Saturday, August 29, 2026

Saturday 9. Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)

 Saturday 9: Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.

1) Do you eat soup all year round, or do you consider it a seasonal dish?  I would eat it if it's ramen.  There is nothing I like better than Ramen Soup.

2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods?  I love LOVE me some salad.  YUM!

3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never? Sometimes but I generally only eat ramen soups and crackers are not much on my mind.  Crackers are for Peanut butter and honey treats.  hehe

4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful?  Never have I ever..... lol 

5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen? Yes, I wash it and wear it.  heehee ...  It's very curly you see, especially since I started using the shampoo that my curly haired hubster uses. 

At the risk of scaring Holi HE// out of you.. here is a pic. 



6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank? 

It was this New Year's Eve, and I had a glass of bubbly with Hubs at the count down.  It's a tradition.  

7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer?  My first experience with aircraft -even though I wanted to be a jet pilot in the air force when I was 18 - was in a biplane when I was in my early fifties, and no, I wasn't nervous. 

8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?  I've been THROUGH Las Vegas dozen's of times coming and going to rock hound gatherings, but never stopped for anything but gas. 

We went out to the back-of-beyond to go dig rocks out in various desert locations. We never had the time to stop- nor even the desire to see - anymore of it than we had to endure.  lol

9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now? Oddly, yes.  Mostly in the afternoon, I'm wearing one of three or four of the dresses I possess. I wish I had more of them but, alas, the company went out of business before making more than two designs. 


Thanks Sam!  I hope to get back into the swing of getting my butt in front of the desk top and typing out Saturday9's. I'm not good on a tablet anymore.  They keep changing things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working my way through the thicket of the American political scene. I am trying to not put any of that up on this blog EVER again. Meh!

Saturday 9. Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)

  Saturday 9: Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935) Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here . This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, fe...