"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Monday, May 27, 2019

Sunday Stealing: Short and Sweet... Bookish...

This is Bare bones, and I'm sorry Bev.  I'll try to do better next week.. 
Readers, you are getting a ramble and let the games begin!


Book Questions...

Authors you never get tired of reading
James Michener, John Steinbeck, Jane Smiley, Maeve Binchy, Tony Hillerman.

A book you bought for the cover, and discovered it was better than you thought
Sorry, I don't ever buy a book for it's cover.  That is so not, "me".  

A book that made you laugh and cry, and made you depressed
Wow, all three things in one package.. *thinking*  The one I'm reading now.  I sometimes feel very depressed about what happened to all that area of Asia,  but it's written with a sort of ironic backhand to the British "Empire", and though it shows the resilience of the subject people, it also shows what the British Raj did to destroy so many lives and the happiness of millions of people.  They did a dreadful thing that still is echoing through the country they just ripped apart.  

A book that was a pleasant surprise
It was a bit of fluff, but it really made me feel good. It was actually a series of books written about a little town in Michigan I think.  It's been so long ago.   Pre-surgeries.  They were mysteries and the owner of a little needlework shop solved them with the help of her good friend, a lady cop from the town.  I LOVED them..

A book everyone loves that you don’t
That would be absolutely Anything by Danielle Steel.  To be fair, I don't read a lot of fiction, so I am no judge of it.  

A book with a great sidekick that you like more than the hero
I can't think of a single one where that actually happened ... I like heroes I guess.

A book that helped you through a difficult time
No book has the power to do this for me.  But, maybe, that honor goes to the I Ching. Or, to the New Jerusalem Teacher's addition Bible I got at the swap meet from a sweet old couple.  I was very preggers with the twins and was delighted to find this new version of the Bible.  I read it to rags.  I bought it for $1.50. 

A book that taught you something valuable
George Page's book, Inside the Animal Mind
He also co-authored ( I think but I'm too lazy to dig it out of the book pile right now) a book about the annihilation  of the Native American People, which really brought home the facts of a genocide.  My Daughter Elle told me that the Nazi's studied this terrible history to do what they did in Europe.  I'm sure there are more modern countries who are using what it teaches them to do genocide....

A book or series that it took you awhile to get into
A few of the series of books by Amish writers were hard to slow down enough to read.  But then, I began to love the pace of them, and the sweetness.  I've now read a ton of them.  

A fictional character you’d love to have to dinner.
This question doesn't make sense to me.  Sorry.  If  I could meet anyone, it would have to be a real person, living or dead, that wanted to help me understand the Universe more.  Unless that is a fiction, then I'd like to talk to Nicola Tesla about it.  I'd make his favorite meal.  I'd fatten him up and ask him to stay - clear out the sewing room so he'd have a bedsitting room with a bath attached, and not die penniless in some rat infested hovel.  Talk about a travesty.  Who needs fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..