"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, August 5, 2022

Big Bad John


Readers, if you would like to participate in this or just see other Saturday Nine posts, go HERE to the Linkie.

1) This song tells the story of a stern, enigmatic miner. None of the other miners knew much about him. When people first meet you, do you think they see you more as mysterious or straightforward?

I am straitforward.  I do have some part of the "feminine Mystique" about me, but let few people see it. 

 

2) During a serious accident, many of the miners panicked. But not John. Think of your family, friends and acquaintances. Who would be the most dependable in a crisis?  Serious accidents .. hmmm..  I guess that it would be my hubby.  I can't think of any of my friends, whom I know well enough, to be able to guess how they would do in a crisis.  I told before that I once had to walk into gunfire to save some elementary kids.  Happily the shooter had to reload so we got back out safely.  What a horrible day that was... Every time there is another senseless shooting, it is sadder and sadder.   


3) His heroism allowed 20 miners to escape, but cost John his life. According to the lyrics, there's a marble slab on site of mine that honors him. Is there a memorial to a local hero in your town? Yes, it's in Balboa Park, A War Memorial Building. 


4) This song was written and performed by Jimmy Dean. He began composing it on a flight from New York to Nashville. How do you amuse yourself while traveling? You'll find Looking out the window chatting with my hubby, and listening to music. 


5) Jimmy Dean hosted a long-running variety show on CBS, which is best-remembered today for introducing Jim Henson's puppets -- especially Rowlf, a dog who sang and told jokes. While Rowlf didn't make it to Sesame Street, he was a recurring character on the Muppet Show. Are you a Muppet fan? Yes, I love the Muppets! 


6) Jimmy found success in business with The Jimmy Dean Sausage Company. He sold the company to Sara Lee in 1984 for $80 million. Today Jimmy Dean breakfast products are still popular in grocery stores all over the country. What's your favorite breakfast? My favorite breakfast is a cheese Omelet with hashbrowns and cinnamon toast.  


7) In 1961, when this song was popular, Vogue asked if fashion sense is inborn or if could a woman could learn to be chic. What do you think? Do you think style is either something you have, or you don't?  No I don't think that way.  Everyone should wear what they like, I think, and as long as it doesn't get them arrested, all is good.  Kookie styles are fun, too. 


8) Also in 1961, Ernest Hemingway took his own life. Did you read Hemingway in English class? Can you recall any other novels you read for school? Oh yes, we were stuck reading that one, which IMHO is his dullest works.  But he also wrote other things that I liked a lot better.  I read Moby Dick and also Two Years Before the Mast in that time period and liked them both a whole lot better.  

 9) Random question: Think about the last "white lie" you told. Was it to make your own day easier or spare someone's feelings?  Generally if someone does something to me that is out of character, and they apologize, I will just say i's OK.  No biggie.  My skin is pretty thick now.  


Thanks Sam!  This is always fun.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kwizgiver for your nice comment. Google has apparently done something to the comments. Goggle is always messing with these blogs.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..