"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Queen! Saturday 9!

Crazy Little Thing Called Love



Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Crazy Little Thing Called Love (1980)


... because Diana suggested Queen

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this video, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury is wearing a leather jacket. Do you have a leather jacket?
Yes and no.  I think it's still in the closet but it doesn't belong to me.  Mr. Z. bought it from a friend at work who had brought it back from Bulgaria.  It must be made from the ENTIRE hide, not just the top grain layer because that sucker is heavy.  You could make a pair (maybe two pair) of work boots out of it, the kind that lumberjacks wear.  

2) There's a statue of Freddie in Switzerland. There's another statue of him above the Dominion Theater in London. Tell us about a statue or memorial in your town. 
Ok, you know about the one in Balboa Park.  There is a statue of Mark Twain sitting on a bench in Fashion Valley somewhere, if memory serves.   And then, there is this:

3) Mercury said this song was inspired by Elvis Presley. What's your favorite Elvis song?
This is the first one I ever heard.  The paternal unit absolutely forbade  that his kids would listen to either Rock and Roll or to Elvis Presley.  That was about the time that he bought mother a little transistor radio. Big mistake on his part. LOL!  It wasn't long before my brother and I each had our own because we constantly borrowed hers.  She bought them for us and they came with an earplug.  For a failed Catholic the paternal unit was terribly provincial.



4) This song was covered by the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks. Do you still watch cartoons?
Feature length ones, sure; they are an art form.  We just watched  one on Netflix.

5) The members of Queen met while attending Ealing Art College in London. Are you still in touch with the friends you had in your late teens and early 20s?
Just one... Sweet M.

6) During Queen's hey day in the 1980s, Mercury stayed in shape with tennis and swimming. Are you more accomplished on the court or in the pool?
Actually both, back in the day.  But, well, not anymore.  If Mr.Z and I had been rich and had a pool and tennis courts it might have been different.   The Pacific Ocean served for many years.  God knows, and everyone else on the planet that reads this blog knows, I love that ocean.

7) In 1980, when this song was popular, Brooke Shields made a jeans commercial where she said, "Nothing comes between me and Calvins." It actually only aired for a short time because so many viewers called and complained about it. Have you ever called or emailed to protest something you saw on TV?
TV?  Not bloody likely.

8) 1980 is also the year the Post-It note was introduced. What's the last Post-It you wrote?
One on the computer, that has a little post it feature.



9) Random question: Do you blush easily? 
Hardly.  I am SO over blushing.  Unlike this adorable little bird.

23 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh the 'parentals' with Rock and Roll. Thank God for transistor radios and no one caring where you were for 8 hours out the day...back in the day!!! Transistor on my bike in the park from morning til dinner! Have a great weekend! ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary; yes, Rock and Roll, such a bad influence! The Devil's Music!
      And, wasn't it great to be young back in the day? It wasn't quite so dangerous and Mothers let kids ride bikes, go walkabout, and be gone til dinner time somewhere. My poor kids, I had to know where they were every hour of every day, and it gave them fits! Sadly,there were good reasons for this. Hope you have a great weekend, too, thanks!

      Delete
  2. You never fail to make me laugh :-)
    Isn't it great to be over blushing though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to make you laugh! And yes, it's great to be over the blushing. I could really turn red-faced when I was young.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Another Ocean lover! Yay! All my life I wanted to be close to it. Then we moved to the very edge of the bay in a backwater. You could go put your toes in it every single day. I'm so in love with that ocean.

      Delete
  4. Is that sculpture by Seward Johnson? I love his stuff. I know it's controversial, and maybe it's not high art, but it always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. And it's high enough "Art" for me, too, though I do covet a Rodin - or maybe just a couple from the sculpture garden in Balboa Park. I still love the bronzes that sit on benches around and about the city. They are Trés Kool! They make me giggle.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It is isn't it! It's down by the harbor by the Midway Aircraft Carrier, and the Maritime Museum. If you come here, it's a "must see"! I'll try to get a blog thing up about that area this summer.

      Delete
  6. What a great sculpture! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing statue. Everyone wasn't wild about it, but it's quite becoming to our waterfront. Maybe I'll get a snapshot up her skirt. Just kidding!

      Delete
  7. You've got all of the good statues. That sailor nurse one is huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Navy town, what can I say. lol Balboa was a sailor, too. Darn, we were doomed!

      Delete
  8. Real flush v. fake flush or was it a royal flush?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice site. I used to do blogspot as well, then I transferred to wordpress because it had more organizational control. I sometimes miss blogspot.. I like this meme. I hope I can participate next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this MeMe is fun! Good to see you doing the memes. About Wordpress, I have tried to use it, but ended up not doing anything with it. I like keeping a blog there because it usually lets me comment on wordpress blogs.

      Delete
  10. Wow, that video was from '57, I was 9 years old! My brother had all the Elvis 45s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a Youngin then! In 57 I was 14. Boy, that was a long time ago! lol.... "You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog" is the first song I remember from Elvis. I heard it on my little radio. ;o)

      Delete
  11. I love that statue!! I think it's lovely. Jailhouse Rock is one of my faves, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi you amazing gal! And we have all started to love our statue, unlike the "surfer" that was installed a little to the North around Carlsbad. I'll do another post on that one. It "gets dressed up" for Holidays and things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi you amazing gal! And we have all started to love our statue, unlike the "surfer" that was installed a little to the North around Carlsbad. I'll do another post on that one. It "gets dressed up" for Holidays and things.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..