"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, September 18, 2020

Saturday Nine for the week of Crazy, Month of Agast

Frankie and Johnnie.

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


 

Saturday 9: Frankie and Johnny (1966)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When this record was initially released in 1966, it never cracked the Top 20. Critics were harsh, saying that Elvis had not kept up the times. How about you? Do you consider yourself up-to-date on today's music?  I consider myself a musical Luddite.


2) The song is about a woman named Frankie and Johnny, the man who does her wrong. Who is the most recent person to do you wrong? (It doesn't have to be in romance; it could be the person who cut in front of you in line at the supermarket.  I was called an "*ucking Idiot" for gently saying that a certain item wasn't what the poster thought it to be.  

Scientifically, they were dead wrong, and after they told me off,  I told them that.  It wasn't a matter of opinion.  It just was fact over fiction.  I just didn't want anyone to buy a pig in a poke from someone and be expecting to have the real deal.  Sometimes I hate the internet.

3) Elvis sings that Johnny cheated with "a chick named Nellie Bly." The real Nellie was an estimable woman, a pioneering 19th century journalist. Can you think of another song that mentions a real person?  Not really, but I do know that Carly Simon wrote a song that was pointed toward someone -Warren Beatty I think- being so vain that she sung " I'll bet you think this song is about you, don't you?"

4) This song was recorded for a movie by the same name. Elvis played a riverboat gambler. When did you last play a game of chance?  It has to be years and years ago.  1988?  We were all camping at Hurrahs out in the desert and as I walked in to eat dinner I spotted a line of one armed bandits.  So on the way back out, I put a couple of quarters into the end machine.  Big spender, I know. lol

5) Actor Harry Morgan had a supporting role in the movie. He's remembered as Officer Gannon on Dragnet and Col. Potter on M*A*S*H. Gannon was a good cop but could be particular about his food and surroundings. As a career soldier, Potter didn't mind roughing it every now and again. Which character are you more like: fussy Gannon or outdoorsy Potter?  I'm more like Potter.  But now it's no more tent camping but having an off-roading Bounder has been really nice.  We took it all the way up Milpitas Wash the first year we got it. Beginners Luck!  We felt so proud! We were crazy back in the early 90's.  It was a GAS. The map showed a road, we went up it.  We were lucky to get through as the rains had washed out the darn thing. Our camping buddies were shocked to see us coming up from the south through the wash instead of off the highway!

6) Elvis' leading lady was Donna Douglas. She filmed her part during her summer hiatus from TV's The Beverly Hillbillies. Have you ever had a summer job? I had a child sitting job for a working mom and got to take care of a couple of really angelic little boys, a new born and his three year old brother.  Also I was a library aide, and worked another summer at a Dairy Queen.

7) Though not remembered as an actor, Elvis was a bona fide movie star. In 1966, he was listed (with Paul Newman, Sean Connery, John Wayne and Richard Burton) as one of the world's biggest box office draws. Who starred in the last movie you watched? "It was Sharknado3 Oh Hell No!" , and the stars were Ian Ziering  and Tara Reid.  There were two notable political has beens in it, Michael Bachmann and Ann Coulter, who played the role of the VP, Sonya Buck. It's a horrible movie but then all that series are!  Crazy fun.

8) In 1966, Lauren Bacall appeared on the cover of Time with the headline: "The Pleasures and Perils of Middle Age." She was 41 years old and starring in a hit Broadway play. In the article, she explained that in middle age, she had come to understand that "character and a sense of humor are the two things that will carry you through." Tell us about something you understand better or appreciate more today than you did when you were young.  Just about anything that old age doesn't offer, like Agility and stamina... But,  the trade off is wisdom and discretion. Really, not such a bad trade.

9) Random question: Have you checked out Bud and Mimi's cool new meme, Monday Madness?

 Not yet, but thanks for reminding me what day it was on.  I thought it was today, Thursday, and went looking for it.  This Monday and next Monday are going to be challenging.  But I will try!

 If you want to join in to the Meme, and see the other offerings from The Saturday Nine Gang, just 

Go HERE 

12 comments:

  1. #2 -- Let me guess: it was an uber religious woman who responded to you that way, right? That's one of the more amazing things I've learned about social media: the meanest bullies are either high school boys or middle-aged evangelical women.

    #7 -- Now I want to watch Sharknado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Sharknado: was a lark in a dark time. It's the WORST tripe but it's SO CAMPY that it's fun. We've seen three of them now.
      About #2: I'm sure it was a 20 something male, trying to build an online business in Gemstones. He wasn't the original poster, but he was plenty hot under the collar about the particular stone. He may be selling them!
      My hubby and I are graduate Gemologists who have taken the British Gemological Institute tests, and this guy was dead wrong. I was nice about it, but really, what about the people who believed him and then found out that the stones he's sold them wear down as fast as a piece of limestone? Mon Dieu!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that Carly Simon song ...lots of speculation who it’s about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of speculation. The fans are always trying to figure out these things. lol

      Delete
  3. I hate the internet sometimes, too, but then I remember that without it, I wouldn't meet lovely people like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that which you have said is the BEST thing about the Internet. It's the very real care and bonding that happens here, in this platform. I feel the very same about you. I feel that I have a very real cousin and sister out there in that we obviously share an ancestral name in very recent times. Here's some ((((HUGS)))) Galore!

      Oh my, yes, the internet -social media anyway- is really full of angry people who want to take it out on someone, ANYone, and they really can unload! Completely anonymously, too. Oh well, it is to laugh, ha ha!

      Delete
  4. I agree that the internet stinks sometimes. Not having discussions face to face seems to give some people the "courage" to say every awful thing that crosses their minds...things they'd never say to your face. I agree with you on the trade off of wisdom and discretion for agility and stamina. Have a great weekend, Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy for these words. That little episode knocked me back for a bit. I laughed when I saw it but that was from shock!
      Ah yes, Wisdom and discretion makes you walk more slowly, and carefully, because your know your bones are awfully brittle now. I learned that after falling and breaking the dickens out of my elbow and shoulder, and dislocating them. I got to sit around a long time to contemplate reality. lol
      Thanks for the good wishes, Stacy, and right back to you. Muaaa!

      Delete
  5. I like your answer to #8! I agree and I would rather have the wisdom and discretion. My stamina is still pretty good...agility not so much. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my scribbles, Lori. Ah yes, we are all getting to the age of wisdom and discretion. And I'm glad you are still good with stamina!
      Wishing you and yours a safe and lovely week.

      Delete
  6. I kind of can't believe you've seen Sharknado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllll so are we actually.. lol. It was a Great Escape from the reality of ...well... things .. Now they are just so CAMPY and silly that they still help lift my spirits. I mean, really, Sharks living on birds in the sky? What a crack up!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..