"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Knitting in the New Year

 
Doesn't this really look like Pick Up Sticks?

Well, anyway, here it is, the second part of the New Year projects. I couldn't find the book for the short fingered gloves because it was on the shelf. I'm not used to looking for books on the shelves, only on a stack somewhere. So, today the Hempathy gets cast on, while I search the whole WWW for a worsted weight pattern for short fingered gloves.

What's in the picture are the beginnings of Jane's Hedgewrow socks in Panda Bamboo/Cotton blend, and DH's socks in Lana Grossa Mega Boot Stretch.

Let me tell you about both these yarns. Panda is weird, like a braided yarn. You must keep your eyes on it every minute while starting out and probably as you go round and round. One of the stitches was hung by a thread so thin that it was almost invisible. It was just pure luck I got any of that stitch at all. I will leave nothing to chance with this yarn in future.

The LG is splitty and also collects fuzz off of ANYTHING. I'm sure it has a dust bunny gene or two because it can draw any bit of fluff to itself without moving a nano inch. And, as I was looking at it, I noticed that it was getting scruffy. It's ALIVE! I'm bagging this yarn to keep it from getting worse as I knit off the skein. DH didn't think he would like the way it was going to look when knitted up, because of the colors. I assured him that it would look just like some Ragg socks that I'd made for someone else. only with some beautiful and very subtle color shifts. He is content.

Tomorrow, one each of the two short fingered glove sets will be on the needles and knitted up a bit in the rib. Hopefully the dark, DARK purple will not cause blindness. Did I say that purple is DARK?? I see an OTT light hanging over my shoulder before the year is up. I'm trying to figure out just which one to buy. There are two small high powered flourescent ones by the sewing machine but neither of them is an OTT. Is an OTT light that much better? They are so expensive that a person would just not want to make a mistake!

Oh, I tossed the chenille yarn into the re-cycle bag for Goodwill. I really hate that stuff. Goodbye, Goodbye Goodbyeeee to it. Dreadful stuff!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. those colors are stunning!!! Have a wonderful (neat) new year!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, too M'friend.

    Thanks for your comment about the colors. I'll finish all this stuff if the purple doesn't make me blind. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the Ott light is worth the price, you're paying for the "name." Check out places like Office Depot for good task lighting. My fave is a circular florescent light with a magnifying glass. Woooeeee! I can see!!!

    For the fingers, you can use any suitable glove pattern, but stop when the finger is long enough and bind off as you do for the short-fingered gloves you've already done. No need for a special pattern.

    Yes, some yarns are creatures from another universe, sent here to attempt to topple our civilization. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, Pogonip, thanks for all the handy info on glove on line patterns and the lamp search.

    I'll root around the local OD store as one of the lights in the SR came from there. Looks just like the snap-closing OTT light. Your favorite light sounds just right for the job, and thanks for the idea. I'd like to get rid of incandescent bulbs in general, but anything near the wattage (300) needed for my eyes must go. That's a lot of heat with the light. It's bright but oh so hot for summer knitting.

    Some yarn is evil, like Chenille. Then there is Mega Boot Stretch. I think it is from another planet, just trying to get rooted. I've got my eye on that Mega Boot stuff. It probably would be hybrid and not reproduce true in anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..