"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Lights

 Saturday 9: Lights (2011)

 Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions! 

If you would like to see all the responses Just go HERE

 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song was inspired by a young Ellie Goulding's fear of the dark. What scared you when you were a kid?    My paternal unit.  His temper was explosive and he was a brutal guy. 
 
2) She thinks back to the room where her brother and sister slept and she felt safe. Did you share a room when you were growing up?  Yes.  All four of us were in one room. 

3) Ellie Goulding grew up in public housing and worked her way through the University of Kent in Canterbury. Back in those days, her favorite job was theater usher because it offered her the perk of seeing plays for free. What's the most recent "freebie" you scored? (This includes a buy one/get one deal, extra points on your credit card, etc.)  Nothing free, but I have been buying ebooks on the cheap through BookBub.  And, we bought a TOL a new washer when the old one died last month. The new one has a tiny dent, so a local store offered it to us at extra ordinary price. 
 
4) Even though today she is an international music star, Ellie still lives modestly. She describes herself as "still in university mode," and limits herself to $10/day for lunch. Where do you economize?  Books.  And we just don't buy anything we don't really need.  I mean besides the books I buy. I almost fell for some more sock yarn, too, but my shameful Stash of sock yarn stopped me.  It's still in my basket though.  Shhhh!  😇

5) Ellie has proclaimed herself "a cat lady" and often posts pictures of her cats to her Instagram account. What's the most recent photo you took?  I took a picture of me gleefully celebrating getting the House back.  Taking pictures of myself is now completely pointless.  Scary even. 

6) Ellie appeared on Sesame Street. She, Elmo and Abby thanked clouds for raindrops, lakes, and the water we drink. Would you be thankful for a little rain this weekend?  I'd like to hear that song.  And.....Yes!  Bring the Rain!  California needs it. 

 7) In 2011, the year "Lights" was a hit, Prince William married Kate Middleton. Ellie not only attended the wedding, she sang Elton John's "Your Song" for the couple's first dance. Tell us a song that reminds you of a romance in your life.  I've been trying to use an insertion code for the last half hour (at least) that's worked perfectly for WEEKS before now.  So, the Video will tag along in a the post below.  It's not perfection but at least a blogger can try. And I'm sorry you can't see it from this link... JUST CLICK ON "OLDER POSTS" and it pops up...

8) Also in 2011, AT&T abandoned their attempt to buy T-Mobile. Which company is your cell phone carrier? Are you happy with them?  Yes.

 9) Random question: What recent experience made you feel old?  Trying to use Blogger to do anything anymore.  I'll either switch platforms or quit blogging.  They have really buggered up their product.  I have no IDEA what could be wrong with using embedding code in the options when it was perfectly alright two days ago.  

27 comments:

  1. I use Blogger too, but guess I haven't had to use embedding codes. I haven't had any problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening code string that I was using suddenly stopped working.
    It was probably an upgrade they made that broke it, but Google owns YouTube, or at least did, and when blogger was cut adrift from Google last year, or maybe longer ago,that changed everything. When Blogspot remodeled their blogger software, they didn't keep any Google facilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this helps: When I embed, I switch from Compose to HTML. (It's that pencil in the upper left.) Then I scroll down and paste into the HTML. I prefer writing in compose, so I have to switch back. It's kind of a pain at first, but I got used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gal. I'll keep trying to work it out. I have been doing that myself and just two days ago on the 20th it worked. When I came back in to do this post, it started spitting up. One more thing to try before I rip it up and toss it is to paste and move it. I learned, in the early days, a little bit about using raw code and even wrote a little program or two, but that was ages ago. Tenacity is my middle name. Or is is "BullDog"? Can't remember... Oh look a Cookie!

      Delete
  4. Yes California needs rain for sure. I am knitting a multi color scarf right now. That is the only thing I know how to knit. I didn't even know there was sock yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's all do a rain dance! But we have to be careful to keep it small. A deluge is not what the back country needs right now.

      Ah yes, the sock yarn; it's really lovely stuff. It's a fingering weight yarn, which is what you use for intricate shawls and fancy things like gloves. But the colors are WILD!
      I started knitting socks in 2004 and that lead to the blog which was supposed to all be about knitting. Buhahahaha.

      Delete
  5. So much to comment on today.
    I am so sorry your biggest fear was your parent. No child should ever have to deal with that.
    Nothing seems to deter me from buying books. It's gotten especially bad since I discovered buying them at our local Goodwill. It always has an incredible selection. I guess on the bright side, I do pass them on or donate them back once I've read them. I only keep the books from certain authors that are a series and my bibles and reference books.
    I didn't know all that about Blogger. I had trouble when they first changed over, but it seems to be working okay now.
    Have a wonderful day, Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. No child should...
      A lot of kids do I found out over time. I was well on my way to becoming a Courtroom child advocate when the twins went feral, so that went out of the window.. *Poof* But having read some of the stuff that children went through made me see brutal abuse was a lot more widespread than I thought.
      On a happier note, I have too many books and can only, really buy a physical book once in awhile. But the Goodwill has an amazing array of books. Once I have a book, it's mine forever. So online is the only wise thing now a days.
      I'm going to go have a LONG conversation with Blogger about this book thing. Hope that you also have a great rest of the week... much love...

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you're having video issues again. I haven't tried to post a video in a while but will go see if it still works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CountryDew. I still have the little code but the video didn't work with it or without it. I do see that others are having no trouble at all so maybe it's the browser I'm using. IDK.. sigh... thanks for all your help. It HAS to be something I'm doing wrong...

      Delete
  7. Oh, and that's one of my favorite songs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful song. Elvis sort of changed the world...I can remember that my mother bought me a little transistor radio so I could listen to the "forbidden" rock and roll when I wasn't at home. She were a good lass, me mum...

      Delete
  8. Hmm I was able to embed the code in my blog doing the way I suggested you do it. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, it has to be me... stay tuned... cover your ears though! lol

      Delete
    2. Sending a lot of love to you, as well. I heard you got some snow?

      Delete
  9. Blogger sure has mucked things up. Drives me nuts when platforms "improve" a product that needs no improvement, just for the sake of change. Ugg. Have a fab weekend, praying for rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think they had no choice in this one. They had to buy back their little product and lost some of the ease of connectivity when Google decided it didn't need them anymore. I don't think the original sale was "friendly" but don't quite remember anymore. I love it, blogger, and hope to solve this problem this week.
      I'm praying for the soft and gentle rains that heal and soak in, and ones that put fires out! We still have a huge fire burning in California. Hope you have a great weekend,too, and I am sending good vibes your way!

      Delete
  10. I have used both Wordpress & Blogger. I prefer Wordpress. But I use Blogger to write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bud. Hope the weekend is chugging along happily for you.
      I have a Wordpress blog too, mostly so that I can use it to comment on Wordpress blogs. lol

      Delete
  11. I do not like the new blogger, but I think I have figured it out for the most part. I hope you get some rain soon! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting used to it - the new blogger. Not posting as much hasn't helped let me tell ya. I really have only that one issue with it but everyone else can use the feature that's giving me fits so it "operator error", no doubt! =)
      Hope you have a great week and a fun one.

      Delete
  12. I have been getting my eBooks and audiobooks from the library, you can download any time day or night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana. Nice to hear from you ...
      I was getting ebooks constantly from the libraries but then I fell and yadda yadda.. etc, etc, and lost a lot of memory. I'm just getting back into the swing of things a year and a few months later. I've simply forgotten how to do it! Library cards actually expired in the meantime!
      The picture you put up on your post is wonderful! It would be so nice to live near a wild and stormy sea.. suit my mood! lol

      Delete
  13. I like BookBub and The Fussy Librarian for cheap or free books. I also use the library. But, I buy more than I borrow.

    Books and yarn. Is there such a thing as too many?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books and Yarn. Never too many, though one poor gentleman here diedm sadly, in an earthquake when his book piles fell on him. I'm careful not to pile then too high for that reason. But as you say, Books and yarn- never too many. That, along with Love and Service, and Dogs, is a complete life. well, flowers, and growing them.. And pie, cake and chocolate! i must stop this..... lol
      Lot's of Love to you.

      Delete
  14. I haven’t had any issues posting video from YouTube. I hope you figure out what the problem is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Songbird... Well, apparently some people, perhaps ones who own a domaine and run a blog from there, maybe, have no problem. Others of us have had to insert a tiny fragment of code in front of the embedding code from YouTube.

      I had just used it 2 days before to post a music video, and all that was wrong this time was a space was missing between the YouTube code and the insert. One little space! It took me awhile to find it.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..