"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Friday, July 1, 2022

Saturday Nine. Back to the USA>

SATURDAY 9: BACK IN THE USA (1978)

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

 

Readers: Like to see other Saturday9ers posts?  Please go HERE.  You'll love this group.  We can be so sassy.  OK, Gal.  I'm busy today so I'll go first.  

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here


From the archives, with some tweaks

 
1) This song lists seven cities -- New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis -- that Linda just loves. How many have you visited?  If I had a map handy I could do this better, but alas....

I grew up 10 miles from downtown Los Angeles so am pretty familiar with L.A.  Mother took us there a lot to shop for school clothes or Christmas.  

I haven't been to any of the other cities except for when I was a baby or toddler, and Mom and Dad were in Baton Rouge when my dad was stationed there; later I traveled through Chicago on a train to and from Ohio when I was a toddler and until I was a five year old.  

I am sure that the train went though St. Louis, too, but I remember clearly that it went through Albuquerque. because people came up to the train windows with trays of things to sell.  Mother let me choose a little sombrero pin.  I still have it.

I've never been to the other cities.

As a three year old or five year child, I was taken through some of them on car-trips with my grandparents, or on a train with my mother and little brothers.  

I remember going to Grandfather's family owned campground with my mother, and also of putting my hands into Lake Eerie, and seeing the wonderful clear and still water, with Autumn leaves floating on the top of it. Every thing was to CLEAR and CLEAN back then. It may have been Canada, because that's where his family is from.

But what I have no clue about was what state it was in.  I no longer have anyone to ask.

2) The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger?

I like Lettuce and Tomato, a slice of onion and a slice of dill pickle on my veggieburger.

3) The original recording of this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang?   

This is still in my range... wonder of wonders, and I've liked the lilt and the sound of it for ages and ages..  Personally, I don't have any problems like the song, but I love the line.... "so at least until tomorrow, I'll never fall in love again."



4) Linda performed The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season?

Sorry Gal, I just don't follow baseball anymore.  But I did like our local Padres when we had season tickets.
 
5) On the sleeve for this record, Linda was photographed on roller skates. Emergency rooms report a spike in wrist injuries, with people falling off skates and skateboards and jamming their wrists catching softballs. Have you recently been to the Emergency Room or Urgent Care?  Not recently. Happily. 
 
6) It's July, so summer is in full swing. Bug bites are a big summer annoyance. Are you itching and scratching this morning?  No, happily not.

Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions related to the holiday.
 
6) The Pennsylvania Evening Post was the first newspaper to print the Declaration of Independence. What's the most recent printed media you have read (newspaper, magazine, newsletter, etc.)? This morning, I read the front page of our local Rag.

7) In high school, Sam was crazy about American history and got good grades. Science was her worst subject. In high school, where did you shine? In what subject were your grades not so hot?  I never got a lower grade than a B in anything. In Geometry I got an A+. Of Course, the plus never counts in the GPA, nor do the minuses.  But it gave me a thrill to get that grade from a Professor Emeritus who was teaching our class that year.  That was the ACME of my math career, as the rest of the Maths remained a total mystery! GAH!  Yes!  Hide the Chocolate!


8) The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01 AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th?  IDon'tthinkso...  Seen one fireworks bonanza, you've seen them all.  I must take pity on my OLD EARS!

9) Americans love to celebrate our independence. In fact, there are more than 30 towns all across the US called Independence. There are two in MN alone (one outside Duluth, the other west of Minneapolis). Please google it and let us know: does your state have an Independence?

Yes, Verily I say unto you, there is an Independence California, in the Unincorporated desert out Yonder in the back of Beyond....  

Independence California.  I have been through it.



15 comments:

  1. I didn't know about Independence, CA until I looked it up on Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mz Bev. I was happy to see the old county seat in a Sat9. The only reason I knew California had an Independence, was because - as a Geology major and a lifelong rockhound - I've likely been to every square inch of the back of beyond in the southern and central part of our state. My Mom and Dad also had a claim staked out in Kings County, when you still could do that.

      Delete
  2. Your memory of Lake Erie is so poignant. How could we hold our national treasures so cheaply.

    The Padres are in second place in their division. That sounds better than it is. Unfortunately, they are behind the Dodgers and the Dodgers are really good this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour, mon ami. Yes, we couldn't we treat our Land - of which so many claim a love for - a lot better than a trash barrel or Dumping Ground? I'm 100% in that with you...
      Ah... Baseball... I guess I'll see if the Padres can pass the Dodgers then. It's a fight worthy of a long look-in. ;-)

      Delete
  3. #8 We were like the people in the photo when in my teenage years when one of the kids in the car got the bright idea of throwing a M-80 out the window... but he forgot the window was up and it went off in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply to your comment about making a MP3 of your vinyl records: Did you know that there are free programs that you can download the sound tracks from YouTube videos? "Any Video Converter"

      Delete
    2. OMG! That rascal! I can just see you all a-scrambling to get that thing out a window asap!

      Delete
  4. I am surprised there isn't an Independence, Maine. I was certain there was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should have one, too! Maine and the whole East Coast should, frankly! Lol What a shocker that is.....

      Delete
  5. Merry & Pippin. Heh. Always into something. I enjoyed your memories of your travels of your youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two are like a force of nature! hahaha... Also, I'm glad you enjoyed little Miss Gulliver's Travels. It was fun to be awayyyyy from my terribly Mad (insane) Parental, as he stayed in California by himself. I think my mother couldn't make up her mind about going back to him. Sadly she did....
      Life is what it is. Survival becomes a game, apparently, that too many women like to play, with fire.

      Delete
  6. I would love to take a train ride and see more of the country.
    I was better at Algebra than Geometry. I am not good at math, and I really wanted to be. Loved your answers! Have a Happy 4th of July!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were still possible to take a really good train, like the ones in Europe, to see all the country. Then we could see more, and not have to fly. I love airplanes, but not flying in the big aluminum tubes that is modern air travel.

      Algebra was harder for me. It's one of my B's. I think it's a breeze with a calculator, which is ok with teachers nowadays.. We were in school before the sanity of calculators, and during the Tyranny of Slide Rules. hee hee
      Happy Fourth of July!

      Delete
  7. I love the music of Dionne Warwick! Do you still live in California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. Isn't Dionne Warwick fabulous?
      And..... Yes, I still live in California .. *waves*

      I've lived here since I was 2 years old, so practically my whole life.
      I was three, and five years old when Mother took us all with her (for about six months) when she went back to have her next two babies in Ohio, so three of us were born there. My little sister was born in the 50's, after the war, in California.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..