"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Tuesday, May 24, 2005


This was a wrap that I did of a smooth stone that was brought to me at the Fair. The man who brought it had a friend who was too ill to fly to his father's funeral, so the man who contacted me asked me to wire wrap this stone, and also told me about part of the history of his friend's father.

David was the father's name and he was a Jewish man who had worked hard to save people from the Nazis and had saved approximately 500 people before he had to flee. The stone was very rounded and irregular and hard to wrap but I wanted to have the symbolism of the waves that carried David and his family across the Atlantic Ocean to their new homeland to be represented by the waves across the stone. The little curls at the top of the stone represent the little curls of wave around the pillars of the dock where the ship came to rest, with the ropes that tied up the boat above them symbolized by the twists there.

2 comments:

  1. Finally figured out how to comment...glad I got new glasses and can read the "comment" to click on and get here!

    The story behind your creation of this ring is beautiful and your work very expressive of the feelings of being sea bound to a new land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Patricia, there is nothing like new specs to help the eyes see what was earlier a mystery.

    I felt very honored to make this memento for the son of this remarkable and special human being. He was one of the heroes in a very horrible time. May we never see this again or at least have the guts to stop it if it starts.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..