"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Sunday Stealing: First things first.

Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud
Weiser. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. You may have heard the expression, “honor among thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from, if possible. We also provide a link to the victim's questions in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from recently asked questions from a previously post. Cheers to all of us thieves!


This is another set of questions I found on SwapBot.




If you would like to participate or to see other players posts, Please go HERE.  

First Things First

{1} First thing you would do/buy if you won the lottery:
I'd wait for the housing market  to crash again, and then I would buy a couple of houses for the kids.  Stay tuned for this one...China's market, if it goes belly up, is likely to cause a Gold Rush.  But that's a BIG maybe.  The person who is pushing this idea is a house flipper from way back who only cares about the $$$ he can make, not about the families and people who need houses.


Daryl Cagle, Cartooning for Peace
Caglecartoons.com

{2} First person you call when you get amazing news:
I haven't gotten Amazing news in over ten years.  If that were to happen, I suppose I would tell my kids first.  Oh wait!  Our daughter graduated with highest honors from Berkeley in 2014.  But, she and her sisters already knew that.  Who else who cared needed to know?

{3} First thing you do when you've had a bad day:
If I had a day like one a couple of months ago, I'd have a big gin and tonic just like I did then.  I'm so over worrying about not drinking when bad things happen.  The mental stress is terrible.

{4} First movie you went to without your parents:
Well, it was when I was just a kid at the time that 25 cent matinee's were still going.  It would have been a cowboy movie, on a Saturday.

{5} First sport you played (Little League-style or in 
school):
Soft ball. In grade school.  The boys didn't like to let girls play but I could hit, run and catch as well as they could.  So I got to play.

{6} First major injury:
Breaking my back when I was in my twenties.  It's been the bane of my life (physically) ever since then.

{7} First product I use in the shower:
French Lavender soap.  Yardley's is my one luxury.  

{8} First apartment or house on your own (away from you parents!):
It was a little studio apartment and was really sweet.  It was in a one story converted barracks, and small but furnished nicely, with windows that looked out onto trees and a lawn.  I had a fabulous little stove that was from the 1930s.  It was tan with green and had the oven next to the burners.  I wish it had been mine, I'd have never parted with it.  It was just like this one... I was very proud of my little apartment.  
Pinterest


{9} First Roommate(s): 
At college.  I had a DOLL of a roommate.  She and I stayed friends all of our adult lives.  She passed away several years ago.  I still draw strength from her example, of picking up the pieces and going on, when she lost her 19 year old son.

{10} First Time Living Away from Home:
 When I was eighteen and went to UCLA

{11} First magazine subscription:
I started buying Woman's Day and Family Circle on my own when I got married.  I subscribed to both at the same time.

{12} First real piece of jewelry you owned:
Silver earrings I made for my newly pierced ears.  I've almost always made my own earrings.

{13} First time staying home alone:
The summer I was 17.  My parents and siblings went on a rare vacation, but I had beautiful Shadow and wanted to stay home with my dog. I took him to the mountains and we wandered unfettered and free.

{14} First thing I reach for in the fridge:
Most of the time it's water or an apple.  If there was a pie in there it would be a bloody temptation not to eat it!  

{15} First car accident or traffic violation:
When I was 17 and helping my family move house.  I was driving my own car and had to make multiple trips. On the last one, towards late afternoon, I was waiting to cross a four lane highway, with the sun in my eyes, and though I looked both ways, I missed seeing a car and started to pull out.  A very alert driver avoided broadsiding me but just.  He and his wife were very kind, and such a good people.  My car got most of the damage but that was ok.  No one died because he was a really good driver.

Bonus:  Toilet paper, over or under? 
Myself, I don't care.  But Mr. Z likes it rolling from under.  

8 comments:

  1. I can even imagine how terrible it must have been breaking your back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long, harrowing journey, and it's still a problem to this day. I didn't know it was broken until too late and I'd gotten decent doctors, but learned it later on in life after rebuilding it with yoga and ballet. Now it's collapsing, and there isn't much to be done about it. Actually, I feel lucky and blessed because it could have been so very much worse.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Our children were similar ages, mine a little older than hers, as she married later. His death was devastating to her but she worked her way through that terrible loss, and had a little happiness after that. She was an amazing person.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I am sorry you broke your back. Damn bodies. They just don't hold up well at all, do they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Country Dew. Since I was pretty young, and clueless, it healed itself over time. And, though it was still a little tender, I could live with it. The Ballet and Yoga did wonders! That is until I got into my 50's. That's when I was sent to a crappy chiropractor who jumped all over it and broke it all loose, so to speak. He cracked my back alright. Now I'm not even as tall as my short, little mama was.

      Delete
  4. A broken back? Oh my goodness! I cannot even image the pain. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baseball players used to play with a broken back. I thought that it was crazy when I heard about it years later.
    It took me several years to get back strength in mine because a year after it happen happened, I was preggers with twins. I am glad I didn’t know how badly I was hurt, or might not have had the babies. I can’t imagine life without them. It didn’t help my back but not knowing was the best thing that ever happened.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..