"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Some questions about a creative life.

Kelley had some questions on her blog about Living the Creative Life, it's actually a book title.  Since she is an Indy Dyer- of Solar dyed yarns, and though my answers weren't about yarn or any fiber craft I thought they were good questions just the same so am answering them here, too.  The focus was on how we approached our studios and got and kept our creativity flowing in order to create.

These are the questions she asked and my answers:

What kinds of things do you do when you are creating? 

When I am creating a design, I start with a piece of stone,glass, wood, or ceramic material and go from there; I decide how will I form metal around it (forging) or use wire wrapping to enhance it.  Do I want to keep as much of the material intact or grind a lot of it off?  How will I polish it, or will I carve it?  I decide which tools I need and make sure that they are handy, and not out in the garage.

What rituals do you have around creating? 

I'm not ritualistic about creating, I don't have to get into a mood, since I'm basically looking and seeing design all around me all of the time.  I really do not like to be interrupted when I'm working.  That stops the flow of mental imaging that I do to "see the transformations that I must make to get all the parts to go together and fit the design that keeps evolving in my head.

What is your space like?

My space has everything I need to work the metal or the stone.  It's approximately 17'x15'.  There's a tall work bench that used to be used by a computer tech somewhere to fix CPUs and even cash registers, I am told.  It has a hardwood top and shelves underneath it where I store materials.   There's two kilns for glass fusing, and a huge conference table that holds some pieces of equipment that are small enough to be there instead of on the floor.

Do you have some of the same struggles?

I have some of the same struggles of finding chunks of time when I'm not too exhausted to think or my hands don't rebel on me.  Mostly it's physical limits.

Would you be interested in a cohesive group of people where you might discuss this and related topics? This could be on Ravelry, a dedicated group blog, a web ring or the like.

I might be interested, though this isn't a fiber related craft, it's metal craft.

Do you already know of something like this?

I do.  There are at least two clubs that are dedicated to this craft but they are so far from me that I seldom get there.  Also there is an ongoing day long.. 5 hours.. class at a Community College nearby.  But I would be there just for the equipment so I haven't thought of using their facilities.  The clubs are a lot of socializing, and I honestly can't get a lot of work done in that setting.  The big equipment is nice, but that's the only draw. 

I've been struggling with creativity for awhile.  Also, I just don't find the beauty in ordinary things anymore.  I have seemingly lost the ability.  I'm not sleeping well at all, either.  I should be out cleaning out the studio, but here I sit.  lol

3 comments:

  1. Can you explain that about not finding beauty in ordinary things anymore? Like, what kind of ordinary, and why? Of course, if you knew that, everything would be ducky.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to k. Thanks for asking and thereby encouraging me to examine what I said.

    I guess it's that I'm not able to SEE it like before. The Accidental Art series is suffering because I do not see beauty everywhere anymore. This "beauty in ordinary things" might still be there but it doesn't instantly get my attention as it did before.

    Seeing beauty in the ordinary, or the things that go into the Accidental Art topic, was like a little "shock" that ran up my spine. It "snapped" me to alertness. It was thrilling. I expect that it's just something temporary, at least I'm hoping it is. Right now I'm sort of in a "meh" mood. It's probably that. We'll see. Anyway, thank you for making me think about this. It was good to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, this is right up my alley right now. Went to your link..great post regarding one of my favorite books! ..think I'm pulling mine back out to ponder. I'm enjoying your pondering as well. Perhaps I will be posting about it soon...(using the same questions)

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..