"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, April 21, 2023

Saturday 9:

 

“I Won’t Be The One to Let Go”


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


Pretty song, Sam.  I love both of these singers.

Anyone wanting to join in can go HERE to the Saturday9 Linkie... 


Friends, Romans, and Fellow Countrywomen,

I know lately that I'm a  Terrible procrastinator when it comes to visiting other blogs.  I have NO excuse at the moment (one that could possibly get past the lie detector ) but the truth is that I'm facing what is a very scary operation that would be routine except that my eye has already been operated on for something else that wasn't entirely successful, and all I can say is that I will be very glad when it's all over.  Both eyes.... So I've been avoiding my whole State of Mind issues, and just trying for Out of Body experiences.  That has not gone well.  Reading Angst producing books is not the answer.  I need some kid lit...

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING YOU CAME TO SEE!

1) Barbra Streisand begins by singing about dreams and wishes. What are you wishing for this morning?

You may think this is corny but I wish for World Peace.  Otherwise we are never going to make the deadline to reverse the collapse of our little shard in this "Physical Light and Pony Show" in which we find ourselves trapped. 

2) Barry Manilow sings that "anytime you need me, you'll know where I am." If a friend needs you, what's the best way to reach you (text, phone call, email, knock on the front door ...)?

Pretty much they could do any of the above.... 

 3) Both of this week's artists are from Brooklyn. In addition to Barry and Barbra, Brooklyn is home to Coney Island, where America's first roller coaster debuted in 1884. Do you enjoy amusement park rides? If yes, do you have a favorite?

My favorite rides were the bumper cars.  I've never even BEEN on a roller coaster, except the one that Life supplies to anyone who thinks they are in control of ANYTHING on Earth. lol

4) Barbra and her husband, actor James Brolin, have lived in the same Malibu home for more than 25 years. How long have you been in your current residence? Do you think you'll be moving anytime soon?

For me, the time for moving away is over.  I've never really liked it here in this (as my sister-in-law once called it) Arm Pit of the Earth, but there you are.... I've lived here for nearly 60 years. 

5) Barry Manilow once lived in luxurious Bel Air. His neighbors were former President and Mrs. Reagan. At first he thought it would be great to have the Reagans nearby but quickly changed his mind because he disliked the Secret Service helicopters flying overhead. Tell us about one of your neighbors. (No pressure; we don't expect to hear about historic figures.)

Most of the neighbors I knew that were here, or moved in soon after we did, have either died or moved away.  There is still one here that I love.  But mostly. there isn't anyone left here except their kids who moved back in and took over the family homes.  

Frankly, I wish we could have stayed in our old neighborhood where it was a big mix of ethnic groups and was like a Fiesta or even a Mardi Gras when the kids had birthdays.  It was fun living so close to the Pacific Ocean that one could ride a bike to it, also.  

6) As a teenager, Barbra worked as a switchboard operator. Her job consisted of connecting calls by inserting phone plugs into the appropriate jacks. As telephoning became automated, these jobs were phased out and by 1983, the switchboard operator was obsolete. Can you think of another occupation that used to be common but doesn't exist anymore?  

That's the job I had when I was young.  I could speak Spanish, barely, so that made it fun, too.  Talking, late at night, some poor drunk Mexican man into putting more coins into a payphone became my specialty. lol  

7) Loyal Fanilows can subscribe to ManilowTV. For $9.95/month, fans can watch exclusive content, like interviews and concert performances. Do you more often watch live broadcast TV or streamed content?  

We still watch PBS on line but that's the only one.  The rest is streamed.  I've never been able to stand commercial TV.  There is one exception, "Major Dad".  We all thought that show was a total Scream fest. PBS suited our family very well.  The twins learned to read by watching Sesame Street.  I kid you not. Their sisters taught them the alphabet. 

8) In 2002, the year this recording was released, the Sears Wish Book offered seven different collectible Barbies. According to Mattel, the doll's manufacturer, there are more than 100,000 Barbie collectors all over the world. Do you collect anything?  

Like dust?  Yes, I collect dust.  Seriously, I collect rocks.  And yarn. 

9) Random question: Are you exclusively an online/ATM bank customer, or do you often go into the branch and interact with a teller?  

Ewwww.  ME?  Go into a bank and touch ..... money?  ugh. 

 I suppose there may come a day when I am once again forced to go into a bank... Oh... I just have to go lie down ... the very thought of it ... 



Thanks Sam!  This is always fun.  I look forward to it every week.  

And now, for a little whimpering and whining.....

Friends, Romans, and fellow Sat9 bloggers. 

I know lately that I'm a terrible procrastinator when it comes to visiting other blogs.  I have NO excuse at the moment that could possibly get pass the lie detector but the truth is that I'm facing what is a very scary operation that would be routine except that my eye has already been operated on for something else that wasn't entirely successful, and all I can say is that I will be very glad when it's all over.  Both eyes.... So I've been avoiding my whole "State of Mind" issues, and just trying for "Out of Body" experiences.  


 


16 comments:

  1. Sending positive thoughts for your upcoming surgery. I can only imagine how nervous you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev. 🙏 It is, hopefully my last surgery needed til I slip into senility.

      Delete
  2. I'm sending you nothing but good vibes as your surgery date approaches. I bet you can't wait till you're looking back on this period. In the meantime, as "kid lit" goes, I suggest The Secret of the Old Clock, Nancy Drew #1. I just finished it and it was a fun little trip down memory lane. I didn't remember the mystery at all, but there were things about Nancy (like her blue roadster and sweater sets) that came back to me. Take care of yourself, Ms. Zip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gal. I have two surgeries coming up and have asked a lot of questions of people who have had it, and they say not to worry.
      I think I want to read Nancy Drew as a solace. It would be fun.

      Delete
  3. Praying your surgery goes well and is successful! (I would be a nervous wreck just thinking about someone poking around in my eye.) My neighborhood used to be like what you described when I was growing up, but as my generation grew up and (mostly) moved away and the older generations have passed...it has changed. Still nice enough, but none of those close relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy. Yes, it's the eyes thing with me, too. I just don't want anyone messing with my eyes!
      Neighborhoods were a lot of fun for kids until they weren't anymore. It was a hardship for mine to have to move here and give up their friends in the old one. And to not be part of the IN crowd of super snobs that used to be here. I think there are only three families left here that were part of that, which is better for all concerned.

      Delete
  4. I hope everything goes ok with your eye surgery and you have a quick recovery. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. I appreciate the good wishes. Hope your weekend was a nice one. The newer school should be all moved into by now, and I hope you are very happy there.

      Delete
  5. Sending good thoughts for your surgery and I am also terrible procrastinator when it comes to visiting other blogs, I try to do as many as I can but sometimes life gets in the way.
    #3 I used to ride the bumper cars with the smell of ozone.
    #8 I collect bills. Which reminds me…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. And ..... Oh no... you collect bills?
      And by bumper cars with ozone, you are talking of a commute? eeee..

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your surgery! All will be well! Thinking of you. I remember watching Major Dad, that was on in the early 1980s, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's when it was... It is still on YouTube channel and when I feel like it, I'll watch an episode of two. And thank you for the wishes for good luck. Everyone around that I've talked to says I need not worry.. The last one was a small disaster, so it's hard not to, but this is a lot different than that one.

      Delete
  7. Sending many good vibes and much love for your upcoming surgery! And I said collecting yarn is my hobby, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my knitting bud. I really need to get my old brave self back down out of that worry tree....
      Lol. And.... Yarn collecting and wool gathering are my favorite hobbies..

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..