"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, September 5, 2015

It's work to get back where you were.... Saturday9

Working My Way Back to You


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Working My Way Back to You (1966)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) We're celebrating the last holiday of summer with The Four Seasons. Which season is your favorite?  
I like what the Aussies call The Wet.  That's what we get in SoCal - The Wet and The Dry, and currently. we are getting way too much of The Dry.

2) Before they settled on The Four Seasons, they called themselves The Four Lovers, The Romans and The Village Voices. If you were/are in a band, please share the name. Or just make up a cool name for your pretend band.  
Not having ever been in a band, it's hard to even think of a band name.  How about "Grannie and the Screechers"?  We'd definitely have an accordion player.


Jolly Good!

3) Lead singer Frankie Valli has occasionally fudged the year of his birth. Have you ever lied about your age?
I never had any success lying about my age.  Since I wasn't allowed to wear anything but lipstick until I was away from the paternal unit, I looked like a nerd for way too long. 

Usually, it was a textbook full of Dinosaurs.

4) Frankie Valli, Frank Sinatra, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen ... New Jersey has given us many music superstars. What is your state known for?  

THE GOLD RUSH.. WE'RE FAMOUS FOR THAT.


5) In 1965, Frankie was arrested in Columbus, Ohio. But it wasn't his fault! The bandmate he trusted to pay the group's hotel bill neglected to do so. Tell us about a time when your trusting nature got you in trouble. 
I trusted that I could tell the truth and never be punished.  It worked at Grandpa's house, but then, unhappily, we didn't live there anymore.

6) Clint Eastwood directed the movie version of the Four Seasons biography, Jersey Boys. What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie? 
I knew there was at least one Clint Eastwood I liked.  It's, "Pale Rider".

Since Labor Day is the holiday established to celebrate the American worker … 

7) According to the U.S. Census, more and more Americans are working from home. Are you one of them?  No, though I used to.  I don't sell at shows or on the web anymore.  I can no longer stand the work on my hands, or the pressure to produce on such a scale.

8) Of those of us who work outside the home, 75% travel to work alone. 15% take public transportation and the remaining 10% carpool. How do you get to your job?
I'm completely retired.  So, no traveling.  We save all our Gas coupons for taking the RV north.

9) Do you have any big plans for this holiday weekend?
I'm a major supporter of Labor Day but wonder what it actually celebrates nowadays?  I have no plans for it.  I respect that the day even exists, though it's meaning, like that of its aims, has faded over the last half century.  
Picture Source and a bit of History about Labor Day

Labor Day still has significance to many of us who watched through the decades as things changed, and then were degraded in the 1990's.

In the late 1940's, a lot of people got bloodied when Industry and Governmental resistance to Labor having organizing rights brought out things called "goon squads" and the National guard.  It was worth the fight.  It enabled wage earning workers to buy houses, let one parent stay home and raise their own children, and to send those kids to college.  For all this, I respect Labor Day.

14 comments:

  1. "Grannie and the Screechers"? Woman, you've got me in stitches here :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)))). It would have been fun when I could really sing like a house afire. Lol!

      Delete
  2. Your answer to #5 about Grandpa's house made me sad. And that's one very charismatic accordion player you have on deck and ready to join the band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people suffered as little children, if I had another life, it would be to work with children and animals, maybe even together. And isn't that accordion player a sweet looking person? He looks like he enjoys playing. Happy Labor Day, Gal!

      Delete
  3. i guess wet and dry is what we have here, too, and also like you, we need more wet! well, actually, we've been getting a lot of storms lately but not the cool part that usually accompanies the wet season--it's still so hot! ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lia, I just tried to comment on your blog but need to be on the desk top. Your weather and mine sounds the same, hot and muggy and not enough rain. I love what is called Fall and Winter here, but The Wet fits it better. Have a happy week!

      Delete
  4. One of my students is an accordion player! His love is the piano but he plays accordion, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! And, with an accordion, he's almost all the way to a one man band! heehee Good for him!

    Piano is such a lovely instrument. I've played some piano, by chord but have always wanted to play a concertina. Easier to sing and play at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your comments about Labor Day. It has become a lost holiday, more like an introduction to Autumn than a remembrance of the changes labor unions managed to obtain. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall dust and clean the soapbox then. hehe Thanks CountryDew. It has become lost in the "noise".

      Delete
  7. My sister lives in the OC and she is always begging me to send her some rain. She also rubs it in when we are having blizzards etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she gets rain then all of us will, so send her some, Please??? lol Of course we rub it in when the East is snowed in to the rooftops. I know, not very nice but it is weather. You know, the weather and the stock market, fair game. Please don't ask about the Padres or the Chargers. heehee

      Delete
  8. I northern New England where we have the cottage we have six seasons; winter, mud season, black fly season, summer, leaf peeping season and fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six! Wow Diana! So lucky! lol.
      Our niece lives in Maine, and tells us that she gets five seasons. She left one out! Her seasons are Winter, Mud Season, Black Fly Season, Construction Season, where you fix everything, and Leaf Peeping Season.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..