Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Venus in Blue Jeans (1962)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Like the dream girl described in this song, Sam is wearing jeans as she composes this Saturday 9. Is there a lot of denim in your wardrobe? Dresses, and jackets, yes. I don't wear blue jeans anymore. They are now way too uncomfortable. But I miss being able to wear them.
2) Jimmy Clanton likens this girl to the Venus de Milo, the ancient Greek sculpture made of marble and now on display at the Louvre. Is there any marble in your home? I have a couple of marble lamps that I found in a resale shop in the 70's, a tiny marble sculpture that my Bee made one summer, and there's some marble in the rock pile. I love marble.
3) He refers to his girl as "Mona Lisa with a pony tail." The Mona Lisa is also at the Louvre. What's the last museum you visited? San Francisco's de Young ..
4) This girl is so awesome, she's the 8th Wonder of the World! Without looking it up, could you name the other 7? I can try. I don't remember much about them anymore. I do remember that there are actually "the7 wonders of the Ancient World", "Seven Wonders of the Natural World"... Etc... Here goes nothing!
1. The Parthenon
2. The Sphinx
3. The Pyramids
4. Versailles Palace
5. That thing at Rhodes. lol *vague memories of some sort of statue.*
6. Eiffel Tower
7. Manchu Picchu
Well, as we all know, "Wonder" is in the eye, and brain, of the beholder. heehee
5) Jimmy Clanton spent his entire professional life behind a microphone. After he quit selling records, he began spinning them as a DJ. Do you consider the sound of your voice one of your better qualities? Not anymore! haha I sound like a harridan! Having a nearly deaf hubby will do that.
6) At age 80, Mr. Clanton still performs. He averaged an appearance/month in 2018. Some of his fans were surprised that he has let his pompadour go completely white. Do you color your hair? No. When I was in my 60's I dyed it one time. The effort got raves but Gee... what a pain in the neck it was to do. Now, it would be pointless. Nothing can make me look 45 again.
7) In 1962, when this song was popular, Americans were reading about 5-year-old First Daughter, Caroline Kennedy, and her pony, Macaroni. Tell us about a pet you had when you were very young. My pets, when I was very young, and even up into my teens, had a habit of "disappearing". It's not a happy memory. I think that's why I'm totally GAGA over pets now.
8) Decades later, Caroline Kennedy was the first woman to serve as US Ambassador to Japan. Have you ever been to Asia? No.
9) Random question: When talking among themselves, who do you think is more open and honest about sex -- men or women? I don't have any thoughts about this one way or the other. I would guess it to be women if I had to hazard a guess.
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!