"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tea Cozy Pattern

I apologize for the errors. I've never written out a pattern before and this one was a rusty can of nails by the time my poor brain tried to dig around in it again. :)

Two colored tea cozy

3 0z Main color (MC)
3 0z Contrasting color (CC)

Worsted Weight Yarns

Cozy is knit in 2 identical pieces, on two needles, and sewn together afterward. The slipped stitches make it easier to sew together.

NOTE: If you look at the picture of the cozy, You will see that each rib is pulled up a bit tight in the back by the trailing yarn, so that it makes a little rib. The back of the knitting will be fairly flat. The twisting of the colors gently locks this rib into place.

All rows are knit rows. (this helps create the garter stitch poofiness)

For an average size tea pot. 6 to 8 cups, cast on 62 stitches. My smaller ones required only 52 stitches.

I used size 10 needles but you might need smaller ones. If it looks like it's not coming out right for your pot, try changing needle size. It should be only a little bigger than the mid center of the pot.

Cast on ( Long Tail cast on) 62 stitches in MC,

Holding the contrasting color along with the MC, slip the first stitch onto the right needle,

ERRATA: After slipping the first stitch of the main color, you should Knit the next five stitches with the CC or contrasting color. I just re-read my notes. Sorry for the bother! I'm changing the pattern now through out....

Knit 5 stitches of CC, then pull the MC to the front, letting it twist with the CC, knit 5 stitches of the MC, and keep repeating this action until the last stitch, and use the CC color for that last stitch of that row.

Second Row

Slip the first stitch as before, knit five stitches, twist the second color to the front (after the first slipped stitch and five knitted stitches)in this way changing the colors, as you did before, every five stitches in the pattern. Knit to the end, including the last stitch. END of changes.

Repeat this process until you reach the height of the tea pot LID, and then start to decrease

Decrease Rows

Decrease one stitch each color element, knitting just as before and slipping the first stitch, until there is one one stitch left in each color section.

Thread these stitches onto the tail of yarn after cutting. You will use this tail to tie up the top before adding decorative pom pom or rings.

Knit the next section identically.

Sew the two sides together invisibly in your favorite way, leaving an opening for the handle and the spout of the teapot.

Tie up the live stitches by running the tails of yarn they have been resting on, pulling tight to make a small opening. Stitch in all thread ends invisibly.

Make a pompom or rings (Crochet around Plastic curtain rod rings in the two colors) and fasten them on with the top using their little threads.

Hope this is clear, and you can email me at Zippianna AT sbcglobal DOT com with questions. Be sure to mention the Cozy in the subject of the email.

Enjoy!

PS: Sorry for the inconvenient editing and re-editing. I proof read as well as any Bot but not this AM!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, thank you for this cute cozy pattern!

    I'll print it and tuck it away until I find just the right yarn for my teapot.

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Trish, I think I've got an errata on that slipped stitch thing already but I'll have to post it if that is so. So keep the pattern out for a bit so that I can catch up on it. My notes say in black pen, "

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..