Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday9... Devil in the Bottle

Devil in the Bottle



Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to
answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Devil in the Bottle (1974)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song begins with T. G. Sheppard taking off his shoes to slip into the house with disturbing his sleeping wife. Are you wearing shoes as you answer these questions? Yes, Ma'am, I am. I used to got barefoot EVERYwhere, until I fell in the kitchen during the pandemic.  
I broke and dislocated my shoulder, cracked my elbow, and banged my head so hard I lost my sense of smell and taste - forever. Now I just wear shoes no matter how short the trip.  Trip... hmmmm😏

2) His wife hears him anyway. Are you a light sleeper? I generally sleep about three or four hours at a time.  So, yes, and I have to take a nap after lunch..... and maybe another after dinner.  😊
 
3) This is the first of 22 consecutive #1 hits for T. G. Sheppard. Not bad for a high school dropout. What's the last year of education that you completed?  I have two and a half years of college, so I guess that makes me a Junior? I had to quit because my father just stopped paying for my room and board, and there was no way, with the load I was carrying -two maths etc- that I could pay my own way.   My utterly useless Old Man made a habit of being unreliable but with very HIGH expectations leveled at his children. He trained us well to fear him. This was WELL before Student Loans. etc.

I never was able to go back, even though I planned to go back when my two older girls were in school full time. I fell preggers with what turned out to be twins, so I hated Fate for awhile.  The Witch seemed to always be ON MY CASE! lol

 4) He was born William Browder and chose the stage name T. G. Sheppard just because he liked the sound of it. He says "T. G." doesn't stand for anything, and he gets a kick out of fans who insist there's some secret meaning behind the initials. Since most of us didn't choose our names: Is there a story behind your name? Did your parents tell you why they chose it? (If you did choose your name, share what influenced your decision.)  Obviously, my  name in here I did choose.  Back in the early days of the IRC (late 70's) I chose to go by two names, in case someone was already using one of them.  One was Anna and one was Zippi.  That little stratagem meant that I was almost always able to log in, and my friends could see me. It became "Zippianna" later on .....when the web "grew up"
 
5) It was after hours at a Memphis roller rink when he first met Elvis and his entourage. As T. G. was leaving, Elvis was entering and asked if he wanted to stay and skate longer. T. G. was confused because he knew the place was closing for the night. "Not for me," Elvis replied and T. G. skated with Elvis and his buddies until dawn. Are you good on roller skates?   I used to be.  But then,  I used to be good at a lot of things. LOL!  
I did want to ice skate, too, but alas. 
There was a rink just down the hill from us that I thought the twins would use but even though they took off across the ice the first time they  put skates on, they were never interested enough to want to take classes.  I bet they would have made great ice hockey players. Not figure skaters.  I'm sure they were boys in the last incarnation. lol  

6) T. G. loves NASCAR and was an associate sponsor of the Folgers Chevrolet. He enjoyed the collaboration with the coffee company and has performed the familiar jingle – "the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup" – in concert. Are you loyal to a particular coffee brand? 
 I love coffee, but I am not the shopper.  DH gets it, and I drink a cup every once in awhile. He gets PEETS.  It's very good.  Starbucks dark roast is my favorite.  But Starbucks fell out of favor with DH. 

7) T. G. understands the lifestyle of his fans. That's why he named his live country music venue Guitars and Cadillacs. If you were going to name a business after two of your favorite things, what would you call it?  Knitting Guitarist. I used to play my guitar and sing every day when I was younger.  And I've knit since I was 11 years old, having taught myself.  I love to knit. 

8) In 1974, when this week's song was on the country charts, Linda Ronstadt was getting a lot of radio airplay with "You're No Good." That song is about a real cad. Let's turn that around: Who is the nicest person you know?  I'll go with the gentlest person I know, and that would be my sister-in-law, Patty.  She has always been someone I loved and trusted.  She's also very fun!
 
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read?  Yes.  One of the Rockhounds was a palm reader.  She said I had a nice long life line, and I think she was right.  But, Lord, am I ever tired😫
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Working my way through the thicket of the American political scene. I am trying to not put any of that up on this blog EVER again. Meh!