"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, March 17, 2023

Saturday Nine: " The Rocky Road to Dublin"

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
  

 Saturday 9: The Rocky Road to Dublin (2008)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it Here


Dear readers, as per usual, you will get a full on rant with every entry that requires one (in my eyes).  I have a lot to get off my chest in a big hurry! And, I want to leave a legacy for the kids - Heretic Rebel that I am.


1) This song is about a young man who leaves home to seek his fortune. How old were you when you first moved out on your own? I was 18 when I finally got away, after two years work at a local college, to UCLA.  

However, I soon had to go home, because of a family emergency: Ma Kettle shot Pa Kettle, and my little sister went nuts, so I went home.  

Shortly after that, I was kicked out by the maniac, dear old Pa, and got a job at the phone company and my own little studio apartment. 

Why the law didn't intervene is that the wound was a "through and through', so Pa never had to go to a hospital. He then set about getting his revenge.  Unfortunately, by not standing up to El Monstro, Ma set the stage for her further abuse.  I could write an Opera based on them. 

2) He leaps onto a ship but the captain makes him sleep in the hold with pigs. Have you ever taken a cruise? (If so, we hope you had better accommodations.)  I've never taken a cruise but I've been across to Catalina several times to visit family there.  If you haven't been there, you will love it.  It's fun and beautiful, enchanting even, especially at night.  However, I
 would have liked to take a cruise.  Not on any huge, "stacked city" that is now afloat. The noise would be horrid.  I want to hear the wind in the sails, you know?  If I HAD gone, DH and I would have gone to Alaska, on a smaller cruise ship. 

 3) This recording of the song is by The High Kings. Well established in Ireland, their career reached new heights in March 2012. Right after playing for the Lord Mayor of London's St. Patrick's Day celebration, they flew to Washington to perform for President Obama at the White House St. Patrick's Day concert. Tell us about a time when you were so happy, you had to pinch yourself to make sure you weren't dreaming.  When I met my hubby for the first time.  It really was love at first sight for me. His gentle kindness just enveloped and enchanted me.  
 
4) This song was chosen because Friday was St. Patrick's Day. Do you celebrate this holiday?  Heck ya!  But at our age it's Low Key.  You see there's Irish aplenty on both sides of this family.  There's Scot's Irish on my side, and Irish Irish on hubbie's side.  That's where all the red hair came from. 
 
5) Leprechauns are a symbol of St. Patrick's Day. These small Irish fairies are said to live in the forest, guarding their gold. Do you often wear gold? That would be a no.  I am too yellow toned to wear it well.  That comes from the Native American genes picked up from Peru and the USA during the four direction Hopi travels. 


6) McDonald's has made Shamrock Shakes a St. Patrick's Day tradition. McDonald's began adding the drive-thru window to their restaurants in the 1970s. Would you rather order from the restaurant counter or the drive-thru? Starbucks counter.  McDonalds is a restaurant? 😬 I think I'll pass.

7) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?
 Not I, but my mother's always had a charming ability to find four-leaf clover in her garden.  She had several dried ones in her wallet when it came into my possession after her death.


8) Thinking of Lucky Charms, they are magically delicious. What breakfast cereal is in your kitchen right now?  Well, there is a canister full of bulk oatmeal.  That's the only cereal we ever have.  And, I've been meaning to try over-night oats, something that is all over social media. No other cereal, for decades, has passed over our doorstep, though I once liked Cheerios as well as Rice Chex and Wheat Chex cereal.
 
9) Random question: Think of your upcoming week. Which day will be the busiest? Busiest?  Hmmm???  That would probably be the one that contains a doctor's appointment but since we've been staying away from doctors lately, *knock on wood* it looks to be a calm week en toto. 

To end on a high note.  Here's my favorite style of Irish Music.  


Dear Readers, if you want to read other Saturday 9 post or to join in the fun, please go HERE to the mother ship.  I promise it's a lot of fun to read and fun to participate in.  The link is also in the side bar.  

Thank you Sam!  This is always fun.  

17 comments:

  1. That story about your parents: Wow. Just wow. My mom and uncle had similar stories about their father (they called him "The Man"). Theirs didn't have guns but I do recall a harrowing one involving a saw that ended in at trip to the hospital. When they talked to each other about these things, my mom and uncle would laugh and laugh. "That's not funny!" I'd insist, but they'd wave me off. I understand now laughter was how they shared camaraderie over the horror they shared.
    Anyway, I am amazed and encouraged by your capacity to love and empathize, after all you've been through. Yours is a resilient spirit, Ms. Zip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we did, my Bro and Sis and I. The man actually had gravely injured one of our siblings, six months old, by throwing a tennis ball as hard as he could, and hitting him in the head because our baby brother was crying in his crib.
      You have to understand, Mom didn't see or hear it happen, she was working in another part of the house. I got a big backhand to the face from The Psycho, when I screamed with my little brother when he was hit and ran to tell Mom what happened.
      Doctor's in those days were mystified, and to mother, I was a liar, my four year old brother didn't know what happened, but Andre lived the rest of his life as a six month old. The baby didn't even get to see a doctor until my grandmother sent my grandfather out from Ohio, to see what was wrong with him. André was his name, and I will never forget him. He was beautiful.

      Delete
    2. So many people just go through HELL to grow up, don't they? I wish it wasn't possible to hide these things from other adults because you fear some dragon of a parent or, anyone else.

      Delete
  2. Oh Zippi, I am so sorry about #1. No one should have to go through that. I hear stories like that all of the time as a teacher. It makes me so sad.
    I love the Irish music you shared! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori, I am glad you liked the music. It's my favorite in the world.
      Children go through a lot of hell at home and they have no idea of how or what they did to deserve it. I'm glad that some of them can now open up and tell a trusted teacher or pastor or friend. Yes, it does make one sad. Some of the teen friends that my girls hung out with had some real horror stories to relate. I cannot imagine how they survived it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is. It is a tiny getaway spot ... perfect for people who like that sort of resort and relaxing without being surrounded by scads of reveling crowds.

      Delete
  4. #1 Toxic parents. A friend’s mother used to degrade her daughter, her mother constantly told her that she could do anything right and her brothers were always right! She is in her 70s never saw her family again and still is carrying the emotional baggage.
    #7 My mother also carried around a four leaf cover.
    I loved the video at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1. It is terrible to have a toxic parent. Sometimes it's what you have to do, as your friend has done. Close them out. How we survive I do not know. I haven't told my kids the half of what we all went through, actually my DH either. It's because I buried it so deep just to survive it.

      Delete
  5. #1 is harrowing! I also would like to try overnight oats. And that is my favorite type of Irish music, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom hit my dad upside the head with a cinder block once. Fortunately for him, he had on a motorcycle helmet at the time. Some people really should not be parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people should not be parents. Absolutely True!
      Unfortunately, there is no test that can be given - like for a driver's license - that can protect the next generation from Toxicity passed down to them. Maybe there should be more parenting classes in High School, but of course there would be a huge outcry. Well, then if the churches don't want the only other agency that CAN teach classes, to do it, then CHURCHES should step up and shoulder the burden!

      Delete
  7. #1 is shocking. So sorry you had to go through that.

    I love Irish music like what you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About #1: Thank you Bev. I've not EVER told much about it, but I needed to let anyone else who reads this to know that they are not alone and that there is hope.

      And the Bands... I love the Irish bands. There are a couple of others, toom which or being readied for Monday Music. The Cieli Band and one group a little less traditional: Clannad. Just have to find them in You Tube or Vevo.

      Delete
  8. My dad was king and funny. I am sorry you had to go through all that and not finish UCLA. I went to UCI. I loved our Alaksa cruise. Prices have come down. I hope you get to go. I am glad you met your kind husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Dad's can certainly be "King" of the Realm, but they also have to be Kind! Then it is OK to grow up under their little rules and such. I'm sure you had a lovely set of parents. I'm not sure we would survive a cruise at our age but maybe a little one out to Catalina on a sail boat. That would be fun. Not right now though.. lol ⛈️⚡🌪️ Oh my!

      Delete
    2. PS to Susan. Meeting my husband was like a miracle. I didn't ever expect to even find anyone... It was, well, Kismet! 💞

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..