"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Friday, November 26, 2021

Black Velvet

 Black Velvet

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 

Saturday 9: Black Velvet (1989)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
Want to see other's posts?  or maybe you'd like to join in?  Go here


1) This song was chosen because yesterday was Black Friday, the traditional day of sales. Have you begun your Christmas shopping? 
Nope. The last thing we bought on black Friday was a refrigerator that hubby left at 5 am to snag.  This was about ten years ago, if memory serves.

2)  Was there an adult beverage served with your Thanksgiving feast?
  Hubby had Wine, and I had a glass of  homemade Limeade. 
 
3) Did any pets enjoy scraps from your Thanksgiving table? 
Wolfie got a little bit of yam and some chicken.

4) Are there any Thanksgiving leftovers in your refrigerator right now?  Yes, home made cranberry, and some pumpkin pie. 

5) Football is a popular Thanksgiving weekend pastime. Will you be watching any games over the next few days? If yes, which team(s) are you rooting for? Nope. We don't watch them now but we do still watch the Rose Bowl game.  If UCLA is playing, I'll be rooting for them. That's "my" team. ;o) 

6) This week's song is by Canadian Alannah Myles. She was born Alannah Byles (with a B), but changed her name to differentiate herself from her father. He was influential in Canadian broadcasting and she didn't want to be accused of riding his coattails. Have you ever received a professional leg up from a relative?
Sadly, I have no wealthy or famous relatives who could be bothered, though two of them -Mother's Aunties- did promise her they would pay for my college if I worked hard, which I did. They didn't. They completely wrote Mother, and her children, off.  

7) In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Instead of pumpkin pie, Canadians traditionally enjoy butter tarts for dessert. What dessert was on your Thanksgiving menu? Pumpkin pie. Yum.  Butter Tarts sound very nice,too.

8) "Black Velvet" is a tribute to Elvis. Songwriter Christopher Ward said he was inspired by a trip to Memphis, long after Elvis' death, where he spoke to The King's fans and was touched by how much they still loved their favorite singer. Who is your favorite singer?
Male? It will always and ever be, Peri Como.  I like Italian baritones.  Favorite female pop singer is most probably Mariah Carey. But there are scads of female singers I love to listen to.
 

9) Share a memory from Thanksgiving 2020.
We were under complete lock down at that time so DH says that it was "unmemorable" Lol!
 
Thank you Sam! 



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Last Thanksgiving was a bust, wasn't it? I'm so happy this year was happier and yummier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Gal, I waited too long to comment on your blog and now it won't let me.
      I'm so glad you had a great time out with some friends rather than another bleak little frozen dinner.

      Delete
  2. I like Mariah too. SO many good singers. I am going to watch Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. My parents loved him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Tony Bennett is another favorite of mine. I like Baritone's I guess. There was a kid in the movie, "Clueless" who had an amazing voice but was, after that film, not a good actor. I wish he'd gone on singing.

      Delete
  3. I agree, butter tarts sound lovely! Anything with butter, really, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO hear you on this. Butter is one of the food groups, yes? *wink*

      Delete
  4. Oh, I wish last Thanksgiving wasn't memorable--but it led to my gallbladder removal in mid-December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh NO! Ouch! But I understand.
      Mine was the victim of age, so butter had nothing to do with it. I like to tell myself this and it may actually be true!

      Delete
  5. I agree with unmemorable thanksgiving of 2020. I couldn't think of anything. We were lucky though and my mom was able to come. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about 2021. The year that time forgot.. Sheesh. I hope the same doesn't happen again. Hopefully the new variant will prove a lamb in wolf's clothing....

      Delete
  6. Hopefully this year's Thanksgiving was better than 2020's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! But still we didn't get together with family because some of them are anti-vaxxers. Not my kids, happily. One less worry.

      Delete
  7. #8 When my mother passed away I took all her Christmas records including Peri Como, Bing Crosby, and other Christmas records and digitized them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a treasure trove! I'm so glad you could save the songs. I digitized many of my LPs but mother had the old old records. What a treasure they were.
      Peri Como still amazes me whenever there's a chance recording coming from an old movie or something.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..