"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sunday stealing: Art History meme




It's Sunday Stealing time all you little computer board pirates!
Welcome back to Sunday Stealing which originated on the WTIT Blog with Bud Weiser. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. You may have heard the expression, “honor among thieves”. In that age-old tradition, we try to credit the blog that we stole it from, if possible. We also provide a link to the victim's questions in our "Previous Victims" widget. (It's our way of saying "Thanks!") Sometimes we edit the original meme, to make it more relevant to our global players, to challenge our players, to select the best questions, or simply to make it less repetitive from recently asked questions from a previously post.
Want to join in the fun?  Go HERE

Cheers to all us Thieves!  and......Now,  The Questions...

The Art History Meme

The ART HISTORY Questions.

Classical: If you were an Olympian god, what would you be known for?
Eos, and I would bring the Dawn.  It's the loveliest time of day, ranking right up there beside  Sunset.

Byzantine: Do you prefer gold or silver accessories?
Silver.  Gold doesn't look good on my yellow tinted skin.  
For that reason, I rarely wear yellow, though I love the color.
Lemon Tart Dahlia from Sunset Magazine

Medieval: Are you religious?
I am a disciple of Christ.  
And I strive to be Spiritual without being religious.  

Gothic: What is your favourite historic building?
The Taj Mahal.  A building that is definitely not Gothic.  

Renaissance: Have you ever had a time in your life when you felt enlightened or changed?
Yes, and it was a riveting experience that still lasts, to this very day, in vivid memory.  It still informs my entire life.

Baroque: Do you enjoy the finer things in life?
Though I love Artistic creations and beautiful things, I don't have a burning desire to own any of them anymore.  Museums are fun places to indulge this passion, and nowadays, even photos are thrilling enough.
Ain't it Purdy?

Rococo: Is your bedroom full of trinkets and pictures? If so, which pictures adorn your walls?
I have a framed print of the Northern Lights over the twin bureaus.  And there is a 5x7 framed print (from my sister) of my favorite Post-Impressionist, Paul Cezanne.  This is on the wall next to the bed.  The other adornments are books and baskets crammed with yarn.

Neoclassicism: If something came back into fashion, what do you hope it would be?
Everything I truly love, meaning something I could live with forever,  has already come back into fashion.  I like Craftsman Houses and furnishings.

Romanticism: Do you often see things in a positive light?
Are talking about Artistic Style?  I don't like Rococo style very much. 

Blech!

And, despite what I carp endlessly about, I do see things in a positive light.  I know that there are cycles that come and go even in a "democracy" for instance.  But this is the closest to collapse that we have been since the civil war.  
But, then, even if that happens,  better things may rise from the ashes. Well, maybe not better but they WILL arise..... If you like HUGE wrist breaking Post Apocalyptic novels, give Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose, and Foucault's Pendulum a spin...



Pre-Raphaelite: Which book would you like to see turned into a film?
It's a Poet/writer, not a book, and it would be a film about  Christina Rossetti, though I'm not at all sure that a contemporary filmmaker would do her life, a somewhat living hell, justice.

Impressionism: Do you look for details or take everything in at once?
I look at the whole of something, and then carefully dissect it.

Art Nouveau: When were you last at the theater?
A seriously long time ago.  Years..  We used to go to the Starlight Center Stage, the San Diego Opera season, and the Symphony.  Long ago and far away... 

Surrealism: Why does the porcupine think it's a duck?
To be fair, we don't know that this is even true.  I'm sure there are paintings out there that say it's so, but the porcupine is not a swimming waterfowl but clearly a mammal, and one who has more sense than any Surrealist painter. heehee  

Pop Art: Do you enjoy pop culture?
I like most Commercial art.  But as a movement called Pop Art?  I think it's silly.  Andy Warhol was set on proving that anything could be sold if you hyped it enough.  I think that time has proven that "art" as commodity has done better than Art with a capital "A".  Andy, wherever you are, Bon chance, mon ami!  Art will rise again!

Contemporary: What did you do today?
Since this is Saturday even though it's Sunday Stealing, I am: 
Eating
typing this out, 
washing clothes 
breathing in and out
Reading my book

And tomorrow I plan to be doing the same.  Rinse, repeat.

Happy Sunday all you Thieves!

And, dear Bev, 
For digging this out and putting it all at our fingertips, Thank you!  As always, this was a lot of fun to do... :o)

12 comments:

  1. I love that little red poodle! (I'm a poodle lover.)
    Bringing the dawn...oh, that would be the perfect goddess job for you!
    Ah, our Craftsman houses. If I should ever win the big jackpot, I'll buy us both one.
    The Andy Warhol museum is in Pittsburgh (his hometown), but I have yet to visit it. It's on my list of things to get to "one of these days."
    Have blessed Sunday and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked her. She must have danced right on out of here because she’s not showing up on my iPad. Hmmm😮😳🤨.... movin’ On.....😉. Ah, we are the Craftsman Gals, ‘tis true...And I shall buy one for you,too, should I hit the jackpot. I guess it’s time to make a “When I Hit the Jackpot” list? ⚡️💰💃🏻

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it!
    I didn't know what Rococo was until we went on a cruise and I got to compare. I discovered that Rococo is a favorite of mine. I love all that ornate stuff. The "blech" photo you posted is something I think is beautiful! I guess that's why people have different tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art was one of my dual majors so I really loved this meme. I like Baroque. Rococo, not so much. Well, I’m a Craftsman, Mission style sort of Gal. 😉

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to see the Taj Mahal in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day I hope that you get to do just that, Kwizgiver. ~♥~ Prepare for a lot of heat, I'm told. I've never set my feet down in front of it, but I know India is HOT!

      Delete
  4. Sorry for the comments problem with my blog. For some reason I am now supposed to approve every comment before they appear, so you might try leaving one again. This was not my decision1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Bev. If only all tech problems were that easy to solve. I thought you had a Blogger blog. If that were so, I could tell you exactly what is going on. This puppy has three separate modes to chose from, and everything has to agree.

      Delete
  5. I read The Name of the Rose a long time ago. I remember thinking it was a strange book. But now I can barely recall what it was about. Maybe I need to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a strange book, probably from a failed catholic author. I liked it because it was so dystopian and intricate. At the time it suited where I thought we are heading. Now I think we are all going to speak Chinese, after they get rid of the Russians.

      Delete
  6. "I am a disciple of Christ.And I strive to be Spiritual without being religious. " Love this saying! And I's like to see the Northern Lights too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ChanElena. ~♥~
      About those Northern Lights. Go while you are young! The best places to see them seem to be Iceland and Northern Canada..

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..