God 🙏 America
Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? In our city. This is a Navy town after all. There are two that I've seen and been to. One is on Pt. Loma, a National Cemetery. It overlooks the ocean in places, and is very peaceful. And one is in Balboa Park, dedicated to the veterans of WWI. I've been to both several times.
2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents?
No. But, I almost went to see Richard Nixon, just for fun.. But darn their eyes, they moved that convention across the country! I was SO ready to see him. And maybe "give" him a pie. or maybe a tomato. 🍅 heehee Now I don't give a hoot. Assault with Fruit, 20 years in the Pen!
3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?
This is a bad weekend to go ANYWHERE and so no...
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Grandma's Potato salad. She would be proud.
5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?
No, it's been wonderfully cool and rainy for days! But today I think we have an off day for rain, but it's only around 70°F today. We are having an Amazingly wet May this year, thanks to God!
6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA? Our niece's husband, who is a naturalized citizen. And there are several of Mr. Z's old soccer buddies, and their families, who were Canadians, Brits, and Irish, and Lebanese. They are all probably citizens by now.
7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen. "Finding Forester". Rob Brown and Sean Connery. It's an Excellent movie. I'm hoping to find it someday, streaming somewhere that doesn't mean adding another pay channel. Did you see what the BBC did to all of their stuff that they hadn't already sold? grrrrr
8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction? My hand print is there.. I never told you? ;o) Once, when I was about 11, my aunts and cousins came out from Ohio, and we all went. It was called Grauman's Chinese Theater back then. Maybe it still is? Anyway, during picture taking there, I learned that showing ALL my teeth when I smiled was a very bad thing. It, shall we say, brought out the Prussian heritage in me. Pretty Scary!
9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now? This is going to be all backwards, as I didn't hate any food as a child.
Coming up Poor, we ate anything that mother cooked. Also, mother never grew, nor served, Black Eyed Peas -which I HATE with a passion!) I never met them until I was fully adult. It was HATE at first sight. So, I will have to go with what I hate as an adult!
For instance, besides those black eyed thingies, I can not stand a slab of salmon, baked, grilled, steamed or fried.. no way, though I still like fried salmon patties made by mixing green onions, egg and cracker crumbs with a can of salmon. That "sort of " answers the question, yes? My nightmare meal would be a slab of baked salmon on a bed of boiled black eyed peas.
Dear Readers: If you would like to read other posts for this Saturday 9 or participate, HERE is the Link to the Mother Ship. And a BIG Thanks to Gal for always doing this every week. I hope everyone has a safe and happy Holiday Week End.