"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Sunday Stealing: A book meme

Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on WTIT: The Blog authored by Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. You may have heard the expression, “honor among thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from, if possible. We also provide a link to the victim's questions in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from recently asked questions from a previously post. Cheers to all of us thieves!




Want to join in the fun?  Go HERE to the "mother Script". *wink*

This was stolen from designindigo, a site which no longer seems to be live.  But we all seem to be readers, so I thought this was fun to do.

And away we go!
Did someone say "books"?
These are a few of mine.

1. Do you prefer hardcover, paperback, or Kindle...and why?
I like physical books best, hard back first and paperback second, (despite my answer in #10) because  there are just more of them.  I also like to use Guggenheim site and something called Overdrive for getting at the stacks at the libraries.  I do like having books for and on the kindle because I can carry a TON of them around with me when I travel. 

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it ...
I would name it  Strawberry Moon Bookstore.  Strawberry Moon Studios was my craft business, and  I already have a registered trademark for the logo I created for that.  That name is popular because the "Strawberry Moon" is the June Moon, named by some of the plains tribes.  My two eldest daughters were born in June, and I thought it was a pretty name.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is ...
I haven't got one.  There are dozens of quotes that I find amusing, uplifting or enlightening, and it's impossible to choose a single one.  I think I have one in the side bar by Seneca.  That's one that I never want to forget.  It has held it's truth through the ages.

4. The author (alive or dead) I would love to have lunch with would be ...
Jane Smiley. I think she would be very interesting, especially I would like to understand more fully what it takes to write something like her book,  The Greenlanders.   How did she go about the research, character development, etc.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be ...  What is the SAS survival guide?  
Anyway, I'd bring my Chinese Book of Change, translated  by Thomas Cleary.


The Bible is something I don't really need anymore.  The new commandment:  "Love one another as I have loved you." is all I need to remember it seems to me.  That does it for me.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that ...
....could be used for a book mark that would neither mar the page nor ever slip out.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of ....
Sadly, dust.  And I am allergic to that.  Some of the old leather bound beauties smell like old leather, which is pretty nice.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be....
.... Mogli from Rudyard Kipling's, The Jungle Book   I would just like to be that close to a friend to the animals.  And I'd like to be an unspoiled child again.

9. The most over-rated book of all time is....
Anything that was written by a real hack, and fortunately I can no longer remember her name.  Sorry to be a tease.  She was tremendously popular.  A bff left me a whole library that I thought would be enjoyable to read but a third of the way into the first one, I just had to load them into the good will box. Sorry Di!
I'm not tremendously picky, but I just didn't like this gal's airy fairy writing style.  I must keep in mind that I really love Annie Proulx.  Just so you know where I'm coming from. 

10. I hate it when a book....
....has been dog eared and abused, or, when it's been used as a napkin.  UGH!  That's part of the appeal of NEW books, and also the kindle editions.  No one has sneezed on (other than yourself) or dropped spaghetti sauce on, the copy of a kindle book you are reading.

10 comments:

  1. I like the name of your bookstore. I would definitely want to go in and browse.
    Your answer to #10 made me think of the episode of Seinfeld where George wants to return an expensive book and they won't let him because he read it in the bathroom. It couldn't even be donated to the thrift store because somehow they knew it had been a "bathroom book." It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I will have to look on YouTube for that one now. lol
      Glad you like the name. You never know, I might actually start a small business on Amazon selling used books! I wish they let people have tiny, micro businesses out of say, their camper vans. Well, you can, at the swap meets. Hmmmm??? *Thinking* ;o)

      Delete
  2. I love the name of your bookstore too. I'd love to browse around in there. Stacy is like me, associating life with Seinfeld!! Have a great week!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I have enough books to start a bookstore, but of course I just can't sell them. And I'm not lending them out either. heehee.... I have to see if I can find that skit on YouTube. It sounds hilarious! And a "Have a great week", coming right backacha! xoxo

      Delete
  3. #10 is precisely why I LOVE my Nooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes! I had two but I gave away my daughter's paperwhite to my sister, but she no longer uses it. Maybe I'll ask her for it back.

      Delete
  4. I love your bookstore name, too. Would those have been Danielle Steele books, perhaps? I can't stand her stuff. It is all the same, sort of like the Hallmark movies currently showing for the holidays. My husband and I watched one last night (this is like, our 4th one, he says he is trying to cheer me up), and he said even he could write one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the bookstore name, the logo is cute but I can't find that old file. And, about that (shudders) author, you got it in one! Tell your husband he could cheer you up by writing a parody of a random book of hers! Wouldn't it would be hilarious?!

      Delete
  5. The gadget you mention is unnecessary if you use your Kindle. That's one of the perks of my kindle--if I fall asleep, it keeps my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's one of the things I love about the Kindle, too. But, we need one for print books. Maybe taking an iPhone picture of the last page you read? lol

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..