"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

This and that

I'm reading this book, you see, about people who lived on the Galapagos Islands from before WWI, and this morning felt my Wanderer's Gene pressing hard against the wall of every cell in my body. I want to leave this place and go sail away! I asked DH if he ever felt trapped. He said, "How do you mean, trapped", or something of that nature, and I answered that I felt trapped in place. When he left for the gym, I said, "Have fun"! He said, "Thanks, I'll see you when I get back, if you're still here!"

My grandfathers both gave me the "W" Gene; whenever I start traveling I just don't want to come back. In his younger years, my mother's father was a ship's mechanic in the Merchant Marines, and traveled twice around the world before he was 19.

My father's father was just sort of a soldier of fortune in that long period of revolution after the Mexican-American war, when the US attacked a struggling Mexico shortly after Mexico had won independence from Spain. Anyway, Pepe was from New Mexico/Colorado, and a total French/Spanish Patriot of Mexico if there ever was one. He had this "We don't need no steenking borders" sort of attitude, to paraphrase that now famous line from the movie, "The Treasure of Sierra Madre". But, the sanguine part of all this, looking back, is that I have a Wanderer's heart.

I'm reading this book called "My Father's Island", written by Johanna Angermeyer.  In it is everything a human could want to know about all the bigger philosophical issues of Life with a Capital "L".



I recommend this very well written book for a fun read and that it is educational as well.  I didn't know that these Islands were taken over, more or less, by the British, for one, and it must have been a real fight for Ecuador to get them back.   Or, that American Tuna boats regularly fished illegally there, too?  Well, well.

Anyway, Mz. Angermeyer has been promising a sequel for ages but it's still not out.  If she publishes it, I'll be in line to buy a copy!

The Yukon Leaves sock got it's gusset, as I quit fussing about whether it will be too deep for the tiny foot it's being created for and just to got on with it!  Also, my hand, which is still cranky is not THAT cranky anymore.  Gott Im Himmel!!!!   I hate cranky appendages!

Over and out from the netbook... wheeee!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..