"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Summertime Sunday Stealing, on Saturday Night..

July 19, 2014
summer meme
Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of memes from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent memes. You may have heard of the expression, “honor amongst thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from and we will “fess up” to the blog owner where we stole the meme. We also provide a link to the victim's meme. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from this new meme or recently asked questions from a previously featured meme.
Let's go!!!

From: Quizopolis

Note to readers:  As a kid, I looked forward to summer and the freedom to read all day if I got done with chores which were many.  Now, I just dread it because of the heat and the crowded beaches.

Favorite summer flower:  My favorites are the wildflowers, and top of the list is the Queen Anne's Lace that grows wild in Lost Coast.  


I like the ones like Indian Paintbrush and some of the Yellow Water Worts that grow near the fresh water stream at Agate Beach.  HERE is a web page for finding any California wildflower that exists.

Flavor of ice cream:  Chocolate Mousse!

Mode of transportation:  I like to ride bikes.  Of course, I no longer can, but that's not important.  

Music:  Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young for summer concert memories.  Wow, Concerts and picnics on the grass at the Wild Animal Park in the summer past.

Food:  I like potato salad, hot dogs, four bean salad, and I'd reaaally like to make a coconut cake like the one that we had at the Fourth.  Lordie,  that was SO good!

Favorite game to play: Cards?  I like Cribbage.  I nearly always win.  I have NO idea why this is so but Mr. Z says it's because it's a game of pure luck, no skill necessary. hehehe.  I love to throw the frisbee, if you mean that sort of game.   

Earliest childhood summer memory:  At my grandparent's house, in Ohio.  I was about 20 months old, and I remember leaving streaks of my own blood on the stair well walls as I walked down, wailing, and bled from cuts received from a razor blade I found in my newly arrived parental unit's luggage.  It was on the bed, and there was this shiny, amazing looking "thing" in a corner of it.  Little kids like, "shiny".  

Favorite Drink:  I like Orange Julius', and so when all else failed I figured out how to make them.

Favorite Snack:  Fiery crunchy Cheetos!


Place to read:  Curled up on what I used to call The new tall bed, with my little reading buddy by my side.


Most annoying:  From my Youth, I hated the heat and the fact that all the canning HAD to be done in the summer.  Now, of course, you can freeze a lot of stuff but not when I was growing up nor when my own kids were small.  I remember having to the stand in the utility porch, stripping skins off of a THOUSAND pounds of tomatoes, apricots, or peaches.  You have to dip them in boiling water and then the skins will slip off.  Then the packing and the water baths.  I helped my mother do all this but I did learn how to preserve the summer's bounty.

How I handle the heat:  I'm not good at all with heat.  I handle it by standing in the shower with a long dress on and getting dripping wet.  Thank you Suzi for the tip!

Pet Peeve:  I'm not too peeved at much anymore.  Well, the use of Drones.  They make me peevish.

All-time favorite bathing suit:  The swimsuit that I had in my forties.  It was gorgeous.  Aqua blue floral with a crossing top; it was a one piece and fit like a dream.

Best Time of Day:  Evening, when the sun is going down and the birds fly in for a last drink of water from the bird bath.

Most romantic:  Watching the Sunsets, with DH, on Sunset Cliffs.

Summer movie:  My favorite one is a movie that was filmed in Iceland, in the winter.  It's called "Noi, The Albino".  Though it is a bit strange, and this is important, everything is very cold!  I want to watch it again and very soon!

10 comments:

  1. I loved your answers. Those canning skills will only last another generation or so, I fear, and we have forgotten what great bounty we can get from the land if we only take the time to plant a little garden. We plant very little these days but still enjoy lots of squash and tomatoes from it, and if I would can them we'd have them. However, I tend not to do that because I am lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canning is so labor intensive, and must be done in the heat of summer, that I fear you are right about it going away. It's not laziness, my friend, it's self preservation.

      Since I live here in Cal, it's possible to can things all year but not of course, the peaches, tomatoes and squash. In fall, a person can make green tomato chow chow, and zucchini pickle though. :o) Zucchini plants are so... generous!

      Delete
  2. Those fiery hot Cheetos are the rage at my kids' schools. I wish I would have learned to can when I was a kid. My mom wasn't into cooking or any of that kind of stuff. I love the photo of your reading buddy - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn and Wolfie loves to *read* with me as long as one hand is petting him. :o) Otherwise he lays his head across the page and looks soulfully into my eyes.
      This chips were lovely when I could actually eat them. It's been awhile but I still remember them with a Latino Passion!
      Canning is a lovely art. This, even when it fails somewhat because you can always freeze things now. Or store it in the fridge if it's like my last failure. The cactus "jelly" is lovely on top of pound cake and strawberries, or with So Delicious *ice cream*.

      Delete
  3. That is a pretty wild flower. Funny how one person's weed in a flower to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very pretty, and I'm so glad you liked it, too. It is beautiful, really, especially when you come across a field of them in the cool shade along the coast of Central Cal. Little children love wildflowers. It must be the kid in us. ;o)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a traumatic memory! That must have been pretty scary for your parents and grandparents, too. I like Queen Anne's Lace, too. I don't seem to see it along the roads much these days, though. Did you ever put it in a vase with food coloring in the water and watch it change color? My kids used to like doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacy, the traumatic, or dramatic events are usually the ones that fairly young kids remember very well. That's actually my earliest memory. I remember that my grandparents were very upset. Of course my mother was, too. I think that it wasn't an auspicious beginning for my Dad's entry into the family unit. It didn't seem to be a good thing. I remember being very scared about it all.
    I didn't know Queen Anne's Lace would take up color like that. We have tried it with white carnations; they do that also. I think I'll try the Queen Anne's Lace as soon as some comes my way again. Thanks for the tip on that. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your reading buddy is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Kwizgiver. :o) He's a little teddy bear doll. But, he likes to lay his head on my book and gaze up at me so I'll pet him more. Then he lets me read again.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..