"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas! Night Owlness and Christmas Movies

I've become a night owl again. What's been happening is that we've been watching films, Christmas movies, in the bedroom on the tiny TV, and I just drop right off to sleep for that 90 minutes. This is very bad, as you who fight sleeplessness know. It wrecks a night's sleep. Also, this has to stop as it's winter and too cold in the house to do anything at night, especially bumping into things in the sewing room or studio while bundled up in polartec or trailing blanket wraps.

I've fiddled with the brake on the wheel, and sat and treadled for a day or so to get up to speed and learn the rhythms of the wheel. Also, I sacrificed some old gray yarn, as was suggested by one of the old spinning books, as a means of determining how the flyer was spinning. This is the first time I've really actually figured out how the yarn gets spun.

I've had books for several years on all of this and read the KR forums for a long time before actually entering a post. Sadly they were thrust aside for the sock forum about a year ago, and yes, the pink socks are done! Pictures tomorrow if I can take enough time out from cooking good things to eat to get their pictures taken. We will be playing an online game with our DDs tomorrow, too. This is one of the real joys of the web when so many miles separate a family.

There was a lovely brunch today at my SIL's house and LOTS of little kids were there and some of the adult grandchildren and their SO's, as well. It was very fun. Jaz got to be petted and to play with several of the people he's not seen for a few years. Everyone was in a good mood and we had a great time. In the past this hasn't been the case but time really does change things. The family has opened up it's heart to include so many sorts of people that were once excluded. Sometimes I wonder if the whole world wouldn't be that way if people let themselves really know others better. I was the beginning of the ethnic wedge. hehe And it felt like it, too, for many years. What a waste when it could have all been LOVE and not predjudice. Well, all's well that ends well! I'm glad my children were not influenced by it.

I love my Louet. It is amazing and so quiet and smooth. I was anxious as to whether a squeak would develop on some brass part that would then need a little vaseline applied but so far, I've not had that small bit of maintenance to perform. DH has returned all the tools, especially the covetted phillip's head screw driver that came with the wheel. He really wanted it. Some day it may find it's way to the garage on permanent loan. Shall I paint the handle hot pink?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas (except it sounded like your house was cold?)

    Do paint that handle hot pink - it's the only way you will be able to reclaim that screwdriver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! :o)

    The screwdriver is with the rest of the tools that came with the Louet, and DH said that he would NEVER take it away forever, just wants to use it from time to time. I have embedded a microchip in it for positive identification. hehe.

    Oh yes, our house is cold at night because it drops down to the outside temps ( approx 50 degrees F.) after midnight when the furnace goes to sleep. When we get a new furnace, which is long overdue- this one is almost fifty years old- the new one can stay on at night. It won't sound like an airplane taking off in the side yard.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..