"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday Stealing.. I'll have a main course of Non Fiction, please.. Mystery for dessert.

April 18, 2015

Book Preference Meme

Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of memes from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent memes. You may have heard the expression, “honor amongst thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from. We also provide a link to the victim's meme in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from this new meme or recently asked questions from a previously featured meme.
Cheers to all of us thieves!!!

Please note:  please excuse my late night errors.  I'm typing in the dark, on a tiny keyboard, and that usually makes for interesting spelling and punctuation errors because I'm blind by this time of night!  Enjoy!

Book Preference Meme


Stolen from: The now-defunct Tense Teacher


Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror? 
A. Yes please!
Hardback or Trade paperback or Mass market paperback? 
A. Well, from the look at the pile on the side of the bed, Hardbacks win, three to one.  But,really, I don't care.  Lately, I'm going looking for e book bargains.  There are way too many books for shelves en la casa.  

Amazon or Brick and Mortar? 
A. I buy used books from stores or from Amazon.  Sometimes, when the moon is blue, I buy New.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? 
A.  I've bought from both chains but Adam's Avenue Bookstore is my favorite place.

Bookmark or Dog-ear? 
A. Bookmark.

Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy Science Fiction? 
A. Asimov.  But there are times when I've read Fantasy SiFi like maybe Firefly?

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or Random? 
A. The Dewey Decimal System is fine for libraries but my book collection is still small enough to keep in my head.  Lots of books here are by subject.

Keep, Throw away or Sell? 
A. I can't part with a book except to the kids or my Sis.  I'll give them books but they return the favor and give me books ,too.

Keep dust-jacket or Toss it? 
A.I keep it to the bitter, tattered end.  

Read with dustjacket or Remove it? 
A  .I read them dust jacketed if they came to me that way.

Short story or Novel? 
A.  Both

Stop reading when tired or at Chapter breaks? 
A. I read myself to sleep because it works the best to keep getting enough sleep.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time?” 
A. I still love sweet stories about heroes, damsels, and Knights in shining armor.  But I LOVE mysteries!

Buy or Borrow? 
A. Lots of times I can't wait to borrow when the wait list is so long that it makes me hyperventilate.  So, I'll buy it on kindle- like The Book Thief, or go to a book store.  But, that doesn't happen that often anymore as I've gotten less and  less (and less) time to read.  

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse? 
 A. I listen to friends who are blog writers or just scan for new books by authors I've read before, like Donna Leon.  I read books by authors featured in Documentaries I've watched.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)? 
A. Lately I've been reading O'Henry and Aldous Huxley and other older authors stories I've missed, Thomas Hardy is one.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger? 
A. Cliff hanging is for  a TV Drama Series.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading? 
A. All of the above, in bits and pieces all day long when I'm resting and not trying to knit.

Standalone or Series? 
A.  I don't often find a series in the sort of things I read, but there are a few, like #1 Ladies Detective Agency or the Emilia Peabody Series, or Donna Leon's series about Venice.  
Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?  
A. Mango Elephants in the Sun


Favorite genre series?
A. Any clever mystery series that is not about Psycho or serial killers.

 Currently Reading?

A. Donna Leon's, Falling in Love , Hung Lou Meng's translation of Dream of the Red Chamber, and The Essential Dickens , and some Amish Romances.  I find them to be sweet, and they also make me think about something other than big city crime rates.  I read the books of Ruth Hartzler even though she needs some better proof readers.  She has an authentic "voice" to her writing, and is a retired upper grade school teacher.

Thank you for this meme, Kwizgiver.  It was very fun to chat about books.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to check Mango Elephants in the Sun. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy. It's sort of a memoir of a young woman's adventures in Africa. The Eye of the Elephant is another book, non fiction, of a couples' experience in Africa. Both are well written and keep your attention- =o| - as only adventure can.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..