"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Monday, August 22, 2005

A trip out to the Southeastern Corner of Arizona

Anyone who doesn't love the desert would be bored, but this area of our country is very fascinating to me. There is so much out here and the geology is practically naked before your eyes, and even well preserved, except for that really wet spell that lasted several thousand years since the volcanoes were formed. I wanted to show the trip we took to Luna, New Mexico, and to the Arizona Cactus and Succulant Research Institute below Bisbee but the picture string got so long! I will do that tomorrow.

The man who founded and built up the Garden at Arizona Cactus was a wonderful rustic person, and very gentle as well. He and his volunteers built everything there out of recycled materials and did a beautiful job of it. My pictures hardly do it justice. We were informed earlier this year that he had passed away suddenly and no one was sure what would happen to his life's work. I am hoping that it can be saved. He wrote columns for the local paper and also sent out an amusing newsletter every month. Buenos Noches El Jefe! Via con Dios!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful pictures and stories! I went to NM once, many years ago, and the land remains a source of mystery and delight to me. Your AZ photos brought back some wonderful memories.

    And as for a spinning wheel: with the proper chair (adjustable might be good) you'll be able to spin, as long as you don't overdo it. You need to spin, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely countryside! I have always regretted never making it to the southwestern part of the country while I lived stateside.
    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something magical about that desert. It's almost as quiet out there as probably the Moon. Well, there is the noise of the jets, or sometimes the cattle, who are so curious that they come right up to the tail gate to look into the vehicles. We park on the flat spaces that house their water troughs a lot of the time.

    Jane, you're welcome and there is even more to come, nest stop is Luna, New Mexico back country. And, I am definitely needing to spin. Lace weights intrigue me, and you need a lot of it spun up for much of anything. Presently I'm looking at Louet S75 DTs. I will probably get one of those if DDs smaller one works out. Thanks for the tip on the chair. We have a few of those.

    Karen, I hope you get to see the huge Southwest. There is nothing on the planet like it. I hope that you get the chance to go out and just listen to the silence out there. It's beautiful in it's own way, too.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..