"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, May 26, 2023

Saturday 9 for Memorial Day......



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.

1) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.

Lots of my cousins, most of my uncles (both maternal and fraternal) , and my father and brother have all served.  

My maternal grandfather was a merchant marine during the first world war.  Merchant marines suffered very heavy losses, more per capita, than any other service. They were what helped to keep Europe from being crushed by supplying food and munitions to them during that war. I didn't get to talk to my Grandpa about it but my mother told me some stuff.  

I, myself, haven't had the honor.  I did choose a service - Air Force - and I took all their tests.  They really , really wanted me to join, but wouldn't yet allow women to fly jets. So, I went on to "greater glory" as a "Domestic Engineer". 😉

2) Memorial Day has its own flag etiquette. In the morning, the American flag should be flown at half staff in memory of those we have lost. Then, at noon, it should be raised briskly to full staff, in honor of all who have served. Where is the nearest flag flying from where you sit right now?  

That would be at the Post office which is a few blocks away.  I don't think anyone puts out a flag anymore around here.  The next door neighbor's widow may still fly one.  I have a 5.5 by 9.5 but don't fly it.  

3) Since 1988, motorcycle riders have participated in Rolling Thunder. In events all over the country, including Washington DC, bikers "Roll Together" to draw attention to service members still missing and raise awareness of mental health issues our veterans cope with each day. When have you most recently ridden a motorcycle? A scooter? A bicycle?  

That would be my ten speed bike, 20 or so years ago, unless you count the more recent stationary bike at the gym.  Even that was several years ago now.  Boy do I miss bike riding!  It was loads of fun. My uncle had a Harley. He gave me rides now and then.

4) This week's song is the title track of Billy Ray Cyrus' best-selling album. Named for this patriotic song, the album also included Billy Ray's signature song, "Achy Breaky Heart." "Achy Breaky Heart" is a popular choice on karaoke nights. Do you know it well enough to sing along?  

Yes.  And, I've always loved it... and the energy in it.  

5) Sandy Kane, the hero of "Some Gave All," is based on a real Vietnam vet Billy Ray Cyrus met and spoke to about his sacrifice for his country. Can you think of another song based on a real person?  

Yes, Eric Clapton's "Layla" though, believe me, I can hardly wait for the keyboard to cut in now.  I have very OLD ears!  I love that song!

6) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?  

We don't have seasonal clothes especially since, as my Turkish friend put it one year, "You live in Winterless California and have no idea what Winter is really like."  We do wear down jackets when the temperature goes below 65, and, when the kids were small, we did buy ski stuff.  But the kids, they are like snowmen.  They think anything over 65 is sweltering.  They've all become acclimatized to Northern California.  That is a whole "other country", Northern (Central Coast) Cal. 

7) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? 

No, just the fan inside the PC Tower because it is a very cool May.  It's rained a bit, and "clizzled" for three days.  

8) Memorial Day is also a holiday for retailers. Ads promise great prices on everything from grills to lawn decorations to high tech gear and gadgets. Will you be shopping any sales this weekend? 

Most likely not... and Hubby just concurred.

Random question: When is the last time you felt like a kid? 

Just a few days ago.  I learned that it's not uncommon for old people to be kids inside even if they are unable to leap up and and click their heels together anymore.  That means that we get to go ahead and have that second childhood.  



Thank you Sam!  

Dear Readers.  If you would like to see other 9er's entries, and/or join in the fun, Go HERE to the Home Page of Saturday 9 and scroll down to the linkie. 


12 comments:

  1. #1: I think you'd like Maverick, the Top Gun sequel. A woman aviator gets her moment and it's pretty glorious!
    #5: Did you know that "Layla" (aka Patti Boyd) was also the inspiration for the Beatles' "Something?" She's got to be rock's top muse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gal. I think I'd like that movie, too!
      And #5. I did know about Layla being the inspiration for the Beatle's song. And yes, she has to be rock's top Muse!
      Also, I have always liked the voice and songs of Billy Ray Cyrus a lot. He has finally, I think, gotten the acclaim that he deserves as a country western songwriter and performer.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to join the Air Force, too. I wanted to go the ROTC route, but none of the colleges that offered the program were acceptable to my father and thus, the dream died. Now, had I just enlisted in the Army as the recruiter was constantly calling me...he'd have been fine with that. Go figure. We witnessed that whole down jacket when it's 65 degrees when we lived in Florida. We were in shorts and loving it and wondering "what's wrong with these people?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Army and not the Air Force? *slaps forehead!* Was your dad an ex army drill sergeant? That's just so unfair!
      LOL about the you experiencing the weather in Florida... I'm sitting here in the chilly draft of the CPU tower and shivering and laughing in the face of 65 degree weather. My Colorado cousins laughed themselves sick over us needing our jackets in their August weather.
      Have a great Sunday coming up.

      Delete
  3. #2 I didn’t even think of the post office!
    #5 A great song! I love the opening riff.
    #6 65F for winter jackets! This morning I woke up and it was 45! That was spring jacket weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there.. and thanks for the comments, too.
      Well, the opening riff didn't used to bother me but now my ears just cannot take it. LOL. I once was one of those wild women at concerts who flung their long hair around and stutter stepped out the Beats and riffs. Those days are gone, baby, GONE!
      Oh, yes, Colorado is COLD country for us little California kids. Those temperatures of 45* would have me rushing to turn on the heater and pull on a sweater and my UGGs. BRRR!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much. We fought for the next generations to be anything and be accepted any damn where they wanted to be. We owed it to our daughters. We were the feminists! RAH!

      Delete
  5. #6--I cannot imagine the same season year-round. At 65 degrees we Mainers are thrilled to wear shorts and sandals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are TOUGH! Lol. It does gets a bit colder in winter but to be honest, it very seldom gets down into the 30's or lower. Except of course, in the mountains. Then we haul out the gear and take to the slopes.

      Delete
  6. The seasons are the only thing I dislike about where we live, although I like the change in the trees. I guess it's mostly winter that I dislike, all that cold and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 🥶 People who have farm animals are stuck in the cold winter weather. And, as you say it's the only thing you don't like. The clean air and the quiet are things no one can put a price on. And, as you say, all the beauty of it. I lived on my grandparent's farm, and I can still remember the beauty of it. The springtime, when the little creek started trickling across the woodlot making that certain sound ... I loved it all, tiny as I was, and that little spring sound stayed with me, as well as the glorious sunrises and sunsets. And the QUIET! The Air was so clean!

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..