"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Sunday, September 22, 2013

A lot about Autumn, or Fall, if you will. It's Sunday Stealing time!


Fall / Autumn Meme
Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of memes from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent memes. You may have heard of the expression, “honor amongst thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we also have our rules. First, we always credit the blog that we stole it from and we will “fess up” to the blog owner where we stole the meme. We also provide a link to the victim's post. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") We do sometimes edit the original meme, usually to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, sometimes to select that meme's best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from either this new meme or recently asked questions from a prior featured meme.
Let's go!!!


Perfect little Half Heart of fallen leaves, found February of this year
We don't get "Fall" leaves until sometime in January or February
Fall/Autumn Meme 

 First of all, is autumn your favorite season? Why or why not?  
 It's my second favorite season.  I like the Winter/Spring that we get here.  Summer is the only season I loathe and dread with a loathing that can give me heart palpitations!

Is it ‘autumn’ or ‘fall’, to you?  
It's Fall, though Autumn is probably a better description for this "clime", since the leaves don't actually fall until well into winter.

What kind of weather does your area get during this season? 
We can get really hot weather but mostly it's very nice weather, with cool night temps.  Sometimes there are daytime temps in the 80's and even the 90's but mostly days are in the high 60's and/or the 70's and nights stay coolish. 

Were you born in an autumn month?
No, I was born in the dead of winter when it was snowing.  Maybe this explains my loathing of Summer?  The only thing good about summer is the produce.  Fruits!

Even though it doesn't say so,
this photo c/o addorganicgardening.com


Do you pay attention to any ‘fall fashions’?  
I used to.  Now I don't pay any attention at all to fashion, except that I've got this unbearable wish to sew dresses, and skirts and make blouses.  I get an urge to go through the patterns and sew in Fall.

Which leaf color is your favorite?   
I like the bright reds as well as the purple ones.

Is it still fun to rake the leaves and jump in piles of them?  
 We don't get piles of leaves but if we do, I go down the street and rake them up for our mulch.  People seem to appreciate it.

When can you really tell that it’s autumn?  
 When people start lighting fires in their fire places.  It's always premature and smelly because a lot of others still have their windows open to get cool fresh air in the house!   This strange "firestarter" behavior, at the end of summer, is  called "Red Flannel Fever" where I live. 

Do you enjoy carving pumpkins?  
 I love it, but gave up on it when the kids left home.  I have some plastic ones that are used yearly. 


Do you eat the pumpkin seeds? If so, do you put any kind of flavoring on it?  
We used to roast them, salt them, and eat them plain.  Of course, plastic pumpkins give only plastic seeds, something for which I've not found a decent use.  ;-)

Are you planning to go to a pumpkin patch this year? 
No.   But the kids used to love doing this.  We usually went to Valley Center to get pumpkins.

Which was your favorite Halloween costume to wear?  
 I used to like dressing like a pirate.


Are you planning to go trick-or-treating? Why or why not? 
I can't eat the candy we give away so I never thought to go trick or treating, too.

Are there any county fairs or festivals held nearby during this time?   
No, our county's fair is in June.  Really, June?  duh!

What is your favorite dessert for this time of year?    
Any time of the year, pie is my favorite. 

Is your Thanksgiving Day in October or November, if you even celebrate it?   
November.   

If you do celebrate it, where do you usually have Thanksgiving dinner?    
With family.

Do you remember any crafts you used to do that were autumn-themed?   
No.  I can't remember anything other than carving pumpkins.  I did make something once.  What was it?  0h!  A table cloth and napkins that were from Autumn fabric.  They were so pretty.

Are any of your favorite bands doing a fall tour this year?  
I don't think so.  Boyce Avenue is not coming here, to my knowledge, and neither are any Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar artists.

Which new TV show are you looking forward to this season?    
I don't watch TV. 

How does autumn typically make you feel?  
 I feel lots better in Autumn.  The nights are cool, the days are wonderful.  I love it.

What color do you always associate with autumn?  
 Orange is prominently fixed in my mind.  It's almost the Signature Fall color, to me anyway.

Is there a song that always reminds you of this season?    
Gee, I don't think so.  "I'll Be Home By Christmas"?



Do you have any seasonal traditions?  
 I decorate for Halloween and for Thanksgiving.. Fall, I guess you would say.


Spring is Easter, Winter is Christmas, and Summer's on it OWN.  It's my least favorite because it lasts from Mid April to the end of September, getting hotter with each passing day!


Do you spend a lot of time outside during this time of the year?    
Summer, yes, at the bay.

 Autumn, no, unless we end up doing the side yard this year.  I want to spend a lot of time out in the garden in years to come.  When it's safer for me to walk out there.

How can you tell that fall is over?  
I can't really tell.  I guess I know when Christmas is here, and the last of the tomatoes is off our vine, that "Fall" is probably over.

What is a typical autumn outfit that you wear?     
I can wear my wool socks again at night, and I like my fleece clothes more, too.  Corduroy pants, yes I wear those now.  And, silks turtlenecks are back IN my wardrobe for nights.  Sometimes it can seem like summer clear into rainy season, in January.

Describe a perfect autumn day:    
It would be Indian summer; you know, crisp cold (cold is relative) nights and semi-balmy days.

Do you hate it when stores start promoting Christmas early?  
Yes, and it gets worse every year.  But, they are trying to survive on the little money they can drag in from the 98 percent.  Poor people!

What is your favorite thing about this season?  
 Truthfully?  I love it because I know that Summer is almost over!  

10 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Red Flannel Fever and I love that as a description of the time. I really enjoyed your answers and your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone on radio invented the malady but it is such a funny one to remember every year when people light fires in the fire place and have to open all the windows or sweat. At least it's like that in Southern California. hehe

      Delete
    2. PS. I forgot to say thank you! This one was really a fun "project". It took me a long time to get back to the comments. I was out of reach of a computer for a good while and then came home sick with a tenacious bug!

      Delete
  2. ooohhh... I forgot all about the smell of fireplaces! I don't have one, but I love coming home at night and smelling the neighbor's nearby fireplaces burning in the night air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hail, Bookmammal! Fire places are nice. With ours, we need to put an insert in so that the fireplace doesn't suck more cold air in than it heats! I'm thinking of buying a Holiday crackling fire video for the TV this year.

      Delete
  3. I always love digging into my fall clothes--but by April I'm sick of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kwizgiver, I know what you mean. You really get tired of heavy clothing as well as heavy weather. Here we only have two seasons that pretend to be each other just about anytime that we make plans for the Wet, it gets Dry. We never know when the beach will be the best place to be in December!

      Delete
  4. I'm fascinated by the thought of a purple leaf in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday, just a few weeks, I would like to be somewhere back East, watching the leaves turn. Isn't the purple in the leaves amazing? Thanks for stopping by and reminding me to look for purple leaves, too!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..