"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday9, Aretha and you are talking cars, Bebé! And, Saturday Komeekz - yet another use for bacon grease?

Freeway of Love


Welcome toSaturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Freeway of Love (1985)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Aretha's ideal car is a pink Caddy. What's your dream vehicle?
A Pink Porche Speedster.




2) Have you ever owned a convertible?
Owned, no, but I got to drive my mother's chopped 50's Oldsmobile, Oldsmobile Yellow, to High School and college.  My very first car was a cherry apple red 55 Merc. but the Paternal Unit needed money so he sold it.  I needed to get a REAL job but those weren't all that great in the back of beyond!

3) Aretha longs to "drop the pedal and go." Are you a careful, conservative driver? Or do you enjoy going fast? 
As does Aretha, I like speed.  I've driven several old muscle cars to the peg, Mama!  I gave it up for solid citizen status when I got married, except for one straight 6, overhead cam Pontiac Firebird Sweet, sweet car!


We had this after the older kids were born.  Lordy,  that was the BEST car!  I pegged it, too, on the back roads, sans family.  So yes, I like speed, or rather liked.  Amongst the motored beings, I love cars, Airplanes, and Sewing Machines, in that order!

4) Aretha's grandmother Rachel helped raise her. Tell us about one of your grandparents.
My Grandfather was a rich man's son, but he left home when his father died, and his mother remarried someone my grandfather could not stand.  He joined the Merchant Marines at 14 as a cabin boy, and traveled twice around the globe, earning his Master Mechanic rank while doing so.  He then came to land, and stayed, becoming a Heavy Equipment Operator and earning a Master Mechanic license which stood him well during the Great Depression.  Sadly, he died only a few years after my Grandmother did, so I only saw him a few times after we'd moved to California.  I loved my grandparents so much.  From my grandfather, I got the love of singing and of playing the guitar.  I was supposed to get his guitar when my aunt got it, but she got everything of value stolen from her, and two instruments, a violin and his guitar, were part of that theft.

5) Aretha played a waitress in the 1980 movie, The Blues Brothers. Have you ever worked in food service?  Yes.  I did a stint at a non chain burger joint when the older girls were tiny, so that I could buy my dream guitar.   It was a Regal Dreadnought.  Lovely thing but not that cheap.

6) Aretha was a chain smoker for decades and had a terrible time giving up cigarettes. What habit do you wish you could break?  At my age I've broken all of them.  I was in the habit of knitting or sewing nearly every spare minute. I wish I could get that one back!

7) A sculpture of Aretha is at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in New York City. What's the last museum you visited?  There's a beautiful Museum of Modern Art in Santa Cruz that I'd like to see again soon.  We visited it a few years ago.

8) Since Aretha has many honorary degrees, it would be appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you addressed by his or her title (Officer, Father, Pastor, Dr., etc.)?  Hahahaha!  That one's easy.  It is Doctor!

9) The daughter of a minister, Aretha enjoys singing "church music" and her 1972 CD Amazing Grace is one of the best sellers in gospel music history. Do you have any gospel music on your phone, iPod or MP3 player?  I have a lot of stuff on the nannie.  I'm not sure what because it can't be accessed anymore.




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!


And, now for something completely different!

Saturday Komeekz!

Make it bigger.....

Have a great Weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I could never imagine being on my own at 14. My grandmother did it though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine it either. Even though our two grandparents were so young, I think many children in their generation left home a lot earlier than is now the norm. At that time my grandpa was able to be hired as a cabin boy in the MM which just amazes me as that wouldn't happen in this day and age.

      Delete
  2. So sorry that the guitar was stolen. Such a loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gal, and it was a great loss, to me. My Aunt just didn't realize that it meant so much. She shouldn't even have still had it. I have the memories though, and can still hear Grandpa's voice in my memory, all this time later, singing, "The Yellow Rose of Texas" along with us, teaching us the words. So, that makes me happy.

      Delete
  3. Zippi, your link on Sat9 is broken. But I found you anyway. I wish I knew more about grandpa's and grandma's earlier life....I'll bet it explains a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up Banker Chick. I'm having a hard time keeping the link ups straightened out. It has to be my fault somehow and I'm trying to fix everything. And yes, it is hard to know if anyone who can tell you anything about these things has gone to the happy hunting ground. My maternal aunts were my last link but they were sort of unreliable. Axes to grind you know.....

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..