"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thankful Thursday and a Merriam's Chipmonk who came to dinner!

Firstly, I'm thankful that I am feeling better.  Thankful for DH's tender care, and something that must have occurred while I was sleeping, some powerful something like lots of sleep maybe.  My dreams were of baking and fixing foods, though I've never actually mixed rice into pasta before but in this dream, I did!  I don't think it sounds any better when awake than it did when I was dreaming about it!  I was a very unhappy cook in that long, disjointed dream.

I'm thankful, Great Spirit, that it is finally FALL!  I'm celebrating with a new header for awhile!

And, with no further ado,  I'll start a sharing of the Photo Horde from the trip to the Santa Cruz County Mountains, and nearby environs.

First, the Merriam's Chipmonk.  Several of these cute critters came rustling around the short undergrowth and leave litter in three different camp sites.  I think they knew a morsel or two would be made available from our vegan feasts.

I used many sources to make sure I wasn't wrong, but I like THIS source a lot
because of the many pictures of other chippers and ground squirrels to compare.

Mostly we camped at the land of crooked trees.  A perfect place to be when Halloween rolls around.

Henry Cowell's was partially closed but they opened back up the big half to accommodate  travelers who had been bumped out of the National Parks because of the furlough.  This time was a boon for the State Parks but it was a very sad state of affairs for the National parks and their users.  Climbers, especially some who were from Europe, were unhappy, and some others who were in wedding parties were extremely put out.  One group had planned for years to have their wedding at Yosemite.  

Happy notes...
Wolfie got lots and LOTS of Cuddles:
Wolfie and Gee
Wolfie helps DH with the Crossword

Wolfie, sleeping under my sweater.


It got cold up in those mountains.  There was only one other time when we actually used the heat in the RV, and that was 30°F weather in the Sonoran Desert one January.  That was the night that tiny Jazzie wobbled up to me and snuggled up against my body, poor baby.  He weighed three pounds and that kind of cold is just too much for such an itty bitty fellow.  We started putting out some self heating pads for him and made him a little shelter from then on.  We'd heard enough horror stories about people smothering their tiny pets!

View of the sunrise through the crooked trees. This was the same cold (BRRR!) morning.
Taken out the back window of the Bounder.
Back with more tomorrow.  We had a great time with our daughters, running around the countryside meeting neat people at Farmer's Markets, etc.  There was a gathering, at the Saturday Cabrillo College market,  of farmers and artisan bakers - as well as others,  who are promoting the practice of eating locally grown foods.  I bought a coffee cup from a potter who may or may not be world famous but he is terrific and lots and LOTS of fun to chat with, too.   Until Tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. Family of scurry-day. Pretty perfect!
    Camping is best in the fall. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I'd love to have access to a fireplace, this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi k. Thanks for your fun comment. Isn't it great to run and around and Howl, as once was said, with the "pack"? I do love camping in the fall. And having a fire pit at campgrounds is so good. One thing we have to learn to do is to pack the jeep full of firewood before we head north. Every stick counts!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..