for a southerner, I think) or salmon. Enjoyed your story about the handprint. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Badd! Badd! lol Why people like them I'll never know. I do love grits, crave them sometimes, but never EVER a black eyed Pea - not a single one! Salmon give me the Willies.
      About the Hand print story Glad it gave you a giggle. It is a truly horrible thing, that photo of me. I'm glad it's lost in the bowels of History somewhere... My Auntie, who must be dead and buried by now, had it.

      Delete
  9. Loved loved Finding Forester. Great film. I heard about the BBC thing...we only stream. I'll probably dump CBS All Access and pick up the BBC thing, just because there's soooo much content there I want to watch. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there.. 👋. Hope you’ve had a lovely weekend so far. Two more days to go.. may the be excellent!
      About the tele.. I might pick up the BBC stream even though I can get KPBS and those aforementioned shows from their broadcast. It depends on if there are other things I want to watch on it. We also only stream but can get KPBS right out of the air.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..