"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Saturday 9: Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree....

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every
Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (1971)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? 
Hear it here
Want to join in the fun?  Go here

*In memory of David Cassidy, who died on 11/21/17*

1) This song mentions celebrating the holidays in "the new old-fashioned way." What's a holiday tradition that began with you (or your generation)?
Not celebrating Christmas?  We celebrate a sort of Yule, like the rest of the world not encumbered by myths of births, etc.  And, I believe in the wondrous birth of Christ, but not at Saturnalia.

2) The lyrics include dancing, caroling and pumpkin pie. Will you enjoy any of those three between now and year-end?
Sure.  I intend to eat more pumpkin pie, even if I have to bake another entire one just for Mr. Z and me, and I'll make a mince and a pecan, just because.

3) David Cassidy and The Partridge Family were intensely popular for a short period of time. For example, this song was from the best-selling Christmas album of the 1971 holiday season. Have you added any holiday music to your collection this year?
Not yet, but if I can download something I like I will.

4) In 1971, the official David Cassidy fan club had a membership that exceeded both Elvis' and The Beatles'. Have you ever joined a fan club? 
I consider Patrick McDonnell to be,
 A Perfect Angel of the First Degree

I've never been that attached to any celebrity.  Let's see, I'm a fan of Mutts.  Does that count?   

5) David recalled that his first hero growing up was the Yankees' Mickey Mantle. When you were a little kid, what grown-up did you look up to?
 I adored my maternal Grandfather.  The other grandfather I never met.  He wasn't dead.  He just wasn't around for any of his grandchildren.

6) David was a notoriously bad driver. In 1990, he was sentenced to traffic school for speeding. He was late for the class because he was stopped for speeding en route. Do you have a "lead foot?"
I used to love speed, and the faster the better.  But I never really came afoul of the law over it.  We lived sort of in the back country when I learned to drive in the bed of the San Gabriel river, like half my high schoolmates did. When we REALLY moved out to the back of beyond, there were not many cops around.  But, I did quit speeding once I had kids.  I now consider 65 mph too fast for any real safety.

7) David's parents divorced when he was only four years old. He and his mom lived with her parents until he was 10. Have you ever lived in an extended, multi-generational household?

Yes, I have.  Right before and during WWII, three of my aunts, my grandparents, Mother and myself, and all my cousins lived in one house.  I still consider it a wonderful experience.  I think families who stay close are the best for a kid.  I LOVED it.  My mother's eldest sister (by a year) lived close by, too. Her farm was just a little way up the road from Grandpa's farm, so she spent a lot of time with us.  Her husband (who was a farmer) also went into the army, as did psycho-dad, and my Aunt D's hubby at the time.  Grandpa built all his unmarried kids and the little grand kids a sort of big dormitory in the big attic room of the farm house.  We giggled a lot up there as our two younger Aunties kept us "in stitches".  Grandma and Grandpa slept in the main floor bedroom so they didn't get as upset with us as our mothers (two) who slept in the second floor bedroom.

Rant Alert!

I'd like to say this about my dad.  A few people over the years have expressed that the war made him like he was.  People may think that the War caused the paternal unit's problems, but believe me, it did not.  No war has ever caused the type of behaviors that he indulged in. Not ever.  He was a terrible monster.  My life, and the lives of my mother and little brothers, all fell apart when he re-entered our lives.
I honor my mother in always acknowledging the ways she tried to protect her children when there just wasn't much of a safety net for women and their children in those days.  I can't say strongly enough, that we JUST CAN NOT GO BACK TO THOSE TERRIBLE times!  Too many unworthy guys become fathers.  Women HAVE to be educated and allowed to be as free as any man in this country.  Ladies, We just can not back down on this!

I can forgive him because I DO NOT want another little child to suffer, if the Buddhists are right, and I suspect they are.  I don't want that to happen.

8) In 1971, when David and the Partridge Family were at their height, the US Mint introduced the Eisenhower Silver Dollar. Think of the last thing you bought. Did you pay with cash or plastic or your phone?
That would be two summer dresses, and they were paid for through Paypal.  That's not really plastic, or the phone, or cash, well, maybe it classifies as cash?





9) Random holiday question: Let's talk regifting. Tell us about a time you regifted, or you received a present you suspect was regifted.
Back in the rock hound days, starting in the early 90's, we nearly always had a Christmas party that included a gift exchange (with a twist) of White Elephants.  I re-gifted a big, almost florescent fruit bowl,  and also received a gift back that was re-gifted.  Those rock hound years were great fun, and they came right at a time that I really needed to have fun.  Some of us still get together at Christmas time but dozens of us are gone to the great "Rock swap in the sky".  The Happy (rock) Hunting Ground?

14 comments:

  1. We're agreed on many things today. I also believe in Christ but not his birth in December. Facts suggest it was probably in the spring. Some also believe it was in the fall. Since we aren't totally sure I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter WHEN I celebrate his birth as long as I do celebrate. What a wonderful time it must have been at your grandfather's house! It sounds like the Waltons! Did it take you an hour to say goodnight to everyone? LOL Yes, any guy can become a father...sadly, I see nearly as many women these days who have no business having children. Our society is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Christ. I think he was born in the Spring. I'd never heard the Fall thinga. And yes, but never at Christmas. I like to think of his life as a "full circle" and Easter is my day.
      Kids are getting a very raw deal as more and more damage is done to the generations by forces beyond a lot of parent's control, housing, finding a job that pays enough to feed a family, etc, etc, etc... It's sad. We are a mess because of the way our "overlords" can never be voted out of office. To be blunt. I blame Vulture Capitalism, aka Godless Capitalism. No matter how much noise the ultra right makes.

      Delete
  2. Women need to believe and support one another. Your words here this morning are important!

    You know, I don't think I've ever had a mince pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Gal. I am worried sick about any force getting anymore power over women's choices. My daughters do not have to suffer anymore of a diminished future that is already looming for them. We actually outnumber men. It's time we had a bigger voice because we speak for not only ourselves but also for our children!

      Mince pie sounds awful but there is actually no meat in it at all anymore. It's raisins, and other fruits and it's delicious.

      Delete
  3. I think you are right about families that stay close are the best for kids. I only saw my cousins on holidays and we were never close. My brother's family is scattered all over the east coast (NC, NJ, CT, and ME) and I see them also only on holidays. In today's economic climate you have to go where the jobs are and that breaks up the families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are. And it's sad. Many people are stuck with this problem. They move away to find jobs that pay enough, and not just the rent. Oddly, the move we made here was so that the girls could have their paternal grandparents and aunts close by. It's something that didn't work out well for our little family, but that's what happened.

      Delete
  4. A running joke with my out-of-state sisters is that I'm going to get "Granny pods" on their properties and move in when I retire from teaching.

    I'm listening to Leslie Odom Jr's Simply Christmas and it's my favorite new one this year. What a fantastic voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to leap to the bait, and listen to that album. The little Granny Pod, is that like a tiny house on wheels? lol
      Two of my daughters are now renting a "Grannie Flat" at their good friend's house. Gee says that we'd like it better than the old house, which was nice but crowded. The Grannie Pod your sisters are talking about sounds like it would be lovely, too!

      Delete
  5. One reason why I do not like to speed is that I am afraid of some animal being on the road. I was once on the interstate when a German Shepard mozied onto the road. Scared the daylights out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. And a little child is never very aware of what's going on when, say, a ball goes into the street. I obey all speed limits and sometimes, like on the freeway, I stay in the far right lane and go a little slower. 65 is too fast. We saw, and tried to rescue a German Shepard on the freeway one year. DH did, with some other people. He looked me in the eyes and said, "Don't you get out of this van!" before he went to try to help. It didn't end at all well, and I will never forget that experience. dreadful.

      Delete
  6. I think your multi-household probably saved your sanity, Zippi. I'm glad you had that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it did. And, periodically, we went back and spent 6 months with my grandparents, supposedly so that my little brothers could be born. Our grandparents paid for the train fare. I recognize now that mother was probably deciding whether she was going to separate from the Psycho. He was a law student at the time, and probably intimidated her in some way into coming back. That's when he did something to my little brother, and fatally hurt my littlest brother. I have a very sharp memory so now it's letting me piece things together.

      Delete
  7. I would love to have had your family experience. My mother was one of 10 kids and though the oldest ones were out of the house when she was born at least 5 of them or more grew up with her, and the older ones were around a lot

    I hope everyone reads your "rant," which is very powerful.

    We used to go to those white elephant parties. I got a piece of ceramics done by a renowned local artist. Nobody at the party was familiar with her and I feel I really hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is so lucky to get something like that as a White Elephant. It's nice to know that!

      And yes, I hope other's see that rant, and maybe it empowers them to "just do something" to make sure the lawlessness doesn't keep growing and marginalizing half the human race! And the latest is that the OWB believes Roy Moore, because Moore says it didn't happen. I think it's time for women to decide that this IS about as far as this freak show can be allowed to advance. They are killing our democracy.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..