"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Really, does Gwyneth annoy you? Saturday9

The second this was published someone looked at it.   Up yours, FBI!  and no, I don't track my own page reads.  Not that....  Anyway

Come join in the fun! Meme button is in the sidebar with the other meme ones. And as the Gal Herself says, "We hate rules". So it's very fun.



Saturday 9: Viva la Vida (2008)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) The song refers to the singing of choirs. Have you ever been in a choir or a vocal group? 
Yes.  I sang in choirs and did solos from the third grade in school, through High School.   I never got the chance to go to church after I was nine, so no choir singing in church.

2) Chris Martin sings of when he "ruled the world." If you were in charge and had infinite power, what would you change right away?
I would take cruelty, hatred and bigotry right out of the human Psyche.  And everyone would eat.  I forget who said that last time, but, Sista, that was so right on!

3) Chris used to be married to actress Gwyneth Paltrow. USA Today, The Washington Post and The Daily Telegraph have all run articles about how Gwyneth seems to annoy so very many people. What celebrity gets on your nerves?
It has to make a person cranky to just want to be an actor of quality, and she is, and then having to deal with unwanted media attention.  That's a real catch 22.  Since I don't follow celebrities much, I only know that the Kardashians are like fingernails on a blackboard to most people,as well as to me.  I can't understand even WHY they are in the public eye.

4) Coldplay's first big hit was, "Yellow." What color are you wearing right now?
A predominantly maroon Indian floral print.

5) Sam remembers when she used to hear this song everywhere and can't believe that was 7 years ago! When is the last time you had a similar "my, how time flies!" moment?
Just this afternoon.  It's Friday as I'm typing, and it will be Saturday in an hour and a half!

6) In 2008, when "Viva la Vida" was popular, John Grisham's latest legal thriller, The Appeal, was jumping off bookshelves. What have you read this summer?
I didn't keep track.  Let's see, summer starts in June.  I've read, Two Paradise of Glass sequels, two Jane Smiley's, a bunch of Amish novelettes, The Intern  and some others from Gutenberg.  Currently I'm reading, Chuckwalla Land, the riddle of California's Deserts.  Great Read!  There must be some others lurking in the back of beyond (my brain) but it's been busy around here.

7) Thinking of books: Let's say a biographer has taken the task of writing your biography. What would you title your life story? 
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart!

8) 2008 is also the year Paul Newman died of cancer. Name a Newman movie. 
"Hud"  I never saw it but it's always in the crosswords, as is the name of his co-star in the film, Patricia Neal.

9) Random question: Do you like garlic?
I love garlic.  Do they put it in cookies, the Italians?  Garlic Chocolate Chip cookies.   I'd eat those cookies.



16 comments:

  1. Hud was just on the other day, as TCM was featuring Patricia Neal. It's an interesting movie movie about the quintessential anti-hero. Hud is a repulsive character and yet, and yet ... when asked why he's so bad, he says, "My mama used t love me, and she died." And I forgive him everything (and "everything" was really, really bad).

    Your summer reads are even geekier than mine! I appreciate that. After I looked at the books I read this summer I thought, "not a beach read among them."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Gal! The movie "Hud" sounds interesting enough to watch now. Anti-heroes who's mamas died and so they became rebels are sort of like James Dean-ish. I loved James Dean, that bad boy. Maybe I'm not too old to watch Hud, and have a visceral reaction.

      It's 1am here, and about 80 degrees, so beach reads are not appealing. It's hot there, too!
      I've never read a Judy Bloom but one's coming from the library soon. She sounded like fun. Mostly I read non fiction but have favorite writers in fiction. Heavy fiction is too much like real life. I really want sort of fluffy stuff from time to time, too. I gave up FAST on some new to me popular writers. Gah!

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree a very eclectic list of books. I'm intrigued by your current one. We have a garlic festival here in CA and they actually do put garlic in everything...ice cream, cookies, etc. Love your rule the world changes! It shames us all that the people who are actually in charge don't feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! We got as far as the gate on that garlic festival one summer, and they wouldn't let us in with our teensy tiny doggie. So we said Bye Bye.. I'm in San Diego but our kids are up near Aptos.

      The book I'm reading now is truly fabulous from a Geological point of view. Gondwanaland lives! lol It's very well written and the author is so droll.

      Yes, we seem to have quite a few lousy leaders, in government, Industry, the Military, and no relief in sight. It's just getting worse and worse, with power handed off to some very unsavory and self important, and need I say wicked, people. I guess it started right after the Revolutionary war. hehehe Jokingly said but probably close!

      Delete
  3. You really wouldn't destroy a good chocolate chip cookie with garlic would you? Oh, the horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, probably not on my own, Country Dew, but garlic does taste very different when it's baked. It's sweet and mellow tasting.

      Delete
    2. Do you know t hat they make garlic ice cream? I've had it. It's not bad.

      Delete
    3. I didn't but now, Bev, I do! Oh thank you. I think I'll have to track that down! :o)

      Delete
  4. Eww... "Garlic Chocolate Chip Cookies"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lol, the very thought! But, you know the culinary world likes to shake things up from time to time. The idea started there.

      Delete
  5. I like garlic but it doesn't like me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. So many people have that problem, Kwizgiver. There is something milder called Giant Garlic that people sometimes roast in the oven. It's lots milder. Maybe that would be better? I'm so nuts about garlic that I would open the jar and just sniff the aroma to make me feel better. Mostly we use fresh but I do make salad dressing and put powdered California garlic in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garlic chocolate chip cookies??? Now you have me thinking............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting they are pretty good, Harriet - seeing as how such strange flavors like Jalapeno chilies and avocadoes have made it into desserts lately, and they've been liked.

      Delete
  8. I love garlic but not in cookies, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol. I've been rethinking that one.
    Since I can't eat them without changing them a lot, I won't end up baking them, either.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..