~*~A Summer Place~*~
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: A Summer Place (1960)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Want to play along? Go HERE
1) This song highlights the soundtrack from the movie A Summer Place, which is about two teenage lovers named Molly and Johnny. Did you ever have a youthful summer romance? If so, what was his/her name?
Yes, Mr.Z and I met at a neighbor's party the spring/summer that I was 19. I was their baby sitter, and he was invited by the host because he was a young and good natured man from work. 'Twas Kismet!
2) The "summer place" of the song/movie is a resort along the Maine coast. What "summer place" are you day dreaming about this winter morning?
Really none, as there's not a better summer place than San Diego. Just ask all the tourists who come to enjoy the surf, the diving, and the sunsets in less than Phoenix temps. Moderately hot even on the worst days, though not recently, when it's gotten up to the "broil" setting, I'll choose San Diego. If you come expect a cold ocean current. It's not like the east coast, which is warmer, and this is due to the effect of the Humboldt Current.
3) In the movie, Johnny was played by Troy Donahue, who is remembered as nice looking but not terribly talented. Can you think of one of today's actors who you could describe as "nice looking but not terribly talented?"
You mean the ones who have trained at the bad actor's school? *wink* *wink*. Honestly I can't think of one in what I watch. I've seen bit players who were not up to snuff but can't name them. Even the teeny child actors are seeming like they were born to it.
4) Molly is played by Sandra Dee, a perky blonde who was one of 1960's bankable movie stars. Two other blondes -- Doris Day and Debbie Reynolds -- joined Sandra Dee in the Top 10. The only brunette to sell a lot of movie tickets that year was Elizabeth Taylor. Do you believe men find blondes more attractive than brunettes or redheads?
No. I do believe opposites attract, though.
5) "A Summer Place" was by far the best-selling record of 1960. Also in 1960, two brothers in Ypsilanti, Michigan, opened a pizza place called Dominck's. That was the beginning of a chain now known as Domino's. What's the last food you had delivered to your front door?
Other than Mr.Z bringing in the groceries he bought, the last ordered pizza was years and years ago.
This may all change if it turns out that I can eat pizza again. Fingers crossed that I can.
6) In 1965, one of the brothers sold his share of the business to his brother for cash so he could buy a VW Beetle. Tell us about a time you had buyer's remorse.
About an hour ago, I ordered a ring from Amazon and five minutes later went back in to cancel it. It was from a jewelry importer who doesn't do enough due diligence of his products. Sheesh.
7) In 1960, novelist Ernest Hemingway returned to the United States from Spain and settled in Ketchum, Idaho. Tell us about the last book you read. Was it a novel or non-fiction?
It was non-fiction, which is mostly what I read. It's called, The Daredevils.
8) In December, 1960, John F. Kennedy, Jr. was baptized in the Georgetown University Chapel. His godparents were Charles and Martha Bartlett, the couple who originally introduced young John's famous parents. Do you have godparents?
Yes, but they are neither of them still living.
9) Random question: You're at dinner with a married couple who begins to fight. Would you intercede and try to make peace? Or would you just sit back stay out of it?
If I didn't know them well, really well, I would back off. If they were old friend's I would start showing my discomfort. If that didn't end it, I would say, "Goodbye", excuse myself and leave. I'm assuming that this dinner is at their home. If at mine, I would go start uncoiling the garden hose or, maybe fetch the pepper spray?
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!