"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

African Star flower

In a comment someone said that they hoped the bottom flower was not the one that attracted flies..

I am sorry to have to tell you this, Anon, but it is, indeed, the one for flies. It smells like something we would run from. It has a cadaver scent but a gorgeous flower.

Here is an URL for a page with a relative. The common name is African Star Flower, or Carrion Flowers the last of which doesn't do the flowers justice as they are beautiful but it does warn you that they are a very "different" sort of bloom.

Oh, forgot to say, the top flower glows so beautifully in the soft light of the moon but hard to capture that with the camera, however. That's what the translucent structures inside the petals do best, inviting moon light encounters. ;)

2 comments:

  1. It figures... I once had a stunning Purple Passion that was glorious and healthy and big. The it flowered....omg, I thought something had died in the living room. Drove me crazy until I finally figured it out.
    Well, ya gotta get fertilized somehow! LOL

    Meribeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I will remember not to go around smelling Purple Passion flowers! And yes, it's a good thing(maybe!) that flies also do the deed. There will always be flies!

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..