"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song: Nat King Cole

The Christmas Song


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song (1961)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics mention "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." Do you often eat chestnuts?

I don't think I've ever had any of the English ones roasted.  I LOVE water chestnuts, though.  I could eat a whole can of them by myself.  


2) There's a reference to Jack Frost, too. Does cold weather help you get into the holiday spirit?
I think so.  It is the time when we warm weather people watch a lot of snowy scenes in Movies.  And a little nippy weather helps when we go around looking at Christmas lights.  It helps the mood for Christmas.

 
Houston Zoo B Doo

3) Nat sings that turkey helps to make the season bright. We just had it last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it primarily a holiday dish? 

We don't eat it anytime but Thanksgiving, when someone else makes it.   I don't ever eat it.  Finally I am freeeeeeeee! I don't have to eat it ever again! 
 
4) This song was published as "The Christmas Song," but people often refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" or "Merry Christmas to You." When you think of this song, which title comes to mind?  "Merry Christmas  to You"

5) Nat King Cole had a big hit in the 1950s with "Mona Lisa." The ballad compares an enigmatic woman to the Da Vinci painting, which hangs in the Louvre. The Mona Lisa has been called the most instantly identifiable painting in the world. Can you think of another famous painting that you recognize on sight? (Extra points if you include a picture!)  I can, and here is one of them....Mr Z. bought me a print of this one when we visited the Museum several years ago with Rockhound friends.



Image on open sharing from The Getty Museum.


Irises, by Vincent Van Gogh.
6) Best remembered today as a singer, Cole was also an accomplished composer and jazz pianist. Do you like jazz?
I like Jazz.   Not all of it, but a lot of it.  I ADORE ragtime.  BeeBop, not so much.

 
7) The only Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist. She never sees Dr. Douglas socially. In fact, she hasn't seen him since her annual check-up last March. Have you received many cards this year?
No, and I don't send out any either.  If I ever have the space and time to hand-make cards, I will send them out to probably less than 20 households.

 
8) When did/will you start holiday shopping this year: Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Halloween? Earlier than that?
We don't buy or even exchange Christmas presents with anyone anymore.  No more little kids in the family. 

 
9) This time of year is big for charitable fundraising. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you.

We still do a single, monthly gift to twelve charities, among them is Doctor's Without Borders, and we also sent another gift to Doctors without Borders for my birthday this year.  
Also, we are monthly donors for the Humane Society.  These two charities do so many amazing things, and I hold them very dear to my heart.
 

Thank you Sam!  And I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas! If you would like to see the other responses, go HERE to Saturday Nine's Web Page and scroll down to the Linkie.

13 comments:

  1. Are water chestnuts and Nat King Cole chestnuts the same thing?

    We seem to be Van Gogh lovers here at Sat. 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gal. With Van Gogh, who would be pleased with how popular he is now, we Sat.9’s certainly agree. He was a very special man, very troubled, too. Painting was his solace.
      About Water chestnuts: they are a corm from a grasslike reed, and, to me, are delicious. Chestnuts from the song are a tree nut. From Europe, I think. πŸ€”
      πŸŽ„πŸŽMerry Christmas to you and yours.... I’m not sure I’ll be around the next couple of weeks, so I’m wishing you this now.

      Delete
  2. You are watching snowy scenes and by January I will be watching movies set in warm, sunny locales. My favorite is "My Life In Ruins." Love all that gorgeous Greek scenery!

    Doctors Without Borders is a great charity! I just love the difference they make in a child's life. <3

    If we don't do this again next weekend, I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a blessed New Year, Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, and thanks. Merry Merry! πŸŽ„πŸŽ I hope you have it off. 🀞🏻
      That movie sounds like something I’d like to see.
      Doctors WB is very fine indeed. They are seriously brave, too!

      Delete
  3. Interesting--we both chose a Van Gogh painting. I love your monthly giving idea--we do it sort of informally, whenever our charity has a need, but I like the idea of a more formal monthly thing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The giving scheme I thought up made it easier on us. We got bombarded with mail because most charities have hired companies to do their fund raising. It’s a little disgusting but the bigger ones really haven’t much choice. It’s cost effective for big ones.
      Thanks for your thoughtful comment, and I wish you a happy Holiday season.
      Van Gogh was relatively prolific, so I’m not too surprised about this. Besides, what he created helped fund his brother Theo’s family operations for a few generations. They popularized his work. Well, they did, and all the other art dealers who came after. Artists can get bitter about this. πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  4. Oh what fantastic charities!!! I wish I could donate to everything I wanted to. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. Merry!Merry! πŸŽ„πŸŽ
      That monthly scheme has worked for us, and we still give extra funds for emergency things, but the San Diego Shoe fund is one that we give to permanently. It’s tiny, local, and, as you’ve probably guessed, buys school shoes for children who are in need.

      Delete
  5. We out grew exchanging presents, instead we do a Yankee Swap.
    I love your choice of charities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! This giving scheme has worked well for our family over the years.
      And I wish you a very merry Yankee swap at Christmas. It sounds like a lot of funπŸŽ„πŸŽ.

      Delete
  6. I like supporting local charities that are in my community. Although I love your charities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Kwizgiver. We have have four locals in our rota. A Shelter for adults and their kids, The San Diego Shoe Fund, started by an educator in the thirties I think, San Diego Sierra Club, and SD Audubon. We found out that they didn’t get the money we sent to national, so switched.
      Hope you have a lovely Christmas. πŸŽ„πŸŽ!,

      Delete
  7. I love that van gogh painting. We both chose him. Our Christmas giving seems to be winding down. I love to give presents, though, to people I care about.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..