"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Standing with the Pacific Island Peoples... And, Sunday Stealing about BOOKS!

Here is the link to the Island Warriors Petition which they would like Every Human on Earth to read and, hopefully, sign.

Pacific Island peoples are now traveling to Australia and other places to bring awareness to the plight of ALL Island dwellers.  Actually, we are all Island Dwellers when it comes down to it.  Some of us
just live on great big Islands but these islands have low shorelines.

Sunday Stealing:
If you would like to join in this very fun MeMe, you can find an active button for Sunday Stealing in the sidebar under Six Weekly MeMe's.  Try it.  You know you want to!  Thank you to all the peeps who have kept this rolling along.  Great Meme!

October 25, 2014

Disclaimer.. I do not like my new med.  It has made me certifiable.

Nerd Alert!

Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of memes from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent memes. You may have heard of the expression, “honor amongst thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from. We also provide a link to the victim's meme in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from this new meme or recently asked questions from a previously featured meme.  
Let's go!!!

From F Yeah, Surveys

  Nerd Alert Meme 

1. Favorite childhood book? 
The first "books" I actually recall reading were comic books in Ohio with my young Aunties (11 years old to my 4).  They and their friends collected comic books and traded them.  My grandmother didn't want me to read some of them, like the one about Teens. Happily, the aunts and their friends allowed me to read them all anyway, as long as I didn't ask them any questions, like, "What does Archie mean?"   Of course, I still like comics to this day!

Back home after my second brother's birth, I read Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. That same summer I read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Robert Louis Stevenson.  It was called, "Keeping out of mother's hair".

So those are still my favorite books.  I've wanted to live on an Island ever since or maybe to be a Mermaid!  I was totally CRAZED, and utterly MAD about the Ocean, and I wasn't yet 6 years old.  So, a lifelong passion to be "by the seaside by the beautiful sea" was born in my heart.  There is just nothing like the ocean for beauty with a capital B!

2. What are you reading right now?  
I'm reading three e books, The Way Forward by Ruth Hartzler, The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill, and The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A. A. Logan.  I'm also reading a hands on physical book, Nobodies by John Bowe.  Nobodies makes you think about every single thing you buy, as in how it was produced and by whom.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Two by Gail Tsukiyama.

4. Bad book habit?


I soooo want all these books! 
Just how can a book habit be bad?  Well, I can see that if you were to bankrupt your family and lose the house by buying too many books, it would be a bad habit.  But then, that would be bad for the books. Who, of those who love books, would chance that?

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nothing.  I have to read a few books I actually own first.  Actually I'm waiting impatiently for the two that are on order to show up.   Where can they be???



6. Do you have an e-reader? 
I was recently given a mini-tab as a sidebar item.  I thought, "What am I going to do with this thing?"  But, alas, it's now put roots into the fingers of both hands.  My brain has been taken over by an external device!  However, I am obviously not alone!


7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? 
Obviously I read several books at a time, and prefer it.  Reading very heavy non-fiction has its' costs so it's best to read "salads" and perhaps "fruits" while ingesting heavy and meaty things.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?



Not a whit!  I have, however, gotten hints from what others have reported reading.  That's been truly cool!

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far)? 
That was an ebook that I didn't finish.  Gah! I cannot tell you how many of those I've quit after a few, horrible pages thinking the writing would get better.  Who are these people?  I'm sorry if that sounds snobbish but I'm new at this.  And, I don't have time to waste, really.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Three Wild Swans

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? 
Having a huge tolerance for many subjects, I never read outside my comfort zone; it is, after all, my time, and I try to use it wisely.

12. What is your reading comfort zone? 
Children, avert your eyes.  I won't read anything that sells itself with s_x.  And, I  no longer will read brutal murder mysteries no matter how famous the writer nor how well he/she writes.

13. Can you read on the bus? 
No.  I want to be alert to surroundings.  I would, however, read on a train to another city, perhaps.  I'm likely to spend the time looking out the windows, or in knitting, on either conveyance.

14. Favorite place to read? 
I have three favorite places.  The "Big Comfy Chair", the once New, Tall Bed Top, and in the shade outside in my folding rocker.

15. What is your policy on book lending?  
I'm a Family and Friends lender.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books? 
I would rather be poked with a sharp stick than to dog-ear a book.  Even if I hated the book I would not mistreat it.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Marginalia?  No way.  I LIKE books.  It's a felony anyway; the Amazing Book Police will get you!  I'm going to send them!

What the Frack?


18. Not even with text books? 
No.  And I hate to have to have a text book that has been dog-eared, highlighted, or written in. Perhaps I don't share the opinions but there they all are, underlined and highlighted and begging for attention.  Perhaps I don't even think like the person(s) that destroyed the book.  They took away the writer's intentions and/or impartiality.  I certainly don't want to be burdened with the possibly felonious, invisible influences of the chicken that scratched up a helpless book.

19. A book you didn’t expect to like but did? 
I didn't expect to like Hunt for Red October but I did.  Otherwise, I don't read anything I'm not sure of anymore.  I don't have to.  Life is too short to read something written by someone I don't highly respect.  I have to ask myself, "What's the point"?

20. What makes you love a book? 
Language, and the author's ability to use such in both interesting and perhaps unusual ways.  For instance, I like the writings of people who are high functioning autistics.  I love descriptive prose, and characters that evoke sympathy or sometimes even intense emotions.  I'm not insane enough - any more - to go looking for trouble in the world of fiction.  The non fiction I read is usually about something terribly odious, like the modern slave trade or Wall Street miscreants, so I give myself a breather with fiction.  

Oh, I probably will never read anything by Howard Hunt, or L. Ron Hubbard.  Big Businessmen, those two.

Goodness, today is our 51st Anniversary.  I hope Mr.Z bought me a book.
The Kama Sutra?  Just kidding!   I better get out of this little room!  I've gone mad, I tell you, thinking of books I'll never get to read!  But, not that one!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! love your answer to #7 - that's how I am, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy W! And yes, it's better to keep a balance in non fiction and fiction. I'm reading the Friday Knitting Club now. The book I was reading is well written and also eye opening, and I'd read anything else he's written but I needed some dessert!

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I hope you get a book or two! ;-) I love your answers--I didn't even think about how I read other blogs for book suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kwizgiver! As to books, I have to buy them myself because, well, there is the public library, you know, says DH. Oh yes, other blogs are great "title hunting grounds"! Happy Hunting!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi BC. Books can stay with you forever sometimes. I think of them as a mind altering non drug. hehe

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary...I am a 'dog-ear-er' with my own books. Can't do that so much anymore since most of my reading is now on my Nook Color. I love getting recommendations for books to read. I will be adding Wild Swans to my pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving e books and so is DH. hehehe. Don't you like how you can bookmark with that little gadget? Wild Swans is an amazing look into the conditions and the greedy mechanics used by other countries to try to snatch off bits of China, as well as a look at the Madman Mao, and why he had his wife executed along with the other members of the Gang of Four.

      Delete
  5. There are a lot of women that love that genre you don't car for. I'm not into that genre either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historical Fiction is really a good genre, and I thought that was what was on offer. The kindle as opened my eyes, so it did! I saw all those Gone With the Wind dresses on the cover you see..... ahem

      Delete
  6. I like your comparison to salads and fruits. I rarely read non-fiction like that, they need to be taken in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia Lal. Thanks for visiting the blog. Oh,yes, these sorts (like the book,Nobodies) of non-fiction need to be taken in small doses. I've run through most of the fiction writers of mysteries but now will the the ABC one. I started to read the A book several years ago, and wasn't sure.

      Delete
  7. I read 20,000 Leagues and Robinson Crusoe as a child and to this day fantasize about deserted islands! I am finally living near the shore and love it so much. I used to dog ear cheap paperbacks (that I owned) but I don't anymore and NEVER write in a book. I should be writing in the margins of my knitting books but thank God(ess) for sticky notes. I can't bring myself to tear pages out of magazines either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Ellen. :o) The early books about the mysterious sea and islands changed my life, too. I so understand that feeling. It's wonderful to live near the shore and be able to go there whenever I need the benefit of seeing it. I'd love to go sailing again someday. The sound of the wind through the sails and the clanking of the hardware on the mast... wonderful!

      Right now, I'm reading Omoo by Melville on the mini-tab. Lovely stuff! It fits right in with Mysterious Island, Robinson Crusoe, and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

      And, yes, aren't sticky notes wonderful little inventions? And I HATE to rip apart mags so I've fallen on photos as a solution, God(ess) bless the camera phones!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..