"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Monday, September 12, 2011

Class For The Undecided

Today was a class for people getting knee replacement.  As the nurse went through some of the items on the big wad of papers we all were given, there were audible gasps from here and there.  We asked a LOT of questions, and she did a very good job of calming the seas.

Afterward, when we were walking out of the building with a man from the class (who was obviously in a lot of pain from his knees) he remarked, "I'm just not sure whether I want to go through with this or not!", echoing my own thoughts at that juncture.  He is a soccer player, and coaches his children's teams.  I could tell he was really thinking hard about being told that heavy contact sports after a knee replacement were not recommended.  In fact, one of the cartoons used in the slide show was of soccer players bashing each other.

   

I remember thinking, "Here's a fellow who is at least ten years younger than I am, and he is very likely to have to give up a sport that he loves and enjoys sharing with his kids, and their friends, on the teams he coaches - and all this wonderful stuff - so that he can be out of his pain.

We talked about having gone through all the other treatments and finally ending up at this place, at this time, with bum knees.  So, I said a little prayer for him to have his heart put at ease and to be guided by those wonderful unseen Hands that are always there, nudging or leading, pushing, and some times grabbing us back from the brink.  I've been expecting to be grabbed back from the brink if this isn't the exactly right thing for me.

My fellow pre-op patient friend had been through the same years of "other" therapies, and that had quit working for him, too, bless his heart.  I thought of Jazzie, and how hard he'd fought to stay alive all the nearly 13 years of his life.  I thought of my little hero.  Ya, I think I can do this thing.

Since we'd skipped lunch, DH asked if I wanted to go to Whole Foods on the way home.  Wow, did I ever!  But, I stayed in the jeep, and did a session of "Clouds With Music Therapy" while waiting for DH to emerge with snacks.  With the beautiful voice of IZ on the car radio, and the crows flying those long, slow glides they sometime fly when they are looking for "downed foods" on a parking lot, it was totally peaceful and wonderful after all that scary stuff in the class.  *snicker*  Yes, I am a wimp!
I felt like I was in Paradise. Here's a Sky Watcher posting!  Make 'em big!  Come fly with me!


Storm's coming type clouds

The Palm trees enhanced the experience.



And the reason we stopped by Whole foods was to see if they had any of my favorite snacks.

They didn't but these will have to do.  I miss Staff of Life.


The Knitting Weather Report:

It's 83 degrees, and Billowing Thunderheads are lurking all along the mountains, with rafts of clouds floating around looking to get together later on after dark.  But,  it's a good day to knit.  So, I'm off to knit more on the socks.   Happy Knitting is wished for all of you!

AND YES!  I am through editing this post!  I'm going to go watch "Hoarders Season Two"!


4 comments:

  1. Okay, Miz Zippi, now that I know what the surgery is all about! Best of luck to you. My cousin Jean had one of her knees done in January or February and the other done in May. She is SO GLAD she finally quite putting it off. Her range of motion and quality of life has improved by many times. She said the best part was waking up following the surgery without that constant debilitating ache. Sure there was some post surgical discomfort, but that passes - QUICKLY. You go girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Lena (in her mid eighty's) says about her knee replacements: My knees are the only part of my body that works!

    The first few days are the worst--every one says so--but most report by day 7, the pain is about back to before the surgery, and by day 14 everyone is amazed--the still hurt, but so much less than before, they actually forgot things could be so pain free. and every day is better!

    It IS scary--but I've never heard any say they regret getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best for you upcoming knee surgery. Constant pain is exhausting and really saps the spirit. It will be good for you to get some of your "go" back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Karen, OfTroy, and Ellen. I'm so glad that your friends and relatives are doing so well, and are out of their pain. Yes, Ellen, I want my "go" back! Have to move more to keep the bones strong, too!

    I'm starting to worry a lot less, happily for DH who hears all the angst, and my Technicolor "Daymares" about what happens during and after the surgery are lessening,too. My brother's surgery was nightmare for him, and he spent months in the hospital. Happily, I'm not a vet!

    Thank again for all your encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..