"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where were you on September Eleventh 2001?

I was asleep.  When I woke up, I turned on the computer and went to make some coffee.  

Then I looked at the news on my computer.  It was 7:20 am, Pacific DST. 

I remember that moment clearly.  Seeing a headline at one of my news sites about a plane that crashed into a building in New York City, I went to the URL for it.  Then I saw where the plane had crashed, and into which building.  I felt a big jolt in my gut but still thought it was an accident.  As I was reading, the second plane hit.

The shock of the second crash into the twin tower building ( while I was reading updating news) immediately erased the idea in my mind that this was all some sort of horrible accident.  

Then the towers fell.  Nothing seemed  real about that but you knew that it was very real and absolutely horrific.  It must have seemed like the end of the world for the people who were running down the streets or searching for cover.  I thought of the firemen.  I started immediately to calculate the number of people that could be inside, some 50,000 that could occupy the towers let alone the huge numbers that passed through them each day. 

I am forever grateful that all air traffic was stopped across the country.  Without that happening so quickly, there would have been more tragedy that day. 

Then the heart break grew as the day progressed.   Like millions of others around the world, DH and I sat and watched with great sadness as the news rolled on and on.    Something I'll never forget is the outpouring of love from around the world  - all the candlelight ceremonies and especially the pictures of one in Iran.   All of it was very touching.  What has ensued is a monstrosity of it's own dimensions.

This video is of the Commemorative Monument, to the American People, from the Russian People.





I won't be posting tomorrow.  So, I am going to share this story today.

Edited to add this LINK BACK to a tribute post made on this blog to a victim of the Terrorist attack in 2001,  Veronique (Bonnie) Nicole Bowers.

4 comments:

  1. I woke up early that morning which is unusual for me. I turned on the TV to catch the local news while I made coffee and knew right away that something was wrong because the Today Show, rather than a local broadcast, was on. "Horror" doesn't come close to how I felt when I learned what was going on.

    I will always honor the heroes of United Airlines Flight 93 who saved us from even more tragedy while grieving for all those we lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was a few blocks away. the second plane shook the building i was in (i was on far side-away from towers) enough, the my coffee 'trembled' in the cup.

    With the second plain hit, our building was evacuated (a good thing, when the towers went down, we lost power--as did much of the area.)

    I used to walk to WTC (E train subway teminal stop) It wasn't the closest subway, (at the downtown end) but was at the uptown end.

    For the next week, i did boring clerical work (on a computer)at an alternate site-- that restored email and communications for the EPA.

    The EPA workers were among the first responder's--so my scut work helped--It helped restore communication--and let them do what they did best. (those who stand and wait (or sit and do boring data entry) also serve)

    I was back to working inside the "no go" zone in 10 days--The closest subway exit was closed--at the top of one of the subway stairs (4 blocks from WTC) sat one of the plain engines from the second plane.

    I will be posting tomorrow--a repeat post, but..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to get organized to go to swim therapy. Walking back and forth between the livingroom and downstairs bedroom, blocking the TV from my husband. He was watching Regis Philbin (sorry I forget the name of his show but it involves his name). Suddenly my husband was flapping his hands gesturing me to MOVE IT. I glanced at the screen just as the second plane hit. I didn't want to go swimming that day but husband thought I should. Glad I did because my swim pal Wendy decided to come too, and her daughter was flying out of Boston that morning. She didn't know if she was on one of those flights or not. Thank the Lord she was on an earlier flight, but we were all glad we were there that day to help Wendy get through a few hours of absolute torture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for sharing your own experiences about that day.

    I remembered that on that day, and several days afterward, my arms ached and ached! It was very weird but I've been told that that's how a body will sometime react to absolutely horrible,unthinkable events, and to being helpless to do anything for others involved.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..