It's Late!Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.
Want to play along? Go Here...
1) Ricky Nelson laments that he should have been home hours ago. When is the last time you stayed up later than you should have? What were you doing?
Trying to get tired enough to go to sleep.
2) Compounding Ricky's problem is that he's nearly out of gas. How is your gas tank right now? When did you most recently fill 'er up?
Usually we have to fill up once a week. I think it's whenever the little warning light goes on.
3) It gets worse! He can't call home because he doesn't have a dime for the pay phone. Have you recently been in a situation where you've been glad you had your cell phone handy?
Oh yes. I keep it close, not so much for calls but to hear texts come in.
4) The video for this song is from an episode of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Ozzie Nelson, Ricky's father, was in charge of the show and made the rules. One was that no one was allowed to smoke on the set ... except his wife, Harriet. Do you smoke? Have you ever lived with a smoker?
I don't smoke. I lived with a smoker for 19 years .. my mother.
5) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. According to Tiger Beat, today's teen idols include Johnny Orlando and Ruby Jay. Johnny was born in 2003, Ruby in 2004. Sam admits that before today, she had no idea who these young people are. How about you?
I don't know who they are either. I feel like I'm in good company, Gal.
6) While Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan have posthumously praised Ricky Nelson's music, 1950s music critics dismissed him as a lightweight. What's the last review you read? Was it written by a professional critic, or was it contributed by a consumer to a site like Amazon or Yelp? The last review I read was probably from Amazon, and an amateur wrote it. I sometimes read those reviews if there is a fictional novel Amazon is cutting the price on. I need more fiction in life at the moment, the harmless kind, not the kind that brings us to the brink of war in rl.
Roman Emperor Nero and all that.. yadda yadda....
7) At the height of his popularity, Ricky tried his hand at movies, appearing in the western Rio Bravo with John Wayne. He turned 18 during the filming, and Wayne celebrated by playfully throwing Ricky into a sack of horse manure. Do you think pranks and practical jokes are funny? I think that some can be, but that most are not .. funny that is. April Fool's aside, I think that most practical jokes entertain the meanness in us.
8) In 1959, when this song was popular, the St. Lawrence Seaway was completed. It connects Canada to our Great Lakes. Without looking it up, can you name all 5 Great Lakes? Let's see... Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Great Lake, Lake Ontario, Lake Michigan. If those are wrong, sorry, then I can't do it! lol To be fair, they come up a lot in cross words, my major source of mental stimulation aside from Pinterest and Instagram.
9) Random question – You drive past a local motel and see the car of a very married friend right there in the lot. Would you ask her about it? Heck, no.