Saturday 9: The Best (1991)
|Mz Tina, the Eternal.....|
In memory of Tina Turner, who died on May 24.
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Here it is.
1) In this song, Tina Turner sings that she can think of no better place to be than her lover's arms. Since we're entering summer vacation season, let's switch it to: What's the best place you've ever traveled to? It's was after we bought our fairly new but used motor home, we travelled to the Four Corners Region of the U.S. with the Rock Hounds. We visited every national park there. We all had the best time ever.
2) Songwriters Holly Knight and Desmond Child originally offered this song to English pop singer Paul Young. He declined it. Can you think of a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been a better answer? Yes, I can. Plenty of times in my past. Enough said.
3) Tina Turner was born in Nutbush, TN. In 1973 she recorded a song about it called "Nutbush City Limits." Is there a song about your hometown? That’s a no… Because the farmland of Ohio doesn’t figure large in the music world. Not at all.
4) It was at Nutbush's Spring Hill Baptist Church that very young Tina began singing with the choir. She credited those early performances with giving her confidence in front of a crowd. Are you comfortable with public speaking? I was. Now I don't think I would be. I know better how things work. I'd be haranguing everyone and everything.
5) When she was a teen, her mom relocated the family to St. Louis. It was here that Tina played on the high school basketball team. Can you make a free throw? Yes, probably, and this is because I played on a traveling basketball team in high school. I might still be able to sink a free throw. I haven't tried since I broke my wrist and shoulder. though. I stick to wadded up, used kleenex into waste baskets now-a-days.
6) Tina met her second husband, Erwin Bach, at the airport. A record exec, Erwin went to Heathrow to meet her flight and help her prepare for her London appearances. The last time you were at the airport, were you a traveler or were you meeting or dropping someone off? What a sweet love story. Last time I was at the airport, I was a traveler. I was flying home from a visit to my hubby who was working in San Francisco.
7) In 1991, the year this record was released, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury died. What's your favorite Queen song? I really love “Bohemian Rhapsody”. But I do think all their stuff was very good.
8) Also in 1991, Disney's Beauty and the Beast became the first animated movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. What's your favorite Disney movie? I’m really not that into Disney movies.
Well, I’ll pick “Toy Story”. I like that one. That is unless Disney made “Princess Bride”. I’ll go with that if Disney made it. It is practically my all time favorite movie; though, actually, it’s in a tie with “Milagro Bean field War”.
9) Random question: What's your perfect day, weather-wise? Warm and slightly cloudy but also sunshiny. I’ve had enough of this so called “June gloom” which started somewhere around May 1st this year.
Thank you Sam for this meme ... 💓💓💖
Readers, If you would like to join in or see other offerings go HERE to the Linkie